[0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by cpy »

I wanted to give vanilla factorio a try but meh. :D

Seaworld 0.16! :D

Nsomnia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nsomnia »

Thanks for your hard work! I updated and then realized only Angels mods were updated so I installed to a new folder and downgraded to .15 to play my old game with BobsMods! It told me I dont get acheivments now but meh, I'll get em back in .16.

Take your time I know how aggravating coding can be when things change majorly.

SkullTitsGaming
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SkullTitsGaming »

Hey Bobingabout,
just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your patience with our community. Your mods are a mainstay, an anchor point in the modding community, and we treasure you and your work immensely; Factorio would not be the same without you. Unfortunately, there are some of us whose admiration and appreciation of this work lead to impatience and rude "is it done yet" attitudes, and while it certainly isn't my place to apologize on their behalf (that's their own job, not mine), I did want to make it known that the large amount of time, energy, effort, and frustration that you put in towards these mods is very much appreciated. That you would take the time out of your life to continue to support a modset which blew up way beyond your expectations is tremendously awesome, and whether it takes days, months, or even years of your time before we ever see another update, i hope you know that it will be valued and treated with immense gratitude from all of us-- even if some of us could stand to show it a bit better, rather than whining about not having instant gratification.

If your mods have taught us anything, it is that allocating more time towards an ever-increasingly complex product is always well worth the wait. Thanks for putting in all the work that you do, from the busy-work allegorical mining outpost setup (eg, finding every icon size), to the more complex allegorical deciphering of faulty blueprints (writing, rendering, and debugging the new code), and everything else, thank you for making Factorio so great in the ways that you do.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nummy wrote:Is it a possibility to have mods ready in next week? I have 2 week vacation from 22nd and I would like to emerge into factorio again :D If no I will play normal factorio without mods, so I just need to know what kind of game to start :)
You and me both.
Yeah, The first pass is actually coming along quite nicely, most of the mods are in a functional state, so perhaps monday or tuesday I'll be able to release them.

However, I am currently getting this annoying issue where the game crashes for random reasons... I'll convert the rest of the mods then see if this persists.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Nummy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nummy »

bobingabout wrote:
Nummy wrote:Is it a possibility to have mods ready in next week? I have 2 week vacation from 22nd and I would like to emerge into factorio again :D If no I will play normal factorio without mods, so I just need to know what kind of game to start :)
You and me both.
Yeah, The first pass is actually coming along quite nicely, most of the mods are in a functional state, so perhaps monday or tuesday I'll be able to release them.

However, I am currently getting this annoying issue where the game crashes for random reasons... I'll convert the rest of the mods then see if this persists.
Yaaaaaaay thanks a bunch, take some more days to make sure everything will work. I love original factorio, but the depth from your mods is just incredible... I would take even more if possible. So much chemicals to make, electronics, parts... It takes days to just build a base to produce enough basic items, but this game is soooooo relaxing. I love every bit of it and I think your parts should be the part of the original game as well.

On the sidenote, with 0.15.x I couldn't complete lazy bastard achievement with your mods. In original game it is not so hard, but with mods it seems it is impossible to do it. Am I correct on this one or it is just me not able to do it?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nummy wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
You and me both.

Yaaaaaaay thanks a bunch, take some more days to make sure everything will work. I love original factorio, but the depth from your mods is just incredible... I would take even more if possible. So much chemicals to make, electronics, parts... It takes days to just build a base to produce enough basic items, but this game is soooooo relaxing. I love every bit of it and I think your parts should be the part of the original game as well.

On the sidenote, with 0.15.x I couldn't complete lazy bastard achievement with your mods. In original game it is not so hard, but with mods it seems it is impossible to do it. Am I correct on this one or it is just me not able to do it?
I am hoping the crash is actually related to the game itself, not my mods, and therefore will be fixed quickly. If you snoop through the base game update posts, you should find that 0.16.3 broke the game for me, so I've been running on 0.16.2 to update my mods.

As for Lazy Bastard... yeah, swearing in the game... I'm fairly sure it is unachievable, Someone suggested I see if I can mod the achievement to "Make it easier", and therefore possible with my mods. I would need to know the minimum requirements to do it with my mods, someone calculate that for me. If someone gives me a number, I'll use it. also, check how much wiggle room the base game gives you, I'll probably want to include some too.
I also have a Patreon.

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by LittleMikey »

cpy wrote:I wanted to give vanilla factorio a try but meh. :D

Seaworld 0.16! :D
I suggest playing with Vanilla for at least a bit, otherwise things might be overwhelming.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think I need 105 out of 111 crafts in vanilla. That leaves some wiggle room to craft a pick ax at the start but not much more. I bet they picked 111 of the aliteration.

As for the number needed:

1) doesn't that depend on which combination of mods you use?
2) shouldn't it be possible to calculate that in LUA?
3) do you have a work-in-progress release for your 0.16 fixes? I'm fine with cloneing a git repository or so, no need to officially release something to the mod portal. I don't want to count the crafts for 0.15 just so that 0.16 needs a different number-

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Number of crafts in 0.16 should be the same as in 0.15.

The only considerable change at the moment is that the inserter configuration has been removed from the Logistics mod, and added into the Inserters mod. Remote call still in tact.
I also have a Patreon.

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by LittleMikey »

But can't you not get achievements if the game is modded?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

LittleMikey wrote:But can't you not get achievements if the game is modded?
The game tracks achievements reached for vanilla and for modded. Steam might only track vanilla.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

bobingabout wrote: As for Lazy Bastard... yeah, swearing in the game... I'm fairly sure it is unachievable, Someone suggested I see if I can mod the achievement to "Make it easier", and therefore possible with my mods. I would need to know the minimum requirements to do it with my mods, someone calculate that for me. If someone gives me a number, I'll use it. also, check how much wiggle room the base game gives you, I'll probably want to include some too.
I recently tried it with Bobs, Angels, Marathon Settings, ScienceCostTweaker and I reduced Automation I to 8 red packs (wanted 10 packs, but it was always multiplied by 4 :roll: )
-> I got Assembly Machine 2 with 127 crafts, but I also crafted 6 extra miners and 1 extra assembly machine (because it takes so much research, that it would take ages, with only 1 burner drill). I've done it, after I realized, that I wont achieve 111.
-> I guess I need at least 1 craft for Assembly 3 and maybe oil stuff.

Im not sure, if angels or sciencecosttweaker reduces the craft amounts somehow...
And I think, that you need a quite big static amount at the beginning: pump, steamengine, boiler, power pole, lab, science packs.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

bobingabout wrote:I'm taking a quick look at things... first goal is to make it actually work. biggest issue so far is that icon_size is now mandatory for ALL items/recipes/entities/technologies with an icon.... which is pretty much all of them, except for most recipes. Fortunately most technologies already had an icon size already set due to the malarkey in the previous version, but that still leaves me going though all files in all mods and looking to see if an icon tag exists, and if it does add an icon_size tag if it doesn't have one.
i use search & replace

search "icon ="
replace "icon_size = 32, icon ="

still need to open all files and perform a search&replace action.
all structures have currently a icon-tag maybe need a icon_size ... if not yet than with next update ...
a tag to much gets ignored

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

How ur work going with adapting bob's mods for 0.16? I very like ur adjustable inserters really useful thing, can't wait when this option for rotating will be added in vanilla
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Maai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maai »

YuokiTani wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I'm taking a quick look at things... first goal is to make it actually work. biggest issue so far is that icon_size is now mandatory for ALL items/recipes/entities/technologies with an icon.... which is pretty much all of them, except for most recipes. Fortunately most technologies already had an icon size already set due to the malarkey in the previous version, but that still leaves me going though all files in all mods and looking to see if an icon tag exists, and if it does add an icon_size tag if it doesn't have one.
i use search & replace

search "icon ="
replace "icon_size = 32, icon ="

still need to open all files and perform a search&replace action.
all structures have currently a icon-tag maybe need a icon_size ... if not yet than with next update ...
a tag to much gets ignored
I use the TextCrawler program for such purposes. This program searches and replaces immediately all string in all files in the specified directories. In addition, it can immediately display a string that will be replaced in a file for your chose.
https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/tcscreenshots.html
This is much more convenient for such work than Notepad ++;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Current progress approximately 99%
I also have a Patreon.

Skar264
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Skar264 »

Its always the last 1% that gets yea though

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, Phase 1 is complete (Make things work) with a few small fixes and updates too.

everything should be uploaded now.

See the change log in the first post to see what changes I sneaked through while making things work.
I also have a Patreon.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

Unsorted gem ores still needs an icon_size. (woohoo, first bug report!)

AzraelSorrow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AzraelSorrow »

For some reason, my boilers are now outputting water as of the .16 update. As you can imagine, supplying power is a slight issue.

Return to “Bob's mods”