[0.18.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.18.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Post by Coppermine »

There are several mods already which attempt to rebalance various parts of Bob's mods. Most particularly Bob's modules. This is another attempt in that vein.

Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing on the mod portal

One problem I have had with other rebalancing mods is that they tend to have a bunch of changes together and are an all-or-nothing proposition. For this one I have separated my changes out into a number of independent options, all togglable through the mod options interface. If you disable everything, then the mod will simply do nothing! Therefore you can pick and choose the changes you prefer.

The overall philosophy of the changes is to give a reason to use more variety of the modules and related features. I find that in default Bob's settings I pretty much only use the level 8 raw modules and Mk3 beacons. The lesser items are simply not worth using. This mod adds additional cost and complexity to crafting the higher level and combined modules such that you are encouraged to use the more easily available versions and use this to bootstrap your way towards the more powerful items.

I've tested these changes through two full playthroughs with Bob's, Angel's, SpaceX, and various other minor mods. I tweaked a few things along the way but I'm largely satisfied that these changes are a good fit for my personal preferences.

The specific options available are as follows:
Exponentially expensive modules
Nerfed modules
Expensive combined modules
Nerfed beacons
Expensive beacons
Require modules for rocket control units
Require space science packs to craft god modules
Research cost multiplier for god modules
Require god modules for some Space X components
One thing I have not changed is the maximum possible achievable productivity. That remains 240% (6 level 8 prod modules in a top level machine). That is because I personally do not want to build a megabase (because I do not want to worry about managing UPS) and so I like to have the option to use this level of productivity in certain places. However, in my latest game by the time I had completed the SpaceX endgame I had still not used level 8 modules with very many recipes. They are expensive enough that I picked my targets carefully and applied them only in the most important places, whereas I applied lower level modules more widely.

That said, if there was demand it would be relatively easy for me to add further options to this mod to change more things. Let me know in the thread below.
Last edited by Coppermine on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Post by Coppermine »

Updated to Factorio 0.16.

scrangos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Post by scrangos »

Thanks, I was looking for something just like this!

neoc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Post by neoc »

Not yet at modules again in my new game, but indeed defaults of Bob's Modules are ridiculous. You even save power with speed modules if I remember correctly (one moduled assembler consumes less per production unit than the corresponding amount of unmoduled assemblers). I have no idea how anyone would think this is balanced in any way... and I never saw God Modules before the nerfs...

In the end productivity modules were all I used in a previous game because they had no speed penalty iirc.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Post by Coppermine »

Updated to Factorio 0.17.

Also fixed an issue that's existed since Bob removed electrum plates from his mods.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Coppermine wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:13 pm
Also fixed an issue that's existed since Bob removed electrum plates from his mods.
I removed electrum a long time ago because IRL it's more of an ore broken down to create silver and gold separately, and I personally only used it in a single recipe.

I did try and let people know I was going to do it about 2 months before I actually did it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

bobingabout wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm
I did try and let people know I was going to do it about 2 months before I actually did it.
No worries. I haven't really played Factorio for nearly a year, so it's not surprising I didn't notice. Some folks reported it on the mod portal for this mod, but of course that doesn't really help because of the lack of notifications.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18.x] Coppermine's Bob's module rebalancing

Post by Coppermine »

This has been updated to Factorio 0.18 (back in January).

I've also just released a minor update to improve compatibility with the CircuitProcessing and module-requestor mods.

Return to “Bob's mods”