[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Modules.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.7] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

you're right, there's an extra line in the recipe/module-merged.lua file that causes this. I'll fix it in 0.2.7
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

Is there a reason productivity modules aren't limited to intermediate goods like in the base game? Also, Bob's materials/intermediates aren't recognized by base game productivity modules ( function productivitymodulelimitation). With the Uraniumpower mod because of the way enrichment works if you get a high enough productivity you can get infinite uranium hexafluoride of a high enrichment level.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think the main reason why I didn't limit it was because it would be quite annoying trying to keep track of everything to add to that list manually. then there's also the issue that other mods might not add their intermediates too, so it was easier to just remove the limitation.
I also have a Patreon.

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

Hello,

There are bugged Recipe´s, if you use Bob Modules V.0.2.7 with Vanilla Resources. ( if u dont use Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates).

Speed, Effectivity,Produtivity,Pollution Cleaning & Pollution Producing Processor Board´s, all require Processing Unit´s twice.
The Inserter´s, yust fill the first slot, but not the slot for the second Processing Unit. (+1 or more Inserter´s, that inserting Processing Unit´s, didnt help).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

A balance question:

Are green mods meant to be that good?

With 2x lvl 2 ones you can get all machines to the -80% minimum and still have slots left. It means that pollution over whole base drops significantly (12k per tile in the middle to about 500).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lone_Player wrote:Hello,

There are bugged Recipe´s, if you use Bob Modules V.0.2.7 with Vanilla Resources. ( if u dont use Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates).

Speed, Effectivity,Produtivity,Pollution Cleaning & Pollution Producing Processor Board´s, all require Processing Unit´s twice.
The Inserter´s, yust fill the first slot, but not the slot for the second Processing Unit. (+1 or more Inserter´s, that inserting Processing Unit´s, didnt help).
Yeah... I found where that is in the file, I'll probably need to re-write the if block for that area completely to stop it doing that.
orzelek wrote:A balance question:

Are green mods meant to be that good?

With 2x lvl 2 ones you can get all machines to the -80% minimum and still have slots left. It means that pollution over whole base drops significantly (12k per tile in the middle to about 500).
Probably not, I should probably adjust that and half their values, because right now MK5 and up are pointless.

to both questions though, I'm not going to get time to fix this today, so I've made a note of it in my modding todo list.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.8] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

I havn't properly tested it, but it should work, let me know if there are any problems.

v0.2.8
* Fixed duplicate processing unit on processing board 3 recipes when not using Bob's MCI mod for electronics. It now has 2 procesing units in a single stack, and can use DyTech's Advanced Processing Unit.
* Changed the Energy consumption multipliers on all modules. Effectivity and Green reduce by 15% per level instead of 20%, and others increase as a side effect do so by 15% per level instead of 20%.
* Changed the Polution consumption multipliers on all modules. Cleaning and Green modules reduce by 10% per level instead of 20%, others that increase it as a side effect do so by 10% per level instead of 20%.
* Polution creating modules increase polution by 50% per level instead of 20%.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thanks for the update.

Small question - making the green modules assymetrical is by design to annoy those of us with a bit OCD? ;)
To get both stats to -80 we will need to get one of them past the limit now.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:Thanks for the update.

Small question - making the green modules assymetrical is by design to annoy those of us with a bit OCD? ;)
To get both stats to -80 we will need to get one of them past the limit now.
no, though I can understand how you feel.

The aim: To make Green modules useful when used by itself. With these new settings, to get -80% in polution you need a MK 8, therefore it is now useful when used on its own.

I then went back and took a look at the base game's modules to compare those values to mine, which was the result of 10% and 15% penalties per level on the productivity module.
I also wanted to keep with the system that -% polution on a cleaning module should cancel out the +% polution level on the productivity module, and the same for energy consumption.
The result being that Effectivity modules became 15% per level, and polution cleaning became 10% per level.

Given my aims, would you change values on my modules? what would you set them to? just state a bonus per level for each stat, Speed, Effectivity, Productivity, and Polution. Also state if I should change the stats on the modules (EG, re-add -% speed on productivity like in the base game)
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tbh I'm not that good with numbers and balancing.
Haven't played un-modded game from long time so I don't recall base values.

And as personal preference I'm only using green and productivity mods. Was thinking about speed ones but I prefer productivity over speed. I'm playing the Shadow's modpack and time is plenty there once you get pollution and evolution under control and fortify a bit.

They were clearly op at 20 per level - greens should be still quite good with 10/15 since their effect is multiplicative.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:And as personal preference I'm only using green and productivity mods. Was thinking about speed ones but I prefer productivity over speed.
They were clearly op at 20 per level - greens should be still quite good with 10/15 since their effect is multiplicative.
I personally use a single Green (was level 4, but with the change I'll need to start using level 8 to get the full 80% in both polution and energy consumption) and fill every other slot with Productivity modules in all my machines. If I want to add speed, I then use speed modules in an effect transmitter MK3, typically replacing the green module in the machines in the coverage area with a Productivity module, and using the green module in the transmitter instead.

And, yeah, if you weren't using any modules with side effects, A MK4 Green module would see you to maximum power and polution efficiency, making MK5 to MK8 pointless. with a 10% in there, you need a MK8 to get the full 80%.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.2.9] Bob's Modules.

Post by bobingabout »

I forgot to add the new languages last update.
I've also been meaning to make these "God modules" for a while now. The only module you'll ever need!

Maybe I need to make them more expensive >.>.

v0.2.9
* Added German translation
* Added Russian Translation
* Added "God Module" series that improves Productivity, Speed, Polution and Energy consumption. You can turn this chain off in config.lua.
I also have a Patreon.

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

By putting raw productivity modules into pumps that pack/unpack liquids into barrels/bottles/cans it is possible generate infinite amounts of those liquids and of their containers (you can create a closed loop with two pumps). This effect can be boosted by surrounding pumps with beacons that increase pump speed. Even with level one pump I can generate massive amounts of any liquid in the game. This really feels like cheating and should probably be fixed.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

tux_mark_5 wrote:By putting raw productivity modules into pumps that pack/unpack liquids into barrels/bottles/cans it is possible generate infinite amounts of those liquids and of their containers (you can create a closed loop with two pumps). This effect can be boosted by surrounding pumps with beacons that increase pump speed. Even with level one pump I can generate massive amounts of any liquid in the game. This really feels like cheating and should probably be fixed.
Thats a nasty loophole. It would work also with any mod that allows item packaging to produce items.
I guess that that list of items that are prohibiting use of productivity module needs to exist.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Although it is possible to fix it, it's not going to be an easy fix. And although I could fix it for my mod, it would mean that you can't use these productivity modules on intermediates from any other mod, unless they fix them too.

This is part of the reason why I didn't use a limiter.

Now, I could write in some sort of function for people to pass recipe names to a list to be added to the modules, but then it's up to other mods to add to the list, and I'd take a good bet that most wouldn't do it.
I also have a Patreon.

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

I really don't mind about not being able to use productivity modules for intermediates from other mods. Personally, I just use Bob's mods without anything else.

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

I would say, let it as it is.

Why ? for my opinion;

A.) If you want to use/abuse it. You can.
B.) if you dont want to, you can simply did not use the Module.
C.) "Although it is possible to fix it, it's not going to be an easy fix." -> " it's up to other mods to add to the list, and I'd take a good bet that most wouldn't do it."
D.) even the Vanilla Version of the Game allows, to create an unlimited ammount of Oil from Oil well´s, if u use Solarenergy, to pump it up. It´s even without support cost´s.
The only difference is the time that it takes, to create ammount X.
E.) + you woudt have to use, another Mod or two, to turn the Barrel´s, or whatever, to iron / copper again.
Woudt it be easyer & faster to simply build a Mine & a Railway, that transport the Ore to the Factory´s ?

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

Vanilla game actually disallows this loophole. You cannot use productivity modules when packing/unpacking oil into barrels. Also, the issue here is mostly with the efficiency of the loophole. Just in seconds you can fill up an entire storage tank with any liquid you want (for example, petroleum gas). Also, when using productivity modules to build final/non-intermediate products it feels that these productivity modules are quite overpowered. By sticking 5 +20% raw productivity modules into an assembler you can easily double the output. Various products in Bob's mods have already quite a few more intermediate products and production steps, thus amplifying this effect.

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

Lone_Player wrote:I would say, let it as it is.

Why ? for my opinion;

A.) If you want to use/abuse it. You can.
B.) if you dont want to, you can simply did not use the Module.
I agree. If it feels like cheating to you, don't do it. Otherwise it sounds like too much work to make it compatible with every other mod.

On a totally unrelated topic:
Bob, would you consider changing effectivity back to efficiency? Maybe you have a reason for using that word, but I've read all the posts here and you didn't mention it. I don't think effectivity is the right word for what the module is doing.
Effectiveness is about doing the right task, completing activities and achieving goals. Efficiency is about doing things in an optimal way, for example doing it the fastest or in the least expensive way.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Effect ... Efficiency

Thanks for making one of the best mods for Factorio!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I just used the same name that is used in base game... or at least what it's called in code.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”