Feedback

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

SquidCap
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Feedback

Post by SquidCap »

Download page: None of them have ANY description of the contents. It is not a description if "warfare mod" says "various things about warfare". I rather not download at all if that is all the info. Note, no one in this page will think this is a problem as they already know what these mods do... I went the other way, trying to find what they are but.. Not even here you have a FAQ.. Nothing tells new users what they are, what they do. Not even installation instructions are anywhere, at least not where one first looks.

First impressions about the whole mod/download/forum experience: fanboys have been ruling this, first time user help is non existent, there are hoops you have to jump thru, request passwork changes, do two accounts and last piece was that most popular downloads have NO explanation about anything since you guys all know all of this already.. It doesn't register as a problem but... it kind of is.. Not a big one, i'll find the info, it'll take me 5-15 minutes longer and i need to search for things that i don't know the name for yet..

So, why not add SOMETHING for the new users to make this less painful. I won't have any long lasting problems, i'm a ex modder myself that turned to game development. The first time user is the key audience, it does not matter if 50th time user has too much info. But for 1st timer, it can mean "f this". I need to know how can i uninstall, dos this affect save games, online and so on. I need some safety, some info that i can assess if it is worth the trouble/risk. I've done this myself, my mods have been downloaded all over the globe (i'm not anyone important, it reaaaally doesn't necessarily take skills) and you just have to design the overall package for people with two left hands, at least give them a feeling of security and control.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Just as a test, I switched the overhaul on for everything and now my existing tier 2 inserters (fast) are replaced by tier 3 inserters (express).

Bob should pin a couple of tables with all the stats for the new stuff and the rebalance.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zyrconia wrote:Just as a test, I switched the overhaul on for everything and now my existing tier 2 inserters (fast) are replaced by tier 3 inserters (express).

Bob should pin a couple of tables with all the stats for the new stuff and the rebalance.
But turning the overhaul on, nothing actually changed, your fast inserter items in your inventory are still fast inserter items in your inventory, and the fast inserter entities that you placed are still fast inserter entities.
what changed is that when you use a fast inserter item to place an inserter, it now places an entity called blue inserter, which is locale named express inserter. This is very similar to the fast inserter entity.
Since the item name is taken from the entity it places, this is renamed as well.
Mining the fast inserter entity will return the same fast inserter item, which now places blue/express inserter.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

wormzjl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wormzjl »

Ok there might be a bug with the tiered boiler, with MK1 boiler I get about 90 steam for each coal, but increasing tier causes their steam per coal ratio dropping, with 75 steam per coal for MK4 boiler.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

That's something I'd expect. You get less steam per coal, but the steam is hotter, so there's more energy in it.

A MK1 boiler produces 165°C steam. With your numbers, this gives 13.5k units of energy per coal. (Here, units are 'degrees of heating'x'units of steam', not kJ or anything else interestingly measurable in-game.) A MK4 boiler produces 375°C steam, which, at 75 steam per coal, gives 27k energy per coal. If you're seeing less energy in your electric network per unit coal, I'd make sure you're pairing your MK4 boilers with MK4 steam engines.

wormzjl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wormzjl »

Oh I see, didn't notice the temperature through

Maslofski
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maslofski »

i like this mod, but sometimes i just want to keep the cool shit, like higher tier buildings and get rid of the ore side of things.

without using ores and intermediates its very much playable, but the only way to obtain sulfur is to use oil processing with sulfur, which only gives 2 sulfur, so its quite hard to get the blue processing unit production going without covering half the map in fluid containers with unwanted liquids. if we could have the base game way to obtain sulfur additionally, that'd be great

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Maslofski wrote:i like this mod, but sometimes i just want to keep the cool shit, like higher tier buildings and get rid of the ore side of things.

without using ores and intermediates its very much playable, but the only way to obtain sulfur is to use oil processing with sulfur, which only gives 2 sulfur, so its quite hard to get the blue processing unit production going without covering half the map in fluid containers with unwanted liquids. if we could have the base game way to obtain sulfur additionally, that'd be great
You can turn on sulfur ore fields too.

As for the sulfur overhaul, that's part of bobrevamp, if you disable this mod, you have the old sulfur processing again, but there are a few things you miss out on, like the rocket silo/fuel overhaul, including hydrazine, and probably a few more things I forgot that I put in there.

I guess I could add in a few options in there to allow you to turn off certain overhauls, like removing the old sulfur recipe... but you are suposed to use the new sulphur dioxide -> sulfur recipe, you can obtain sulfur dioxide from several methods.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Bob's Mods 0.16 Lookback from my playthrough

I just decided to call my playthrough in 0.16 complete. The core being Bob's mods supplemented with several others. Notable mods are AAI Vehicles, Alien Biomes, Space Extended, Rampant AI, RSO, and Dectorio (no Angel's). It was a great and fun-filled 600 hours; started in February this year. I want to provide feedback in a constructive manner and I hope I can inspire this great mod set.

I needed a challenge to make the game demand more resources from me, since the end game can get dull. So, I setup a custom Deathworld that is more insane than even Factorio sets up. I had the AI set to have minimum size 20 and maximum size 50 attacks and they expand every 2-4 minutes. My starting area was Small. Rampant AI was set to send waves of up to 300 at me. Resources were set up in a Railworld way, with few patches spread out, but really full. To even make it harder, I made the world entirely Black Volcanic terrain from Alien Biomes, and NO trees. The trees were exceptionally hard to get right, as I start with only a few logs in my crashed ship. The random recipe for seedlings sometimes did not allow me to get two seedlings made to get the Bob's greenhouses to start producing wood. This required 5 restarts just to get the luck of the draw [Here is where I suggest that the recipe is not random for seedlings]. From there, the green houses made ALL of the wood needed for the entire game.

Anyway, a terrain with no trees means my pollution spreads without remorse and gathers the attention of many, many nests. Having the AAI mod set meant the starting tier lasted a lot longer and produced lots of pollution (burner class buildings). Needless to say, I was in for a fight starting 15 minutes into the game. I had to get some protection up immediately, and get things automated fast. The first real struggle was balancing ammo production and science production. I had burner drills feeding belts to feed the stone furnaces. I was really restricted in area, having clusters of turrets defending me while I pushed to piercing rounds and soon mk2 turrets. I had to go military science and get my defense capabilities up to hold on, as an occasional wave of 100 biters tore through from Rampant AI. [I will say that this very early game t0 - t1 was the most fun of the entire playthrough. There was a time in which all I did was run from turret cluster to turret cluster repairing them to stay alive, and they were automatically being fed ammo. The balance here was phenominal! I did not get to tier 2 until about 12 hours in.]

The main thing I noticed as I started to expand and was easily able to hold my ground at t2, was that Bob's mods were relatively straightforward from here. Once I had the basic circuit boards and basic electronic boards going, every just started to come easier. And this was especially true once I unlocked bots to auto repair my walls and turrets. The mid-game is not bad, and I welcomed the inserter and belt overhaul during this time and the changeover went fairly smooth. Having a constant flow of attacks on my base perimeter kept a lot of resources flowing as my base was not solely dependent on me to keep building more. Rails for the win, by the way. Having some serious armed (not armored yet) trains reaching out of the main walls to outposts was key in keeping the trains alive as they traversed hostile ground.

The end-game has only one really exciting period, as the rest was totally bland in a way. The moment my evolution factor hit 1.0, I was in trouble. Thinking I had everything under control and moving along, I suddenly found my mk3 gun turrets, mk2 sniper turrets, mk 2 laser turrets, and flame turrets were not enough against the greatest beasts of Bob's Enemies. The hitpoint increase on them made them nearly invulnerable to my mid-game defense walls. They tore into my base and nearly wiped 60% of everything I had built. It was amazing to fight through that and push back with both getting mk5 laser turrets and researching infinite damage increases to overcome the waves. In combination with Rampant AI, I had a wave of over 500 biters tear a hole and then to see the titans walk in! Once I regained my hold and rebuilt the most critical parts of my base, the game hit easy-mode. From here, nothing could stop me. And this is where the problem is. My defense perimeter was TOO strong. Nothing gets destroyed, and my resource sink only really became repair packs, besides science to keep the infinite researches going. All I did need to do was multiply the production of science packs to increase the production. And after launching over 4000 vanilla rockets, I had efficiencies moving well. It was not hard to expand outwards, and the AI biters were more of a nuisance than exciting to fight to build outposts. I found it redundant to clear them out for my building, rinse and repeat. Also, I think another of my mods depended on a mod that spitters hit walls.... I need to get rid of that. Spitters should hit turrets, and they should be destroyed from the final tier of spitters (2 shots should be a decent balance). I never died once in this game either.

As for modules, I had access to all of them. I research God modules because I wanted to see what they were; never used them though as I thought they are too strong. I had the Raw Speed and Raw Productivity modules in everything, and they made it really easy. Having no negative effects makes them really overpowered in my opinion. I like them being in the game, but I will not be using them in the future; I plan to stick with the ones with energy penalties. Oh, that leads into my last point.

Power is interesting. I say that as I did have to convert during the power overhaul, but at that time I was well into the nuclear power stage and was overproducing power, nearly 10-fold. Once I was at the end-game, and not suffering energy increases from the modules, having converted all of my 50,000 logistics bots to fusion power, my power usage was much smaller than I was expecting at this stage. In fact, my laser turrets were 90% of my power usage, and that was only the drain. I had three 16-core nuclear plants, and was only really using power from one, and that was only being 50% used.

In the end, nice mod set Bob! This is a lot of fun, and it is my fourth playthrough using your mods as the core of my playthroughs. I still think the end-game is lacking. I understand that infinite science allows us to become super overpowered, but there still should be a fight to defend. Even if my turrets can one-shot kill the final tier of biters after enough research, I should still be damaged by their spit attacks. I recommend looking at the enemies mod after 0.17 releases. I know the devs have mentioned at modifying them. Also, I know Bob does not want to create anything new, but I do think there should be flying bugs in which we need to build AA turrets (gun turrets can kinda do this, but AA can be flak with area of effect, and also have SAM turrets that incorporate Bob's weapons rockets). Ideas! Again, with modules, I will not be using the Raw or God modules in the future; there needs to be a penalty for using these. Fusion powered bots are amazing(!) and when I was first getting them, I kept the first ones on me; was so great to lay blueprints down and watch 300 of them work without having to recharge over my head. But once I started having the main base converted, the power demand dropped like a rock. I love the mod set and am happy to recommend it to anyone. Just keep an eye on the end-game and look for resource sinks. Replacing turrets, walls, rails, etc is great beyond repair packs and science. I will be playing another massive playthrough from the very start at 0.17, gonna take a Factorio break for now.

Thanks Bob.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

you mentioned launching vanilla rockets, is there any reason you didn't use use the overhaul to make them harder to make?
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

bobingabout wrote:you mentioned launching vanilla rockets, is there any reason you didn't use use the overhaul to make them harder to make?
I did use your overhaul. I just meant vanilla satellites as compared to the Space Ex spacecraft components.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
bobingabout wrote:you mentioned launching vanilla rockets, is there any reason you didn't use use the overhaul to make them harder to make?
I did use your overhaul. I just meant vanilla satellites as compared to the Space Ex spacecraft components.
ah, fair enough.
I also have a Patreon.

bardan_jusik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bardan_jusik »

Hello,

Using the full set of bob's mods, inserters frequently stop operating when the destination (a belt) is vacant. Attached is a screencap of a row of full electronics assembly machines (full status is indicated by a yellow circle from Bottleneck mod), and a row of inserters that are not moving items from the assembly machines. Any tips to resolve this? It seems to happen completely arbitrarily, but frequently, and I don't notice until a resource goes missing. https://imgur.com/a/u3CO8wy

coderpatsy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by coderpatsy »

A few people have come across that issue, but the devs have not been able to reproduce it. See for example viewtopic.php?t=61705 viewtopic.php?t=59807 viewtopic.php?t=58984

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bardan_jusik wrote:Hello,

Using the full set of bob's mods, inserters frequently stop operating when the destination (a belt) is vacant. Attached is a screencap of a row of full electronics assembly machines (full status is indicated by a yellow circle from Bottleneck mod), and a row of inserters that are not moving items from the assembly machines. Any tips to resolve this? It seems to happen completely arbitrarily, but frequently, and I don't notice until a resource goes missing. https://imgur.com/a/u3CO8wy
From what I understand, they're supposed to have fixed that, however, if you load a save game from before the fix, they might be broken by the update, and require being replaced, but then shouldn't break again.
Other than that, I don't know what to say... There's nothing I can really do about it, since my mod basically just adds more of the same existing base game prototypes, just with different values set.
I also have a Patreon.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

Any reason why your offset is middle, by default it should be on far edge of belt, or if you want near side then do that, i dont think theres ever reason to use the middle offset.
Have you tried if the bug appears when changing that ?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Termak wrote:

Any reason why your offset is middle, by default it should be on far edge of belt, or if you want near side then do that, i dont think theres ever reason to use the middle offset.
Have you tried if the bug appears when changing that ?
I can't actually see the picture here.

Yeah... don't use the middle offset when you place on a belt. It's really only there for completeness. and although in theory it shouldn't matter if you use it or not (EG, use a base game inserter to place an item on a belt moving away from the inserter, rather than from the side, and you place it in the middle of a belt, therefore, the game should account for that placement), the intention is that you should only use the middle offset where offsets don't matter, such as chests, or other factories.
I also have a Patreon.

Warrie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Warrie »

In my travels for a more efficient base i came across a bug or some weirdness;
The below test has all inserters with the exact same orientation. The only difference is the direction they are facing. Power was on for ~10 secs, the numbers represent the belts collected in the receiving chest. Orange are the anomalous results. Vanilla inserters facing north had some similar weirdness until it was fixed in 0.15.14.

Twinsen mentions in this topic viewtopic.php?p=280385#p280385 modded inserters still might have the problem after 0.15.14. Which looks exactly like what i see here.
Any chance this bug could be fixed? It was driving me nuts why a setup hampered until i routed the problem.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I don't know if it is something I can fix, because my inserters are just a copy of the base game inserters.

if the code in data has changed, then there's a chance some of my inserters (All of them if you're not using the overhaul, which it looks like you're not) may be effected, and I MIGHT be able to fix.

I'll have to take a look at some point.
I also have a Patreon.

Warrie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Warrie »

bobingabout wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:05 pm
I don't know if it is something I can fix, because my inserters are just a copy of the base game inserters.

if the code in data has changed, then there's a chance some of my inserters (All of them if you're not using the overhaul, which it looks like you're not) may be effected, and I MIGHT be able to fix.

I'll have to take a look at some point.
Thanks for your fast reply.
That must be it then, your inserters use pre 0.15.14 base code, which was bugged. Im using all your mods except for the clock and character classes. 15+ the library. Game was full bobangel.

I just noticed you helped to identify the problem in the base game in that topic 3 years ago. Ironically only your mod still has the issue now. It took the devs 2 years to fix it, we can wait.

Return to “Bob's mods”