[0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:One of these days I should try to play the game with angels mods.
Simply put, the ratios for Angels are not that good early game but some slight research makes it more efficient and eventually giving greater yields as you progress. Some metals can be mixed with the metallurgy mod to give more of the one you want, making use of less utilized metal for a huge jump in ratios. That's the entire point is to tech into the more efficient recipes so you're not always at a loss, the research has more meaning.

Example for steel:

A small amount of manganese (early game ore) combined with some steel ingots (made from a few iron ingots) will pop out 24 steel plates. Depending on how the ingots were processed this can be a greater yield than what was put in.

Same difference here but another step down the tech tree, cobalt and nickel are used to create a whole 36 plates which is a major yield gain for steel at this point.
---

As a devoted Angels player, any complaints over getting metal is instantly negated by rather easy tech paths at their disposal, but also makes it easy for complainers to cherry pick the hard or worst parts to form their arguments. Red belts are simply obtained a little slower or later than we're used to and that's hardly a problem given they're meant to be obtained slower now. By the time red belts are researched the better steel ratios are starting to become available, which is why I can't complain even if I felt like red belts were necessary that early on. (Which they often aren't)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

My only real question with that is... if you're already making "Steel" that can include Cobalt, how do you make the "Cobalt steel"?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

8Zn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 8Zn »

Jorn86 wrote:The one thing I'd appreciate is a recipe to upgrade basic belts to yellow ones, simply to get rid of them. In addition to the normal recipe of course :) (edit: I suppose green science serves that purpose)
I'm looking forward to seeing how the use of more different metals will affect the rest of the game!
That would be very nice!

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:My only real question with that is... if you're already making "Steel" that can include Cobalt, how do you make the "Cobalt steel"?
I made a mistake and forgot that cobalt plate and cobalt steel plate were two different things.

Cobalt steel plates do in fact require a fair amount of steel, but by the time Mk3 tech and express belts are in use it's alright I suppose. Honestly, its use was so minimal in my factories that I can't judge how big of an issue it would be, especially given four or six lanes of red belts usually served me fine until way later on when steel ingots were made en masse without any concerns. Unless said person is rushing express belts for some reason, I don't see it being any issue personally.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You've got a higher cobalt to iron ratio in steel than you do cobalt steel!
I also have a Patreon.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

bobingabout wrote:You've got a higher cobalt to iron ratio in steel than you do cobalt steel!
Not necessarily, completely depends on which recipe was used to make the steel ingots.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:You've got a higher cobalt to iron ratio in steel than you do cobalt steel!
I believe that was a balance decision given cobalt ore is a rare material until blue science when you can make ores directly in greater quantities. As mentioned, Angels works on the principle of rewarding smart tech choices for better yields and efficiency, so cobalt must be obtained alongside a ton of other ores until you unlock direct ore creation.

Earliest cobalt ore:

Most efficient cobalt ore but also more expensive:

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

This whole discussion remembers me of the the discussion made for the Interstellar Mod of KSP about in situation resource utilization (ISRU) chemical processes. I did learn quite a lot back then about chemistry. I really appreciate your effort to make the game more "realistic" in this regard, so i like the oxygen steel recipe. Although this will again mess up everything in my factory:-D. Maybe make it a higher tech additional recipe for a good iron steel ratio , while the old one remains with a bad ratio? On the other hand the usefulness of iron is already quite lower than vanilla. Especially after you changed the belt recipe to prefer the other materials.

I am already looking forward for the first superconductor Hg12Ti3Ba30Ca30Cu45O127 to create a Fusion power plant :-D I just need some Cinnabar and some Barite to start ;) The other stuff is already available.

Btw: How about add some lead for the nuclear power plant recipe in the revamp mod, i can imagine that it would be quite handy there :geek:

xordroid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xordroid »

Hi, since the recent inserter changes I noticed that filter inserter behave differently when setting the filter via signals.
Normally when sending multiple signals to a filter inserter which contains only one filter slot (for example the stack filter inserter) the filter would be set to the biggest positive signal.
But recently the value of the signal doesn't seem to matter. When sending two (positive) signals to a stack filter inserter, the filter is always set to the same item, no matter which signal has the higher value.

Was this change intended? Or am I just wrong about how filters worked before?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

xordroid wrote:Hi, since the recent inserter changes I noticed that filter inserter behave differently when setting the filter via signals.
Normally when sending multiple signals to a filter inserter which contains only one filter slot (for example the stack filter inserter) the filter would be set to the biggest positive signal.
But recently the value of the signal doesn't seem to matter. When sending two (positive) signals to a stack filter inserter, the filter is always set to the same item, no matter which signal has the higher value.

stack filter inserters have only 1 filter, while normal filter inserters have 5. Maybe thats the reason?

xordroid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xordroid »

jodokus31 wrote:
xordroid wrote:Hi, since the recent inserter changes I noticed that filter inserter behave differently when setting the filter via signals.

stack filter inserters have only 1 filter, while normal filter inserters have 5. Maybe thats the reason?
That's exactly what I mean. If you only have one filter slot and try to set multiple filter via signals, normally the filter is set to the signal with the biggest value.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I don't really do that myself, so I can't really say.

however, what I can say is, I CHANGED NOTHING!

The new yellow, red, and blue filter and stack filter inserter entities are literally just scripted clones(okay, it's a code copying function, not a script) of the existing filter and stack filter inserter entities, with their name, speed and graphics changed. so all the things that control how they operate is the same.

and even in the case of green and purple, the inserters are manual copies of the original fast, filter, stack and stack filter entities.

And even if I did change them some how. The code to handle that SHOULD be handled by the game engine anyway, it's not something I could change.

TL DR; That just must be how they work in the base game now.
I also have a Patreon.

xordroid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xordroid »

bobingabout wrote:

I don't really do that myself, so I can't really say.

however, what I can say is, I CHANGED NOTHING!

The new yellow, red, and blue filter and stack filter inserter entities are literally just scripted clones(okay, it's a code copying function, not a script) of the existing filter and stack filter inserter entities, with their name, speed and graphics changed. so all the things that control how they operate is the same.

and even in the case of green and purple, the inserters are manual copies of the original fast, filter, stack and stack filter entities.

And even if I did change them some how. The code to handle that SHOULD be handled by the game engine anyway, it's not something I could change.

TL DR; That just must be how they work in the base game now.
Thanks for the quick reply. To bad that this seems to be a change in the base game...
Well, seems I just have to hope that it's actually a bug that will get fixed. (I really got way to used to my self balancing multi item warehouse LTN train stations ;-) )

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

xordroid wrote:
jodokus31 wrote:

That's exactly what I mean. If you only have one filter slot and try to set multiple filter via signals, normally the filter is set to the signal with the biggest value.
Sorry, seems I read to quickly. That was and would actually be a cool feature. I always thought it just uses a random positive signal.

EDIT: I also use this self-balancing warehouse, where I take Warehouse1 - Warehouse2 with a arithmetric combinator set to everything * -1 -> everything. Have to check, if it still works, but I think it should, because while balancing, all values will get negative eventually

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mobius1 »

Zombiee wrote:Mobius - I've read your post many times and am still not following what you're saying. I'm assuming you're talking about a modification of my powerbars concept.
take the belt progression for example, it goes yellow, red, blue, light green, purple, that same color scheme works for assemblers, angel's buildings and chemical buildings, so, use it for the many inserter things that were added.
Zombiee wrote:I'm guessing you were thinking to have the inserter's color change by tier (slowest = yellow, fastest = purple) and have a square or row of squares to indicate the type more clearly (purple square for filter, green for stack, etc). Or the opposite: Have the inserter's color be based on type like vanilla and have the power bar to indicate which tier. (Two red bars and a purple inserter color = tier 2 <fast> filter inserter)
uhm... no, I meant what you posted, plus this: http://prntscr.com/irckoj but on inserters, since there are more inserters and mixed types of inserters, you would mix the colours to make them distinct, this time I'll try to use the real names to exemplify better:
Burner Inserter = black colour with the square on the side of the inserter icon painted black. (just like the squares on the icons of the locos and wagons on the link above)
regular electric inserter = yellow colour with the square painted yellow.
regular fast inserter = red colour with 2 squares painted red.
regular stack inserter = blue colour with 3 squares painted blue.
Ultimate inserter = light green colour with 4 squares painted light green.
Ultimate stack inserter = purple colour with 5 squares painted purple.
Filter family:
regular filter inserter = white colour with 1 white square
regular stack filter inserter = white + blue coloured inserter with 2 squares 1 white and 1 blue (showing its a mixed type of inserter)
ultimate stack filter inserter = white + purple coloured inserter with 3 squares 1 white and 2 purple (showing its a mixed type of inserter)

those "squares" I mentioned above are the little squares on the icon that represents the lvl of the entity, like the picture:
http://prntscr.com/ircpnz

Since the idea behind this color scheme was to represent tier progression of the inserters just like what happens with the belts: the purple belt is the most expensive yet fastest belt, so purple inserter would be the most expensive and fastest inserter, but filter inserters are a mixed type of inserter so their color pattern would need to be different than the others hence the difference on them.
I intentionally left out the long-handed inserters for the simple reason that, they are the same as fast inserters, and since we're playing with bob's adjustable inserters, there's no point on having long-handed inserters on the game since every inserter can be long-handed. Unless the player is too masochist to play without adjustable inserters, then on this case don't bother with the colour scheme.

Maglay
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Maglay »

Hello Bob,

the logistic science pack requires the filter inserter from the base game, not any of the filter inserters after your overhaul.

"Only Filter inserter can be inserted here, not Filter Inserter" :)

Greetings
Attachments
20180315094204_1.jpg
20180315094204_1.jpg (823.32 KiB) Viewed 5110 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Maglay wrote:Hello Bob,

the logistic science pack requires the filter inserter from the base game, not any of the filter inserters after your overhaul.

"Only Filter inserter can be inserted here, not Filter Inserter" :)

Greetings
You know when Ralph walks through the second security gate after giving Qbert the cherry? that's me right now.

Right. I should have seen this coming. I need to delete a line of code in my tech mod.

I'll have to do that tonight.
I also have a Patreon.

SuperYin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SuperYin »

Hi Bob,
I recently just started playing this mod on Factorio version 16.27 and been addicted to it for a couple of days.

I'm up to making High tech science packs but I can't make the Lithium-ion Battery because I can't seem to make "Lithium Perchlorate".

I have researched "Lithium Processing" and "Battery 2"

I probably have done something wrong but would really like to be able to progress in your awesome mod.

Mods which I have installed:
Squeak Through 1.2.2
base 0.16.27
bobassembly 0.16.1
bobelectronics 0.16.0
bobenemies 0.16.0
bobgreenhouse 0.16.0
bobinserters 0.16.6
boblibrary 0.16.4
boblogistics 0.16.14
bobmining 0.16.0
bobmodules 0.16.0
bobores 0.16.2
bobplates 0.16.2
bobpower 0.16.3
bobreveamp 0.16.2
bobtech 0.16.2
bobvechicleequipment 0.16.2
bobwarefare 0.16.5

Cheers for making an awesome mod!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SuperYin wrote:Hi Bob,
I recently just started playing this mod on Factorio version 16.27 and been addicted to it for a couple of days.

I'm up to making High tech science packs but I can't make the Lithium-ion Battery because I can't seem to make "Lithium Perchlorate".

I probably have done something wrong but would really like to be able to progress in your awesome mod.
I don't think you've done anything wrong. The recipe is called lithium-water-electrolysis
You use an Electrolyser and need Lithium Chloride (salt) obtained by boiling Lithia water (in a chemical furnace).
use this and pure water in an electrolyser to get Lithium Perchlorate (solid) and Hydrogen.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

bobingabout wrote:
SuperYin wrote:Hi Bob,

I don't think you've done anything wrong. The recipe is called lithium-water-electrolysis
You use an Electrolyser and need Lithium Chloride (salt) obtained by boiling Lithia water (in a chemical furnace).
use this and pure water in an electrolyser to get Lithium Perchlorate (solid) and Hydrogen.
Speaking of which, I think the amount of Lithia Water produced is off. I made a post a few days ago and it may have gotten lost in the mix of all of the Logistics Overhaul. But in my game, a Water Pumpjack Mk2 is producing 3800 Lithia Water per second. If the yield percentage is supposed to be anything like Crude Oil, it may be off by a factor of 10 and should be producing 380 Lithia Water per second. Can you look into this Bob?

Return to “Bob's mods”