[MOD 0.15.x] T2k3's Bob's Overhaul

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.15.x] T2k3's Bob's Overhaul

Post by T2k3 »

Overhaul rings big, so what is this?
Well, maybe it sounds a bit too big and don't fit well, but for now i'll stick to the name. (i'm open for suggestions here)

First of all: this is a "forum-only-preview" for now. I would like to make it more stable and balanced (and i should probably talk to all involved mod authors?) before i let it loose upon the world. And, naturally, i would like to know if anybody is interested at all.

Now lets dive in what this mod is about!

In a broad view:
I ripped out many overpowered equipment and tuned down the overkill-factor of bobs. Then i took some other mod's and glued them together with bob's and added some new ores/buildings/recipes(lots)/things. And on Top of this i tried to cramp as many realism in as i could find and afford.

I tried to be as realistic as possible while delivering a good balance and gameplay. Since the start is a bit grindy i would like to know how other bob-vertrans feel about it. And while we're at it: especially the endgame should be a mixture of "having all the things" and "how to scale up".
In detail
I see forward for all of your suggestions, bugreports and feedback!
Random Pictures
Prerequisite
Last edited by T2k3 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.x] T2k3's Bob's Overhaul

Post by aklesey1 »

Theoretically? can ur expansion be compatible with angel's mods? Or are you not a adherent of the ideas of Arch666Angel? Just curious
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by T2k3 »

aklesey1 wrote:Theoretically? can ur expansion be compatible with angel's mods? Or are you not a adherent of the ideas of Arch666Angel? Just curious
Well "theoretically" i could make a version for Angels. The part that makes it problematic is the amount of recipes i would need to revisit in Angels. Angels has around 10x the amount of recipes of bob's. Not to speak of all the companion mods. If we talk about cutting out my fusion reactor and somehow get it into Angels, that would be pretty simple.

By the way i'm still working on my mod and this is so to speak the "alpha". If you got anything of angels you like and wan't it in bob's i could take a look if i add a "light"-version.

Edit: Just to be precise, i mean add a light version of it to my overhaul. Naturally for bob's you have to ask bobingabout.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Required

All of bob's (yes, go catch em all)
Seriously? Did you check all of them for compatibility?

Here's my error and all mods
https://yadi.sk/i/CZxzl3Vr3Pps6F

Factorio tells me that bob's modules have errors, WUT :shock: :?:

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by T2k3 »

aklesey1 wrote: Seriously? Did you check all of them for compatibility?

Here's my error and all mods
https://yadi.sk/i/CZxzl3Vr3Pps6F

Factorio tells me that bob's modules have errors, WUT :shock: :?:
Yes, all as in ores,enemies,inserters,vehicleequipment,plates,assembly,logistics,mining,modules,warefare. And yes as i uploaded it i tested it with all of the bobmods. The error you see there is the result of my messing with bob's. I rip out half of the modules but the mod that start missing it is the bobs one. And after a little test i see what went wrong :/ actually i didn't enforce that module settings i need.

I made the "ripping out"-part of my mod a bit bigger and stuffed all my changes since last time in. Now you shouldn't get any errors even if you enabled the raw/god-modules (since i rip em out as well)

https://thorsten.coding4coffee.org/fact ... _1.0.1.zip

As all is in flux, there are some major changes since last version, such as:

- simplified electronics
- removed fuel cell
- removed electric smelter ( i need to revisit the whole liquid metal story )
- changed smelting ratios
- mud pump added
- slag recipes have their own tech now
- renaming of all the ores, should still be obvious what's what
- even moar realism

As i said, i'm still working on it.

AND most importantly: thanks for your feedback!

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Crap - https://yadi.sk/i/SDAkcLcy3Pqfu9 - to you still is over what to work T2K3
To tell the truth, I expect the birth interesting mod, it's necessary just to wait a stage when such inconvenient mistakes climb :D
Last edited by aklesey1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by T2k3 »

aklesey1 wrote:Crap - https://yadi.sk/i/SDAkcLcy3Pqfu9 - to you still is over what to work T2K3
Еo tell the truth, I expect the birth interesting mod, it's necessary just to wait a stage when such inconvenient mistakes climb :D
All begins are hard ^^ thanks for staying with me :)

And another. Tested with a unconfigured fresh install:

https://thorsten.coding4coffee.org/fact ... _1.0.2.zip

And in case you want to give rso a try, here is a version with a config for my mod:

https://thorsten.coding4coffee.org/fact ... _3.4.5.zip

I looked through your mod-list. And i want to point out that Bio-Industries and BobExtended might break the balance my mod tries to archive. I didn't really tested it through, so i eagerly await your feedback.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

T2k3 wrote:
aklesey1 wrote:Crap - https://yadi.sk/i/SDAkcLcy3Pqfu9 - to you still is over what to work T2K3
Еo tell the truth, I expect the birth interesting mod, it's necessary just to wait a stage when such inconvenient mistakes climb :D
All begins are hard ^^ thanks for staying with me :)

And another. Tested with a unconfigured fresh install:

https://thorsten.coding4coffee.org/fact ... _1.0.2.zip

And in case you want to give rso a try, here is a version with a config for my mod:

https://thorsten.coding4coffee.org/fact ... _3.4.5.zip

I looked through your mod-list. And i want to point out that Bio-Industries and BobExtended might break the balance my mod tries to archive. I didn't really tested it through, so i eagerly await your feedback.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/momosundeass/BobExtended
Oh sorry I completely forgot about Bob's Extended by MoMoSundeas mod - i left this mod because its works very good on 0.14 version but author - MoMoSundeas - not updated its so decided to leave it in mod pack, but if the bug was in it then I still would've disabled it

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Hooray, at last its works
So what I saw, my rfeview with spoilers from mod :D
1) New ores
2) New metals
3) Saw fewer modules
4) May be idea of slag came out of the prototype stage - in your understanding for this mod
5) Science packs - the idea of crafting the science packs is simplified to the horror, the game simply ceases to challenge you to try to create a calibrated chain to craft science packs - well, this is very much a moot point in a box, i don't want to offend u at this question
6) 4 ways to craft common batteries - 4 CARL!!! OMG and why i need it& But ok, let it remains
7) Many types of fuel cells - thanks to SgmaOne's mod - I have yet to taste the essence of this mod
8) Using copper and iron ore as catalysts in oil processing - commendable, I approve
9) Liquid smelting and casting for iron tin and copper - i think its prototype for now
10) More realistic titanium processing with magnesium - commendable, I approve
11) Creating plastics from ammonia or from fluorite - moot point, I don't know what to say but can be useful
12) Functionality and craft modules were clearly cut - I can only say that I'm used to a sophisticated system of Bobingabout and I liked everything but I'll get used to it and then
13) 2 different ways to craft circuit boards

What I'd like to see after my wishes:
1) More applications for bronze
2) More applications for resin
3) More applications for rubber
4) More applications for bob's ceramics

Some questons
1) Application field of quartz ore was changed and its looks like its mining really hard, strange
For now in ur mod quartz is mixed ore with some another resources like magnesium or hydrogen fluoride
2) Another question is:

Will u make another separate mod (i think it must be exactly separated) to make it compatible with Angel's mods - you know, probably extremely inappropriate to compare Angel's mods with this creation - but i love angel's refining, smelting, petrochem and bio processing mods, especially petrochem - it was amazing when i try it for first time, what about refining mod with its 6 ores and their processing - when I started to learn it, it forced me to think hard :D

And yes ur mod reminds me about CMH mod, its for bob's mods too
And look at another amazing project for bob's mods - :roll: i don't ask for compatibility with it - this is a separate, pretty much closed system in game balance with its own interesting ideas (its own science packs - first 3 were reworked) - py coal processing viewtopic.php?f=94&t=32272 -bcuz bob's extended mod is a nursery so u understand 8-)

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by T2k3 »

Woha, that's a whole barrage of new ideas, impressions and constructive critics! Thanks so much for that! (i was pretty much starving for feedback till now)

First of, my whole angle in this mod is "it must be real" or it must be "realistic" hence the problem with bronze. As much as i searched it only industrial use i found was in petrochem for piping. In case of resin, rubber and ceramics was that i thought there were some heavy users already and i added rubber to belts. I guess i need to study angels,BobExtended,CMH and pY Coal Processing for a bit ^^

To your list:

1) i would like to add even more so you need to build a processing plant for them, a bit like angels. The problem here is a bit to find the right balance here.
2) well same as 1) if i could find realistic metals to use and balance them out, i would add all the metals ^^
3) yes, especially in the last iteration i balanced the mod in the way that ores yield less and modules are less powerful to get out of the bob's-overpower region and be more realistic
4) the point of slag is a bit that i assume that you create waste as you smelt stuff (as you do in reality) with you can reprocess to other stuff so you can balance a bit what you have or get small amounts of zinc and nickel early
5) well here was the idea to get it a bit more to "number crunching science" then "offerings to the science gods" i thought already about a something like "you new to put material in experiments" but that didn't got out yet. The other part here is that i made buildings much more expensive so you still need the iron. That lead to a somehow grindy experience and i'm not to sure if that's really enjoyable.
6) you would be surprised how many more types of batteries are out there ^^ the angle here was more of a "chose your poison"
7) makes the whole nuklear story pretty wide, sadly i never got to the point to use them all but since thorium was there and in reality i felt it must be useable in my mod
8) thanks :) here again, it's been there in reality
9) yepp, it is, still unsure to leave it in, make it mandatory or rip it out completely
10) see 8)
11) plastics is a big point, in a way you can convert wood to plastic with my mod and since i put it in all sorts of parts i thought i would be a good idea, but given how fast you can produce plastic with petroleum and chlorine i should maybe cut down a bit here :?
12|13) i tried to get the extrem curve of bob's circuits somehow under control but maybe there is another way. I'm not too happy with my solution since it goes against my realism ideal. But it clearly needs something to get the extrem curve of first to second tier circuits smoothed. The circuits printing was meant as a way to get a second way with is fast and uses other materials since you use them up for science like nothing. Here again its realistic but would mean you cut down of possibly productivity steps.

To your questions:
1) year the original usage shifted extremely from source of silicone to "what the hell could i use it for" there is some work to be done as well. There are some hardness and mining changes i did, you need water for example to mine gold now, but i can't remember that i changed quartz :? gotta investigate
2) well i guess for angels i would need finde a nother angle ^^ it would be a whole story in an on it self to "realism" angels. Should this one here be stable that would be a new fun journey i think. But one after a nother ^^

That all said and thrown at the world. Your input was very refreshing and made clear that my priorities are all over the place. Since my goal was to get as much realism in as there is, i would lean to throw out my "simplifications" and smooth the rest out with even more content ^^ as well my science system could use some more finess :?

Thanks again for all the input!

Return to “Bob's mods”