Feedback

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feedback

Post by mrvn »

RocketManChronicles wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 pm
mrvn wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am
bobingabout wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 pm
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm
I hate to see it, but the talk in the new science changes still continues over the inclusion of rails in the production science recipe. It got me thinking....

Bob, have you considered adding wood to the recipe for rails? I understand the vanilla recipe: steel for the rails themselves, iron bars for spikes, and stone ore to act as gravel. But I do not see anything about the ties. I'm not asking to add another item that is only to be an intermediate product for only this recipe, such as wood beams (different from wood planks), but just having wood logs go into the recipe? Or is it too much considering how many rails are used in any large to mega factory?
Wood planks are gone anyway, we just have wood now. But, it is something worth considering.
Bioindustries comes with wooden rails. They are a slower version of the normal rails and use wood for beams. That also gives you the normal rails using concrete for beams.
Interesting. Does that mod add anything else with Bob's? Like does it make anything in the production chain more interesting other than rails?
It has it's own tree production using wood -> seeds -> saplings -> wood. One nice thing is that you can plant saplings by hand / bot to grow trees. Later there is also a building that will plant trees around it over time. Growing forests around your mines and factories is a great way to soak up pollution and reduce alien attacks.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:15 pm
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 pm
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 pm
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm
I hate to see it, but the talk in the new science changes still continues over the inclusion of rails in the production science recipe. It got me thinking....

Bob, have you considered adding wood to the recipe for rails? I understand the vanilla recipe: steel for the rails themselves, iron bars for spikes, and stone ore to act as gravel. But I do not see anything about the ties. I'm not asking to add another item that is only to be an intermediate product for only this recipe, such as wood beams (different from wood planks), but just having wood logs go into the recipe? Or is it too much considering how many rails are used in any large to mega factory?
Wood planks are gone anyway, we just have wood now. But, it is something worth considering.
Bioindustries comes with wooden rails. They are a slower version of the normal rails and use wood for beams. That also gives you the normal rails using concrete for beams.
Interesting. Does that mod add anything else with Bob's? Like does it make anything in the production chain more interesting other than rails?
It has it's own tree production using wood -> seeds -> saplings -> wood. One nice thing is that you can plant saplings by hand / bot to grow trees. Later there is also a building that will plant trees around it over time. Growing forests around your mines and factories is a great way to soak up pollution and reduce alien attacks.
Hmmmm.... that combined with Will O' the Wisps mod, you now can help create areas for wisps to spawn... I might consider it. I also wonder if it helps with the wood demand that some of Bob's items require (basic circuit boards).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

One nice thing is that you can plant saplings by hand / bot to grow trees.
I've seen growing trees before, I'm fairly sure that's how tree farm worked. And although I like the concept, there was something wrong with the implementation (or maybe even just engine limitations) that caused lag. The game could only really handle a hand full of tree farms, otherwise there was too much slowdown.

If there was a tree growing feature built into the base game, the impact would be a lot less, it was just because it was controlled entirely via script.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, Natural Tree Expansion Reloaded has a setting for a hard limit on the number of trees that can grow, so that there seems to be an engine limitation too...
(Also trees are very graphically heavy right now, see recent FFF's.)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 am
One nice thing is that you can plant saplings by hand / bot to grow trees.
I've seen growing trees before, I'm fairly sure that's how tree farm worked. And although I like the concept, there was something wrong with the implementation (or maybe even just engine limitations) that caused lag. The game could only really handle a hand full of tree farms, otherwise there was too much slowdown.

If there was a tree growing feature built into the base game, the impact would be a lot less, it was just because it was controlled entirely via script.
I can plant 1000 seedlings without the game comming to halt. Maybe the game slows down some because the LUA script has to change the tree images every few ticks as they grow. But after a short while the tree have grown and then nothing further happens. So it's pretty temporary.

The automatic tree grower is a radar underneath and every time a sweep finishes it plants a tree (radars send an event after each sweep which makes them ideal for this). Then the tree will grow. So I guess the tree farm will add constant load to the game. But something of the order of planing 1-2 tree by hand. Haven't benchmarked that though. I've always planted trees by hand/bot because it's so much faster.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Hmmmm.... that combined with Will O' the Wisps mod, you now can help create areas for wisps to spawn... I might consider it. I also wonder if it helps with the wood demand that some of Bob's items require (basic circuit boards).
Wood production through arboretums is a magnitude faster I believe. But it needs more science to build. wood -> seeds -> saplings is first tier science stuff. The saplings -> wood needs glass, which is lot harder. So in the begining you can make saplings and plant them. Then chop them down by hand for wood. Works well if you are stuck without wood but have fertile ground (trees don't grow well in the desert so it might be a net negative there).

Lappro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lappro »

Usually I enjoy the bob's mods collection. However today I was frustrated after updating the mods in my game, especially the bobsplates mod from 0.17.2 to 0.17.3.

In this version bump apparently the steel recipe was changed. Now was this change configurable, the setting was a "startup only" setting that was on by default. So my already quite far progressed save suddenly used the new steel recipe, AKA breaking my steel setup. But since this setting was "startup only" I could not turn it off in my existing save game.

Fortunately downgrading solved the issue, but it would be nice (in the future) to have a transition for such new features for existing saves. Like only turn it on if it is either a new map or on an existing map with that feature already enabled. And for existing saves use the value from before that feature existed, to avoid breaking backwards compatibility. If the mod API allows it.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Lappro wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm
Usually I enjoy the bob's mods collection. However today I was frustrated after updating the mods in my game, especially the bobsplates mod from 0.17.2 to 0.17.3.

In this version bump apparently the steel recipe was changed. Now was this change configurable, the setting was a "startup only" setting that was on by default. So my already quite far progressed save suddenly used the new steel recipe, AKA breaking my steel setup. But since this setting was "startup only" I could not turn it off in my existing save game.

Fortunately downgrading solved the issue, but it would be nice (in the future) to have a transition for such new features for existing saves. Like only turn it on if it is either a new map or on an existing map with that feature already enabled. And for existing saves use the value from before that feature existed, to avoid breaking backwards compatibility. If the mod API allows it.
Startup only means, you can only change the setting as long as no save is loaded.

Go back to main menu, change the setting and restart.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lappro wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm

As stated, startup only means you have to do it from the main menu, and the game restarts afterwards.
However, I must apologise about the inconvenience, I usually make such settings off by default as a minor version change, and on by default between major versions. in this case, I made changes over a span of a month, took a week off, then when a bugfix needed pushing, I cleaned up my work in progress and released (almost) everything, forgetting to go through and check to make sure the settings were all set up correctly. I missed that the new steel was set to default enabled when it should have been disabled.

However, since it is now enabled by default and released, and I have nothing else to update it with just yet (I'm not going to do an update just to change the default state of a setting) it will probably stay that way as most people will be used to it by the time I would disable it.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:25 pm
However, since it is now enabled by default and released, and I have nothing else to update it with just yet (I'm not going to do an update just to change the default state of a setting) it will probably stay that way as most people will be used to it by the time I would disable it.
It wasn't that bad of a change really. I spent about an hour reconfiguring my steel production to accommodate the addition of oxygen. Used to it now already, lol.

One thing I did notice, was that when a production system backs up, the furnaces usually run until their output slot is full (full stack amount). This new recipe for steel seems to have affected that mechanic in that they only produce to four in the stack and stop. Quite interesting.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:25 pm
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:25 pm
It wasn't that bad of a change really. I spent about an hour reconfiguring my steel production to accommodate the addition of oxygen. Used to it now already, lol.

One thing I did notice, was that when a production system backs up, the furnaces usually run until their output slot is full (full stack amount). This new recipe for steel seems to have affected that mechanic in that they only produce to four in the stack and stop. Quite interesting.
Furnaces run until the output is full, assembler stop inputing items when the have produced 2 cycles I think.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

The Artillery Turrets are mixed in HP. The vanilla Artillery turret has 2000 HP, the mk2 has 1500 HP, and the mk3 has 2000 HP.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 pm
The Artillery Turrets are mixed in HP. The vanilla Artillery turret has 2000 HP, the mk2 has 1500 HP, and the mk3 has 2000 HP.
the base game turret probably had the HP doubled without me realising.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 am
It is a minor thing. Just wanted to make sure it was pointed out to you. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:57 am
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 am
It is a minor thing. Just wanted to make sure it was pointed out to you. :)
I'll look into it at some point soon.

I added it to my to do list viewtopic.php?f=51&t=65190#p400567
I also have a Patreon.

Kryzeth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kryzeth »

Not sure if I should ask about this here, or one the balance issues page, but is there any particular reason the electric multi purpose furnace uses only the electric chemical furnace as an ingredient? If it's a hybrid of the chemical and metal mixing furnaces, then why wouldn't it require both? Or neither? Just wondering.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kryzeth wrote: ↑
Sun May 19, 2019 10:14 pm
Not sure if I should ask about this here, or one the balance issues page, but is there any particular reason the electric multi purpose furnace uses only the electric chemical furnace as an ingredient? If it's a hybrid of the chemical and metal mixing furnaces, then why wouldn't it require both? Or neither? Just wondering.
I don't exactly remember why, but from a technical perspective, there's really no reason why the chemical furnace can't also mix metals.
The metal mixing furnace is basically just a copy of the normal furnace, except it's an assembling machine to allow it to take multiple ingredients. The chemical furnace is basically just a copy of the metal mixing furnace, with a pipe to allow it to also accept fluids (gasses and liquids)
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Speaking of the furnaces (ha ha), is there any reason to have the multi-purpose furnace mk2 hold six modules while the electric furnace mk3 holds five? I mean, I understand the flexibility of the electric furnace mk3, as its recipe can be changed on the fly with what is inserted into it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am
Speaking of the furnaces (ha ha), is there any reason to have the multi-purpose furnace mk2 hold six modules while the electric furnace mk3 holds five? I mean, I understand the flexibility of the electric furnace mk3, as its recipe can be changed on the fly with what is inserted into it.
I don't remember any specific reason.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am
Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am
I don't remember any specific reason.
I only question it due to every other "production" building at the final tier has six module slots except this one. Just figured it may be an oversight or if there was a specific reason.

Return to β€œBob's mods”