[0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

manseaua
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by manseaua »

I don't think anyone has a problem with having new inserters but I think there's a little bit of redundancy of throughput I think I would make it so that you have
tier: color: Name: Research:
0- burner
1-Yellow .........................Logistics 1
2-Burner.................-Stack Research 1.............(if wanted?)
3-Red......-Fast.................Logistics 2
4-Yellow................. -Stack Research 2............(more throughput than fast less throughput then extreme)
5-Blue.....-Extreme.............Logistics 3
6-Red......-Fast.........-Stack Research 3
7-Purple...-Ultimate ...........Logistics 4
8-Blue.....-Extreeem...-Stack Research 4
9-Empty
10-Purple.-Ultimate....-Stack Research 5

also, I had some thought on adjustable inserters if there was a penalty for using the adjustments it would seem a lot less cheaty so say an inserter skipping overtop of a belt or precision putting on a location other than default (outer lane) would have the throughput of 2 tier(1 color down) lower per modification (kind of like the how the vanilla long inserter is slower than the fast) if you wanted to have that as an option in the mod menu to turn off that would work too. you could also instead of making filter and stack versions of all of them make modules to put into the normal inserters making only 4 inserters +burner and 2 modules in total. (perhaps higher tierd inserters need more modules to function) I know it sounds like an overhaul but give some of these some thought.

NeptuneJr2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NeptuneJr2 »

Couple comments: first off, what is the difference between vehicle fusion equipment and vehicle fusion cell? Or does your mods only add one of them and the other is added by some other mod?

I am pretty sure that the basic transport belt cost the same as the base game transport belt? Or did you change that? Why DID you add the basic belt?

Just wondering, why don’t you use some of the graphics from shiny bobs, specifically the ammunition for bobs warfare? I think that the graphics that come with the base mod could be improved. (No offense)

Love your mods and keep up the great work!

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I'm pretty sure the fusion cell is just a smaller less efficient version of the reactor. So, more customization of the grid. That and the large one doesn't fit in mk1 grids at all.

I'm believe Bob talked about the belts in the feedback thread. The derpy slow belt allowed him to increase the cost of belts across the board without blowing up the cost of green science. Also allows a derpy slow belt setup before you can really afford the new pricey yellow.
bobingabout wrote: I guess I could change the standard belt to cost something more pricey like 5 gears and a plate on par with what I want to do for the additional tiers if I make a tier 0 black coloured (to match burner inserter) basic belt (And change the science pack to cost this)
As for the GFX, I'm pretty sure it's to keep nefarious individuals (such as myself) from roaming the streets at night and causing mayhem.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

NeptuneJr2 wrote:Couple comments: first off, what is the difference between vehicle fusion equipment and vehicle fusion cell? Or does your mods only add one of them and the other is added by some other mod?
I am pretty sure that the basic transport belt cost the same as the base game transport belt? Or did you change that? Why DID you add the basic belt?
Basically, what Zombiee said.

though it's not an increase in cost across the board, more of a uniform cost, where the higher tiers cost different and harder to craft resources, rather than just "Throw more of the same at it" that many base game recipes use (like circuits), it makes the lowest tier more expensive, but reduces the cost of the higher tiers. Express belts are still a bit of a nightmare though because you're starting to work with the more complex Aluminium chain, that is a bit of a headache on purpose, as is tungsten, which kind of makes using titanium and nitinol "Meh" in difficulty by comparison.
NeptuneJr2 wrote:Just wondering, why don’t you use some of the graphics from shiny bobs, specifically the ammunition for bobs warfare? I think that the graphics that come with the base mod could be improved. (No offense)

Love your mods and keep up the great work!
Some of the lesser quality graphics, like Ammo, are actually the, of the time, base game graphics. You can see why they were replaced.

I have considered including graphics from some shiney mods, in fact I actually have over the years such as the Circuit boards, it is something I can consider doing again in the future, but for the most part I'm content with people like Zombiee making shiny mods, it lets them get creative making competing graphics packs for bob's mods.

Honestly, it's kind of refreshing to come on and see the only new posts are about cosmetics, rather than complaining about content I've added/changed.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Dos anyone else have only the yellow inserter left in it's normal crafting tab and all the other inserters moved to the next tab?

I always hated how the green/purple belts where in a different tab compared to yellow/red/bluw belts. Now inserters are split too? Please move the yellow inserter too or move everything back.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:Dos anyone else have only the yellow inserter left in it's normal crafting tab and all the other inserters moved to the next tab?

I always hated how the green/purple belts where in a different tab compared to yellow/red/bluw belts. Now inserters are split too? Please move the yellow inserter too or move everything back.
Burner and the yellow filter inserter should be there too.

but yeah, I have thought about that myself, I could reshuffle things. putting all belts and inserters on the bob logistics tab. tab consistancy is something I've been thinking about.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

aklesey1 wrote:Hi bobingabout, big thanks to u for nice update for bob' logistic and tech mods
I like all ur changes but i have big problem - ALUMINUM - for my express belts ;)
Why? Bcuz i need many many sodium hydroxide
To get sodium hydroxide I need to do electrolysis of salt water - and chlorine with hydrogen will come in big amounts as by product

Hi to get sodium hydroxide without venting? :?: :!:

Some way is:
1) Find good consumer for hydrogen chloride - may be it can be electonics, to a lesser extent it could be calcium chloride - main consumer of calcium chloride is is silicon, next is going titanium, but it's still not enough
2) Find good consumer of hydrogen - best way is ammonia which i'll turn in hydrazine, hydrazine will be turned into enriched block, which will displace the coal from the boilers, in the most lesser extent, this can be getting a powdered tungsten
3) Find good consumer of chlorine - best way is to make hydrogen chloride, next is going plastic, to a lesser extent it could be gold only for end game

The biggest problem for me is where to put a lot of chlorine, because where to give a lot of hydrogen I understand-hydrogen just I will transform into enriched fuel
May be i need to find the way where to use plastic
Or spend calcium chloride to silicon, but i'll need reliable source of stone or tugnsten, but with tungsten is not very convenient - only for endgame

Another problem is Silver-Zinc batteries, bcuz if aluminum if will be first consumer of sodium hydroxide, I can make fewer Silver-Zinc batteries than if I didn't spend sodium hydroxide on aluminum
Go for Calcium Chloride to make Titanium. Both Aluminum and Titanium work hand-in-hand better now that the byproducts of making one helps make the other. The balance is much better at the moment. In the past, I would need so much more Titanium than Aluminum that I had many chests stuffed with Aluminum just so I could get the Titanium I needed. Send the byproducts back and forth between the two and you will get the benefit of both.

Bob, once I have both of these going for a while, I will see if the nerf needs to be reversed, but for now it seems to be fairly even. The balance demand of Aluminum and Titanium allows a unique use of the byproducts of one to make the other material. I felt like I had to get both processes going with the other in mind.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I feel awkward posting shameless self promotion here. But your comment mrvn is the exact reason I made this mod so ... I'm sorry?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyIcons - changes no graphics, just move icons around in the crafting menu.
Screenshots

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

those are nice Icons.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Zombiee wrote:I feel awkward posting shameless self promotion here. But your comment mrvn is the exact reason I made this mod so ... I'm sorry?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyIcons - changes no graphics, just move icons around in the crafting menu.
Screenshots
Now that each belt color has it's own set of inserters wouldn't it make sense to rotate the whole thing 90°?

First row black, second row yellow, third row red, fourth row blue, ... First column belt, second column underground, third column splitter, 4th column inserter, 5th column filter inserter, ... With the addition of black belts the burner inserters have somewhere to go in that scheme.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Does migration from logistics 0.16.7 work now for an existing game?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

DaveSh99
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DaveSh99 »

bobingabout wrote:
DaveSh99 wrote:Since Logistics 0.16.10: and Inserters 0.16.6 when i paste a blueprint with blue inserters (this is an exting game from before all of the inserter changes bagan) i get the following error:

[img]
Capture.JPG
[/img]
oh, I see. I think I see the problem. there's no check if the entity exists before replacing it, it just assumes it does. which it doesn't if you've not turned on the options to use the new inserter overhaul.

EDIT:
Fixed it. please update.

Hopefully there's no major errors like this, I'm going to bed now.

This is now fixed thanks.

Question, i assume you can't turn the option on unless you're starting a new game? And does Bob's adjustable inserters basically override much of the tech changes in logistics? Can your adjustable inserters merely be to tweak the non straight aligned and belt side offset, allowing your logistics to be the primary control of what inserters do what?

dave.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

steinio wrote:Does migration from logistics 0.16.7 work now for an existing game?
I did test things with a previous 0.16.7 save, and a 0.16.9 save (Which I saved over with my 0.16.10 game when it was done), and everything seemed to function correctly on both.

However, there was this one time I loaded a 0.16.9 save and some icons were missing, but apeared on a second load attempt without any changes, I can't explain it.
mrvn wrote:First row black, second row yellow, third row red, fourth row blue, ... First column belt, second column underground, third column splitter, 4th column inserter, 5th column filter inserter, ... With the addition of black belts the burner inserters have somewhere to go in that scheme.
Part of the issue with doing this is that some items don't have all tiers. Burner and Basic only have the one inserter and belt, yellow doesn't have any stack inserters.

However, this is somewhat how the inserters model is in my mod by default. Burner and Standard inserters are in the old tab, Tier 2 and 3 are on one line in the bob logistics tab, and tier 4 and 5 on another line.
Re-organising it so that it goes belt, UGBelt, Splitter, Inserter, Filter, Stack, Stack filter might be a bit fiddley, but easy enough to do.
DaveSh99 wrote:Question, i assume you can't turn the option on unless you're starting a new game?
And does Bob's adjustable inserters basically override much of the tech changes in logistics?
Can your adjustable inserters merely be to tweak the non straight aligned and belt side offset, allowing your logistics to be the primary control of what inserters do what?
The option is freely available with no limits. The default at the moment is turned off, so you don't get the new things, but you can turn it on at any time. It's entirely up to you.

In Logistics, there is a single inserter change function. The button at the top of the screen turns on reach over-ride, to for long hand or normal reach on any inserter. and you also have SHIFT+L to toggle it on any placed inserter.
Both of these functions are turned off when you use bob inserters.

All bob's adjustable inserters actually does is add the GUI at the top (Which allows you to change reach of any placed inserter, or full position if you choose the second option), hotkeys for pickup, drop and offset ranges, long toggle, and rotate, and the GUI menu to edit any existing inserters. it does add a few things to research, but that's it.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
mrvn wrote:First row black, second row yellow, third row red, fourth row blue, ... First column belt, second column underground, third column splitter, 4th column inserter, 5th column filter inserter, ... With the addition of black belts the burner inserters have somewhere to go in that scheme.
Part of the issue with doing this is that some items don't have all tiers. Burner and Basic only have the one inserter and belt, yellow doesn't have any stack inserters.

However, this is somewhat how the inserters model is in my mod by default. Burner and Standard inserters are in the old tab, Tier 2 and 3 are on one line in the bob logistics tab, and tier 4 and 5 on another line.
Re-organising it so that it goes belt, UGBelt, Splitter, Inserter, Filter, Stack, Stack filter might be a bit fiddley, but easy enough to do.
Burner inserter and basic belt are a bit of an odd thing but that would be OK. You have the belt and next to it the inserter and that would be it for the row. All others would fit nicely into the grid with the yellow row being shorter. As you say no stack inserters. But the items it has would still align with the items for other tiers.

If you put two tires per row then the burner inserter / basic belt could take the place of the stack and stack filter inserter for yellow. That would mean everything else would be nicely aligned in a grid. Having the burner/basic items between yellow and red is a bit odd but it would keep the list compact.

If you re-organise then please don't forget to leave a hole for the loader.

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

Can anybody please explain to me, why the heat shield tiles are not allowed to be used with productivity modules? The other 3 rocket parts are allowed, but this one not, which really bugs me :? I locally added the corresponding line

Code: Select all

bobmods.lib.module.add_productivity_limitation("heat-shield-tile")
into the rocket-part-updates file. I remember with 0.15 i also had this issue.

Btw. bobs warfare is broken with 0.16.29. Some thing with tank-robot has no flag pushable

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Fixed

Warfare 0.16.5:
Bugfix, removed pushable flags from tanks
I also have a Patreon.

HerpicusMcDerpington
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HerpicusMcDerpington »

I quite dont understand the need to increase the cost of a ****ing basic yellow belt by more than 6 times!
Using the grey one for green science, well, thats a nice idea.
But 10 iron for something as basic as a 13.33i/sec belt?
And thats ONE, when it used to be two.
It still has the 0.5s crafting speed tho, so if you´d want it even close to that, you´d need a full belt of gears coming in.
Rightclicking on yellow undergrounds? Make just 5? Well, better wait for 100 gears to be handcrafted. AT THE START!? :evil:

I like the idea of even red belts needing abit more than just iron, but i have just started playing heavily modded, got kinda used to it, but screwed my first map so bad i restarted.
Only 2 hours in i noticed the drastic decrease in belts i got in my starter assembler setup and looked it up. What an unpleasant surprise.

The worst thing is, it comes with a whole lot of useful basic stuff like stone pipes (which when i removed logistics mod screwed my power setup cos it removed the pipes)
Also, i think it was some Angels mod you´d have to remove too, because it can´t find steel pipes.
Basicly you have to live with it, or get into modding to alter the reciepe.

I realy like what you have done with the game through adding such an awesome collection of mods, but i strongly disagree with the yellow belt change, it drasticly ramps up the cost from the start and makes me want to play something else, not just the mod but the game itself..... :cry:
Im am not your rolling wheel, I am the highway!

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

HerpicusMcDerpington wrote:makes me want to play something else, not just the mod but the game itself..... :cry:
Pretty overdramatic over such a tiny change don't you think?

The mod AAI increased the cost of belts through the inclusion of motors, which uses no more iron than what this addition does, yet that's not garnering a massive amount of crying as seen here. It's just a small increase in materials easily offset by a slightly bigger mining setup than you're used to, which is hardly worth crying over.

There are much more headache inducing and resource intensive things to complain about and this is far from one of them.

HerpicusMcDerpington
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HerpicusMcDerpington »

Light wrote:...tiny change ....

The mod AAI ....
Increasing a starting reciepe basicly everyone needs and uses, even people who need 100 hours for a rocket in vanilla, by a factor of 6.66 is not tiny.
To progress even close to what you are used to, you´d need a whole patch of Saphirite (assuming you add Angels) and a whole lot more assemblers, just for belt production in your starterbase
Thats not a "tiny change"

If i´d play AAI i´d try and see what it does from the start, and decide if its for me or not.
If i had experienced Bobs yellow belts from the start, i´d have decided that this is not for me.
The last part, the one you quoted, might be a bit overreacting, but its still redicoulus, not tiny.
And im not the only one saying that, basicly everone i know on our Discord feels that way
Im am not your rolling wheel, I am the highway!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

HerpicusMcDerpington wrote:just for belt production in your starterbase
for a starter base, you're supposed to try using the new basic grey belts.

If it's really that much of an issue, I'll consider changing it later. maybe balancing it better, such as adjusting the speeds a bit, make a grey underground belt and splitter perhaps.

an outright complaint about the cost isn't that useful, reduce the cost? Yeah... maybe...

other suggestions though like balancing speeds, and other suggestions might go over better, and I might add them.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”