[0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

Bug fixes and minor updates:

Library 0.16.6:
Added bobmods.lib.recipe.set_ingredient(recipe, item). use case is the same as add, but instead of adding an item, it edits the count of an existing item.
Added bobmods.lib.recipe.set_result(recipe, item). Use case same as above, but also allows for complex counts with min, max and probability.
Fixed error reporting error that caused an error in add_new_science_pack and add_science_pack

Logistics 0.16.23:
Ultimate inserters now have 200 health in non-overhaul mode.
All inserters have a health update in overhaul mode (in steps of +25 health per tier starting 100 for burner up to 225 for ultimate)
Fixed underground belt selection box offset.
Added fast replace restrictions to belts, so it shouldn't turn splitters into belts while moving.

Plates 0.16.4:
Updated the Logistic tab icon to use new robot graphics
Removed electrum
Added Pure water recipe colours for the chemical plant.

Tech 0.16.6:
Replacing the science pack icons sets icon_size too

Warfare 0.16.7:
Added immune_to_tree_impacts to Tank MK2 and 3.
Added water_connection_patch to reinforced concrete wall
Fixed wall and gate orders.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

hooray empty fix-list :D

Thanks so much for all the little tweaks and fixes, very appreciated! My favourite: Fixed error reporting error that caused an error :P

Nummy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nummy »

Somehow this got proken for me today after updating mods:

I have Bobs, pymods and angels mods installed.

Guys on pyanodoms said:
Go into the pyscience mod files - recipes.lua
Edit line 650 and replace electrum with something else. I chose silver-plates. Works like a charm
But I don't wish to break something or that I will be missing something in game. Can we get fix, so I can get my next dosage of drug? :)

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Nummy wrote:Somehow this got proken for me today after updating mods:

Guys on pyanodoms said:
Edit line 650 and replace electrum with something else. I chose silver-plates. Works like a charm
But I don't wish to break something or that I will be missing something in game. Can we get fix, so I can get my next dosage of drug? :)
Bobs removed eletrum cause IIRC nothing used it. Pya needsto update his mods and until then you need to change the recipe if you want to continue to play.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Nummy wrote:Somehow this got proken for me today after updating mods:

Guys on pyanodoms said:
pyscience is not from pynyadon, it was made by romtos, pyscience was not update for 5 months, remove that mod or fix it yourself.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I did actually announce a couple of months ago that I was going to remove electrum, because it wasn't used in my own mods. Well, a single instance in solar panels. My solution was to use gold instead of electrum, then remove electrum from the game. (shit, I forgot migrations, your electrum will just disappear guys.) Electrum was removed from the power mod in an update 2 months ago, but I delayed in removing electrum to give people a chance to change their mods.

Other mods like Angels have made changes to account for it already.

But yeah, someone posted an answer already, the problem is in pyscience, which hasn't been updated in 5 months, that's from before my announcement that I was removing Electrum.

So, you have 2 options. remove pyscience, or revert to the previous version of bobplates (metals, chemicals and intermediates), There were no critical error causing bugs that were removed, it was 2 minor graphics fixes, and removing the redundant electrum.

This is also why when I access resources from another mod (even my own) I don't assume anything exists, I check to see if it does, then act accordingly, so one small change doesn't break anything. The only things I assume, are base game things (Though with the amount of changes people make to base game, I probably shouldn't even assume there)
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Hey all. I haven't played since 0.15 but I have a question for when we start up afresh:

One thing I noticed last time was that in the later stages, when things are quite maxed out with modules, productivity is so high that the ore patches don't get used up very fast at all. In fact, a lot of the custom ore patches never need new mining outposts. This is largely due to the sheer number of stages that materials go through from ore to finished product, and having productivity modules giving bonuses along the way.

What I'd like to know is if there's any setting I can tweak to make it so the later stages of the game don't have this effect. So that the mining outposts actually have to be reestablished somewhat regularly. The thing is, I felt the mid-game productivity bonuses were about right. It was only when things pushed to the late game that I felt I was barely using any resources to make stuff. Is there perhaps a way to make productivity bonuses give diminishing returns for certain stages of production or something? To be honest, I'm not sure what the best solution is -- I'm just aware of the problem and hoping someone here knows how it might be fixed.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Is there a compiled list of major changes since the 0.15 version by any chance? I'm very interested to see what's happened with Bob's in the last half year.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:Is there a compiled list of major changes since the 0.15 version by any chance? I'm very interested to see what's happened with Bob's in the last half year.
First post of this topic has the complete 0.16 change log in it. that's about as good as you're going to get. Changes are as from latest 0.15 mods.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:
Recon777 wrote:Is there a compiled list of major changes since the 0.15 version by any chance? I'm very interested to see what's happened with Bob's in the last half year.
First post of this topic has the complete 0.16 change log in it. that's about as good as you're going to get. Changes are as from latest 0.15 mods.
Thanks, that's perfect.

I hope for everyone's sake that 0.17 is a release candidate. I'd hate to see you go through this process too many more times. :o

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Recon777 wrote:Hey all. I haven't played since 0.15 but I have a question for when we start up afresh:

One thing I noticed last time was that in the later stages, when things are quite maxed out with modules, productivity is so high that the ore patches don't get used up very fast at all. In fact, a lot of the custom ore patches never need new mining outposts. This is largely due to the sheer number of stages that materials go through from ore to finished product, and having productivity modules giving bonuses along the way.

What I'd like to know is if there's any setting I can tweak to make it so the later stages of the game don't have this effect. So that the mining outposts actually have to be reestablished somewhat regularly. The thing is, I felt the mid-game productivity bonuses were about right. It was only when things pushed to the late game that I felt I was barely using any resources to make stuff. Is there perhaps a way to make productivity bonuses give diminishing returns for certain stages of production or something? To be honest, I'm not sure what the best solution is -- I'm just aware of the problem and hoping someone here knows how it might be fixed.
You can take a look at the Circuit Processing mod. It's a huge debuff to modules and the circuits are really eating the resources. However. I would not recommend it to add it during playthrough.
Its maybe the other side of the extreme for some. Honestly, I drives the difficulty alot. (Its part of Seablock)
Another possibility is to tweak the mod settings of modules, but i dont know a good setting. Maybe disabling raw modules?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:Hey all. I haven't played since 0.15 but I have a question for when we start up afresh:

Sorry for not responding to this one earlier, I was on the phone and quickly answered the later question first.

there's not a lot you can do to cause diminishing returns, due to the way the game works, you do have a few options though. Firstly, you can turn on productivity speed penalty, to give yourself less of an incentive to use those modules, turn off the raw and god modules, and make sure productivity filters are turned on. you can even then tweak the percentile change of modules to decrease their per level step (and maybe give them a slight increase to starting value as to not severely nerf them to start with). I was quite generous with the options available to tune modules. Unfortunately, most of what you change would be trying to do what feels right. Just keep in mind that for every module stat there's a starting point, and a per level increase. these will effect multiple modules, however, productivity is only on productivity, raw productivity, and god modules.

However, there are quite a few instances of intermediates that don't allow productivity to try and balance this, but most of the chains like electronics still do, mostly because it's mirroring how the base game handled it. There's a few where I allow productivity where I probably shouldn't, like Alloying recipes... you literally get more metal out than you put in with those. Ore kinda makes sense, you waste less while processing, but to take a few plates of tin, and some more of copper, to end up with a larger volume of bronze afterwards? doesn't make much sense.
I also have a Patreon.

Karlito15
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Karlito15 »

I would add two points here:
1. Ore patches not running out is also connected to the mining prod technology. If this is (really late game) in the hundreds, you reach the point where you get x3 or x10 the actual ressources from a patch. To avoid this, just don't research it, I guess.

2. And this leads to the second point: You can always just regulate your own usage of modules, perhaps:
- don't put more than two modules in one given machine (just ignore the empty slots)
- don't use lvl 8 modules, just stick with lvl 5 or something
- ignore the higher lvl beacons (which are really OP) and keep using the normal ones (I do that myself...)
- don't module some things at all. Maybe module science and other expensive stuff and don't module smelting to use more ore. Or the other way around, something like that.

I hope you get my point, just because something is usable, doesn't mean you have to if it seems OP to you.

(same logic applies to other maybe-OP items like better power armor stuff and tanks and turrets and ...)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Karlito15 wrote:I would add two points here:
1. Ore patches not running out is also connected to the mining prod technology. If this is (really late game) in the hundreds, you reach the point where you get x3 or x10 the actual ressources from a patch. To avoid this, just don't research it, I guess.

2. And this leads to the second point: You can always just regulate your own usage of modules, perhaps:
- don't put more than two modules in one given machine (just ignore the empty slots)
- don't use lvl 8 modules, just stick with lvl 5 or something
- ignore the higher lvl beacons (which are really OP) and keep using the normal ones (I do that myself...)
- don't module some things at all. Maybe module science and other expensive stuff and don't module smelting to use more ore. Or the other way around, something like that.

I hope you get my point, just because something is usable, doesn't mean you have to if it seems OP to you.

(same logic applies to other maybe-OP items like better power armor stuff and tanks and turrets and ...)
And disable productivity modules in beacons. That's really total overkill. Otherwise you can start a rocket from just one ore.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:And disable productivity modules in beacons. That's really total overkill.
That was only added by request, it should be off by default.
I also have a Patreon.

Broskev
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Broskev »

Hello there! Is there a plan to include the changelog also to the in-game place for it? It would be very convenient to see changes directly in the game. I'm sorry if that question got already answered.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I did actually try to do that at one point, but couldn't get it to work.
If I figure out WHY I couldn't get it to work, I'll do it.
I also have a Patreon.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

bobingabout wrote:I did actually try to do that at one point, but couldn't get it to work.
Problem is formating

Each version need to be separated by line of - with length at least 60, zero indent
Each version need to contain version tag ( Version: number), zero indent
Each version might optionaly contain date ( Date: dd. mm. yyyy), zero indent
Each version need to contain some section (changes, fixes, features, ....), section tag is indented by 2 spaces
Each section should contain content, indent 4 spaces ... max lenght unknown

If any line in changelog is invalid, whole changelog is ignored

I did today reformat my changelog to working format, not uploaded yet (only on github)

Arch666angel has few mods with working changelog, you can take a peek

Or official changelog in factorio data folder

Working changelog https://github.com/mexmer/ScienceCostTw ... ngelog.txt

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mexmer wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I did actually try to do that at one point, but couldn't get it to work.
Problem is formating

Each version need to be separated by line of - with length at least 60, zero indent
Each version need to contain some section (changes, fixes, features, ....), section tag is indented by 2 spaces

I did today reformat my changelog to working format, not uploaded yet (only on github)

I did try copying all that on my first attempt. Someone once pointed out that it isn't working because I used "bugfixes" instead of "fixes", someone else pointed out that I added an extra white space on the end.

in my opinion, this is WAY too picky.
I also have a Patreon.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

bobingabout wrote:
mexmer wrote:
Problem is formating

I did try copying all that on my first attempt. Someone once pointed out that it isn't working because I used "bugfixes" instead of "fixes", someone else pointed out that I added an extra white space on the end.

in my opinion, this is WAY too picky.
you tell me, i spent almost hour reformating my changelog and reloading factorio :evil: :cry:

but now it works for all versions

i had simple log in simple form (it's still in first post in my mod thread)
version
- what changed (mutiple lines)

Return to “Bob's mods”