[0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

supercirno
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by supercirno »

Northgate wrote:
supercirno wrote: Seablock has no raw wood at all. The only options are styrene + butadiene directly into rubber or from the liquid resin chain (urea + formaldehyde being the only one pre-blue). That said, I don't see why not add both recipes. Seablock can then just disable the rubber one.
Honestly this is an issue of the sea block mod. That looks to me as if the creator of that mod just forgot about resin. I don't think it's acceptable to do either of those recipes just to get wires. That's just a basic thing you need quite often. At least I do.
I am certain it was deliberate and not an oversight. Thematically it makes sense, as it's not supposed to be easy to get anything out of sea-water. In terms of balance, power cables and circuit wires do not require rubber. It is only required for structure upgrades, so it is fine where it is currently.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

myricaulus wrote:Well, sorry, its me again.. did you maybe forgot to add those new cobalt gears,balls and bearings to the productivity list?

Also i wonder, if it is indented that you now could craft blue belt in your inventory, because you don't need any lubricant for it? Well i mean you still need 4 different resource ores respective 6 different types of plates to craft them. Which is quite a challenge to design a production line for it without drones.
I'll need to double check, but I think I forgot.
MadClown01 wrote:
myricaulus wrote:Well, sorry, its me again.. did you maybe forgot to add those new cobalt gears,balls and bearings to the productivity list?

Also i wonder, if it is indented that you now could craft blue belt in your inventory, because you don't need any lubricant for it? Well i mean you still need 4 different resource ores respective 6 different types of plates to craft them. Which is quite a challenge to design a production line for it without drones.
You still need lube for the bearings
that's not actually until titanium on turbo belts now.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

igorhgf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by igorhgf »

bobingabout wrote:
igorhgf wrote:Hey, i'm new here venturing with bob + angel and i noticed that tank (vehicle) have 3 tiers, with increasing grid space each tier, but the Car only have one tier (with very small grid size). I looked up in bob's subforum and found nothing about cars. Is it supposed to only have 1 tier? Is something that sliped though? Or is just something you didn't have time/attention to implement yet? Thanks for the mods, they're great.
I was at one point going to add a truck, a goods van if you will, that had increased storage space. I just haven't yet.
I like to see Cars get some love. I like using cars for quick move (especially when my base is under attack). But my 8x2 grid size from my car just feel so underpowered compared to tank's MK3 10x6 grid size.

I like the idea of a truck. A specialized vehicle for massive deliveries. To have cars for speed, tanks for armor/firepower, a nd trucks for transportation is a nice way to give vehicles their own kind of "classes".

AndrolGenhald
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndrolGenhald »

So I might've been wrong about the splitters. I just noticed that I had been using assembling machine 2s to craft them, but now they have more ingredients, so they didn't show up in the menu.

Cyan_Leader
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyan_Leader »

The new steel requirements for the red belts are insane for anyone playing with Angels. Feels like I just toggled marathon after updating.
Why?

supercirno
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by supercirno »

Cyan_Leader wrote:The new steel requirements for the red belts are insane for anyone playing with Angels. Feels like I just toggled marathon after updating.
Why?
My guess is that these recipes are balanced around 2:1 steel without any regard to angels or seablock. I like the increased complexity, but an option to reduce belt cost would be nice.

Cyan_Leader
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyan_Leader »

supercirno wrote:
Cyan_Leader wrote:The new steel requirements for the red belts are insane for anyone playing with Angels. Feels like I just toggled marathon after updating.
Why?
My guess is that these recipes are balanced around 2:1 steel without any regard to angels or seablock. I like the increased complexity, but an option to reduce belt cost would be nice.
It's odd to me that all that iron was added on top of the new bronze requirement. One or the other but both? For something as widely used as red belts? It's like you're pushing me to go robots ASAP.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I guess I could help reduce the cost by removing the steel bearings from red belts. (I already removed them from inserters for the same reason)

I'm also open to sugestions on what to use instead of steel gear wheels.

honestly though, 8:1 iron:steel in angels? he's being a dick. A lot of my mod things use Steel as the T2 standard metal.
I also have a Patreon.

Jorn86
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jorn86 »

So I started a new playthrough with the new Logistics and everything. My main experience is that the new low tier "basic" belt is just fine for the early game. Once you set up a dozen or two stone furnaces with tin and iron, it's easy enough to switch to yellow. The one thing I'd appreciate is a recipe to upgrade basic belts to yellow ones, simply to get rid of them. In addition to the normal recipe of course :) (edit: I suppose green science serves that purpose)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the use of more different metals will affect the rest of the game!
Last edited by Jorn86 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

alkarian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alkarian »

bobingabout wrote: honestly though, 8:1 iron:steel in angels? he's being a dick. A lot of my mod things use Steel as the T2 standard metal.
IIRC with angel smelting early game steel is a bit better than 5:1 vanilla rate. 8:1 is very early steel, just to get things started.
Early game gonna be hard -_- And to think I just started deathworld :?
Sing her song and become nothing

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

bobingabout wrote:I guess I could help reduce the cost by removing the steel bearings from red belts. (I already removed them from inserters for the same reason)

honestly though, 8:1 iron:steel in angels? he's being a dick. A lot of my mod things use Steel as the T2 standard metal.
8:1 is only the crude method to get steel (early game), the metallurgy way to get steal is closer to 2:1 really. Just needs some red/green research.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Numbers:

Red belt = 4 steel gears and 4 bearings. (plus previous tier and bronze)
That's 5 (4.66) steel from the bearings and 4 steel from the gears.
At your 5:1 that's 43.3 iron

Old recipe for red belt was 5 gears (10 iron)

For comparison - yellow went from 3 iron -> 2 belt
to 4 iron + tin -> 1 belt

So cost increase on yellow is 2.3x and the red 4.3x. Ditching the bearings would drop the increase to 2x. My only qualm is then the cheap steel flag makes red belt cheaper than it used to be. (ignoring bronze for reasons)

As an aside: Smelting does make the Angels steel cheaper, but when then you need steel to make cobalt steel with angel too. =]

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Arch666Angel wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I guess I could help reduce the cost by removing the steel bearings from red belts. (I already removed them from inserters for the same reason)

8:1 is only the crude method to get steel (early game), the metallurgy way to get steal is closer to 2:1 really. Just needs some red/green research.
Nevermind then, I guess that seems fine.

I'm sorry for calling you a Dick.
Zombiee wrote:but when then you need steel to make cobalt steel with angel too. =]
Damnit. that doesn't help things.
Also I'm not sure why it should require steel, it may be named "Cobalt-steel", but that's just the name for the iron-cobalt alloy, where steel itself is an iron-carbon alloy. The term "Steel" just means "An alloy containing iron".

One of these days I should try to play the game with angels mods.
I also have a Patreon.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

wasn't it decided long ago, that iron is pig iron(very high carbon contend)? cobalt steel with steel is fine, with pig iron it would have to much carbon.

alkarian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alkarian »

minor thing - tech is named 'Express Inserters', but it unlocks 'Ultimate Inserter' now :)
Sing her song and become nothing

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ukezi wrote:wasn't it decided long ago, that iron is pig iron(very high carbon contend)? cobalt steel with steel is fine, with pig iron it would have to much carbon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelmaki ... _processes

New steel processing recipe. Oxygen and Iron in a chemical furnace?
I also have a Patreon.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

Are we supposed to get only one transport belt with 2 iron gears and 2 tin? The recipe feels like we should get two..
Check out my mods

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cartmen180 wrote:Are we supposed to get only one transport belt with 2 iron gears and 2 tin? The recipe feels like we should get two..
Only 1 is right.
I also have a Patreon.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

bobingabout wrote:
ukezi wrote:wasn't it decided long ago, that iron is pig iron(very high carbon contend)? cobalt steel with steel is fine, with pig iron it would have to much carbon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelmaki ... _processes

New steel processing recipe. Oxygen and Iron in a chemical furnace?
is not that, what archangel is doing in smelting mod? i think iron->steel recipe for blast furnace works this way.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zombiee wrote:As an aside: Smelting does make the Angels steel cheaper, but when then you need steel to make cobalt steel with angel too. =]
No?

Cobalt is made from simple carbon and cobalt ore to make their ingots. Steel isn't required for any step along this process.

Nevermind, I just noticed there's two cobalt plates and "cobalt steel" does in fact need a fair bit of steel ingots to make. Might be a little slower to make but still shouldn't break anything.
Last edited by Light on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bob's mods”