[MOD 0.18] ShinyBobGFX

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] ShinyBobGFX

Post by alercah »

When playing angelbob with all the shiny mods enabled, all of the chemical plants are visible in the menu from both angel's and bob's. Note that chemical plant 1 from bob's is visible without the shiny mods too (reported to Angel).

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

For me, the stock chemical plant, all three of Bob's Chemical Plants, all four of Angel's Chemical Plants, and both of Angel's Advanced Chemical Plants are visible even without ShinyAngel or ShinyBob. I assumed this was intentional on Angel's part.

The properties are mixed; in some ways Bob's plants are better, but in other ways Angel's are better, so the choice between the two isn't automatic.

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

They looked like the same properties to me, which is why I was very confused. Maybe it is intentional though? I asked on Angel's forum anyway.

EDIT: Oh, I see, Bob's chemical plants 2-4 are on the Production tab but the other one is on the petrochem tab, with no shinygfx enabled. Oof. Also the properties are clearly different.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyIcons (I came here cos the portal says so)
combined with Bob´s logistics this mod moves the belts back to the main crafting tab.
while the icon for belts is on the logistics tab and the main one is already overflowing when playing heavy modded.

Not gonna post a log file or mod list, its easy enough to test. Its all Bob´s mods and when this mod gets removed, belts are all back in the logistics tab

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Grumpy - I changed the bob-logistics icon so it's not confusing I hope. I moved the belts back to the main crafting tab because that's where belts belong =]
I'm not sure your mod list, but my main crafting tab has 15 rows and the bob-logistics has 18.

DaleStan/alercah - The chem plants are a nightmare. Depending on which mods you have installed they seem to be in a different tab and sometimes mk1 will be in a different tab from the rest for reasons. I did my best to consolidate them in the same tab at least for all the iterations I could find. As for them being displayed at all, that's on Bob/Angel. If they don't choose to remove redundant items or items without recipes, then I'll do my best to sort them but I won't remove/hide them. That's a game change and would undoubtedly bite me in the ass.

qwerter96
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qwerter96 »

The below error occurs when I try to load shinybobgfx, I think it's to do with the latest atlas resizings
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (28.16 KiB) Viewed 7414 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

qwerter96 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:07 pm
The below error occurs when I try to load shinybobgfx, I think it's to do with the latest atlas resizings
Untitled.png
It's because I updated Bobwarfare with some icons increased from size 32 to size 64.
The way this mod works means Zombiee needs to update it after I change things like this.

Hey Zombiee, have you thought about trying to read icon_size from an item/recipe when you edit the icons?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Qwerter - thanks for the report, should be functional now.

Bob - Yes. Problem is some things I ignore your icons and just use my own, I now just reset them to size 32 as that is what my icons currently are. I might make size 64 icons in the future. Some other things I use your icons and add powerbars (if the option is enabled). I have a separate function that uses 64 size powerbars but I manually assign it for now. I should add a check to these so the function is chosen based on the original icon size, but I'm becoming less pleased with the function itself and might scrap it and start over. It's bloated into more nested if's, option checks and error checks than I like.

Unfortunately my lack of skill in coding is similar to my lack of skill in gfx editing. I know just enough to realize how little I know and problems are solved only by inordinate amount of google searches and yelling at the monitor so new things are hard on the vocal chords/neighbors. I'll come up with something betterer soonish though.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zombiee wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 am
Unfortunately my lack of skill in coding is similar to my lack of skill in gfx editing. I know just enough to realize how little I know and problems are solved only by inordinate amount of google searches and yelling at the monitor so new things are hard on the vocal chords/neighbors. I'll come up with something betterer soonish though.
I could lend a hand if you need it.
I also have a Patreon.

Vigil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vigil »

Out of interest, (and I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place,) are you guys looking for icons for some of the less "dressed-up" technologies and intermediate items? Stuff like rocket bodies and bullet casings, and some of the Bobs Warfare technologies (specifically the different fruity flavors of ammo) don't seem to have the same feel as other items.
(Also, the Grinding technology looks a little out of place, but that always seemed pretty passable, being a pic of an actual grinding wheel.) I was going to modify the icons in my game for personal use but I think offering them is the kind thing to do, once they're finished?

Obviously I'd work to preserve the concept of each icon so that I don't damage the notion each one is trying to convey.

These are the ones I'm mainly thinking of.

And an example of a remodel - obviously the final versions would be textured and rendered out - and I'd probably use the item textures. For instance, AP Shells as an *item* have red brass and black casings, but the technology has gold-colored brass and sky blue casings. I think the red and black works better for AP coloring, really - and it more faithfully references the actual item in-game. Boxes would be labelled clearly too as part of the technology texture.

[ Currently not able to service requests. Apologies for the inconvenience. ]

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Vigil wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 pm
Out of interest, (and I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place,) are you guys looking for icons for some of the less "dressed-up" technologies and intermediate items? Stuff like rocket bodies and bullet casings, and some of the Bobs Warfare technologies (specifically the different fruity flavors of ammo) don't seem to have the same feel as other items.

Obviously I'd work to preserve the concept of each icon so that I don't damage the notion each one is trying to convey.
The icons you see here are what the old base game icons used to look like... well, not for shotgun shells, that's a google picture(red is the original and recoloured for the rest).
If you look at the new Plasma ammo, they use icons more in line with the new base game icons.

Also keep in mind that what currently exists is colour coded to match the alien artifacts used to make them. looking at the science packs used to unlock them, you don't have that part of the mod turned on. but Piercing is blue, Electric is orange, Explosive is yellow, Fire is red, Acid is purple and poison is green.

New icons would be welcome, but that doesn't mean I personally would use them in my mod, but they may get used elsewhere, such as in ShineyBob if Zombiee likes them. (I believe I've actually seen some icons, back when vanilla first changed them, that changed my icons to look like new vanilla)

if you're making them from scratch (looks like you used a 3D model there) I'd suggest you go at least with icon size 128 for use on a technology icon. (new icons will be size 64 in the base game, not sure when. But if they keep that pattern, tech icons would be 256)
I also have a Patreon.

Vigil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vigil »

bobingabout wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:43 pm
The icons you see here are what the old base game icons used to look like... well, not for shotgun shells, that's a google picture(red is the original and recoloured for the rest).
If you look at the new Plasma ammo, they use icons more in line with the new base game icons.

Also keep in mind that what currently exists is colour coded to match the alien artifacts used to make them. looking at the science packs used to unlock them, you don't have that part of the mod turned on. but Piercing is blue, Electric is orange, Explosive is yellow, Fire is red, Acid is purple and poison is green.
I did see the plasma ammo, yes... I actually wasn't aware that it was all based on the science packs. I recognize that the decision was intentional but it also seems sort of arbitrary - the shells themselves (not to mention the science packs associated with the technologies) are probably more "visible" in the sense that they're more prevalent... buuuut, of course, I don't have the right to make stylistic changes to other people's mods; that was just my initial takeaway. That, and I haven't seen for myself the crafting changes that this other component of the mod would make.
bobingabout wrote:
New icons would be welcome, but that doesn't mean I personally would use them in my mod, but they may get used elsewhere, such as in ShineyBob if Zombiee likes them. (I believe I've actually seen some icons, back when vanilla first changed them, that changed my icons to look like new vanilla)
Yeah, I figured there would definitely be no accounting for taste - that's mostly why I brought it to this part of the forum rather than suggest them directly to yourself - but if they're wanted (by aforementioned Zombiee), I'll keep the originals on hand. As they're for personal use to begin with it's no trouble if they go unwanted by anyone else~ I don't mean to presume that you were searching for any personally, but with ShinyBob being a graphics overhaul I thought I'd offer.
bobingabout wrote:
if you're making them from scratch (looks like you used a 3D model there) I'd suggest you go at least with icon size 128 for use on a technology icon. (new icons will be size 64 in the base game, not sure when. But if they keep that pattern, tech icons would be 256)
Yep, all home grown polygons! I'll make sure to make them the right size, this isn't my first rodeo~ Thanks for the input!
[ Currently not able to service requests. Apologies for the inconvenience. ]

gargan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gargan »

Unable to load mod

Agalyon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Agalyon »

Having the same problem as gargan

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Should be fixified now.

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rue99 »

With all the latest and greatest Bob/Angels mods, I'm getting the attached error. I have vague memories (helpful, I know!) of seeing something similar before, but sadly, lost in the mists of time.
shinybobgfxerror.png
shinybobgfxerror.png (26.01 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
Any thoughts? Mod list available on request ofc.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Rue99 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:00 am
With all the latest and greatest Bob/Angels mods, I'm getting the attached error. I have vague memories (helpful, I know!) of seeing something similar before, but sadly, lost in the mists of time.

shinybobgfxerror.png

Any thoughts? Mod list available on request ofc.
Layers? on solar panels? not all solar panels have layers, the ones I added were based on old game graphics, which had a single picture for them, didn't even have a shadow layer.

honestly, I don't know what the issue is.
I also have a Patreon.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I'm unable to recreate the issue. Mod list and versions? Any other mod that fiddles with solar panels? More info please =]

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rue99 »

I shall winnow down the mods to spare you the effort (I'm playing with a metric hojillion mods!) . More information as I have it!

*edit*

Update:

Tracked down the error to an erroneously enabled mod [ColourTierHR].

Thank you both for the speedy responses. I shall now stand in the corner and think about what I've done.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I will shamelessly take full credit. I suspect you can have one or the other but both does *something*.

Return to “Bob's mods”