Nuclear ideas (Thorium and others)

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Nuclear ideas (Thorium and others)

Post by bobingabout »

loganb wrote:The depleted water should not be recyclable, I was going to suggest "mineral water" but then realized that's an Angel's thing. There should be a concept of a wastewater that isn't useful for anything.

To be more precise, the steps would be:

- Sulfide process that consumes water and small amounts of Hydrogen Sulfide, outputs depleted water and Enriched Water (HDO)
- Fractional Distilation where the inputs are heat and Enriched Water, and the output is Deuterated Water and depleted water
- Electrolysis where the hydrogen electrolytes preferentially, leaving D2O and Hydrogen Gas
Well, if we were to go with waste water that can't be used for anything, there would need to be a disposal method. Besides, we were talking about a non-sulfide based process, so it would be pure water out if anything.
Besides, from what I understand about the sulfide process, it actually creates D2O (by shuffling around the Deuterium into a single heavy water molecule) rather than just separating the HDO from the H2O
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Me and Homusubi are already working on restarting the ancient 0.12-0.13 Thunderstone Thorium reactor mod. We are currently on 'Valve time'.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I guess you already have a source of thorium ore then :P
I also have a Patreon.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

bobingabout wrote:I guess you already have a source of thorium ore then :P
Yes. As matter of fact we made a completely NEW ore for it and made it also seamlessly fuse with the game. It is called Monazite, a RL ore, that is used to get Rare Earth Ore's for advanced circuitry and CPU's. It also has a considerable content of Thorium oxides. So basically, we switched the copper wires in red and blue circuits for Rare Earth wires (they look like dark blue copper wires in the game) and my colleague made a reactor building based on the KS Power's oil boiler building while Thorium Ore is further refined into purified Thorium in furnaces and later Liquid Thorium Salt reactor fuel in Chemical Plants.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not very active with modding at the moment, but I am thinking of coming back to it and doing a few things.

what do you think of these icons?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p72w6uf8ysisl ... 8.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/flmwowuw4a4jo ... 8.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt1sfd4kwoa86 ... 8.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3xvekst5a52j ... 8.png?dl=0

Heavy water is a new image. (Taken from Wikipedia, which is under a free to use licence)
Semi heavy water is a recolour of heavy water
Hydrogen Deuteride and Deuterium are both recolours of Hydrogen.

I made them for some reason, but can't remember the exact process.

I think it was something along these lines.
100 water -> Chemical plant(Or I could add pipes to the centrifuge and use that) -> 99.5 Pure water + 0.5 Semi-heavy water. (which is a generous ratio towards the heavy water, but that's still an excessively small value. You'll be pressed for what to do with all that pure water)
You already know what to do with pure water.
Semi-heavy water -> Electrolysis -> Oxygen + hydrogen-deuteride (in theory it will actually be a mix of Hydrogen, hydrogen-deuteride and Deuterium, values same as pure water electrolysis values)
hydrogen-deuteride (+ Possibly some other intermediate, like sulfuric acid) -> Chemical plant -> Hydrogen + Deuterium.
Deuterium + Oxygen -> Chemical furnace? (Only 1 fluid input, Maybe Chemical plant) -> Heavy water
Heavy water -> Electrolysis -> Oxygen + Deuterium (Reverse process of the above)

I THINK That would be the chain, the question is what do you use each step for? Deuterium and Heavy water would likely be the most useful steps.

In theory you can use Deuterium as some sort of fuel, a fusion fuel that makes Helium, or just burn it in oxygen to make heavy water, as if it were hydrogen(But with this one, what would be the point, when you already have hydrogen)
And heavy water is apparently used as a neutron absorption fluid in nuclear reactors.
I also have a Patreon.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

bobingabout wrote: In theory you can use Deuterium as some sort of fuel, a fusion fuel that makes Helium, or just burn it in oxygen to make heavy water, as if it were hydrogen(But with this one, what would be the point, when you already have hydrogen)
And heavy water is apparently used as a neutron absorption fluid in nuclear reactors.

Perhaps make a reactor mk2 that won't take normal fuel, but a fuel+heavy water combo unit that produces more heat or something? (assuming that it'd be difficult to add a pipe connection to a reactor since it doesn't have one in the default sprite, so thinking you'd have to have a process that takes fuel and combines it with heavy water into a new 3rd item)

Eyl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eyl »

Why don't you expand on the Undarl "Fussion" mod? Theres alot missing from there, Deuterium/Nb3SN etc etc.

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by T2k3 »

A little follow up from the rebalancing nuclear discussion. I switch to sigma one's nuclear mod for that, but after a while the whole seamed not to fit quite well with bob's so i did a little patch mod i want to share. (attached to the post)

The mod comes basically as a number of new recipes:

1x quartz + 10 sulfuric acid -> 10x hydrogen-fluoride
1x florine ore + 20 sulfuric acid -> 20x hydrogen-fluoride
1x uranium ore + 10 chlorine -> 10x uranium chloride
10x uranium chloride + 20x hydrogen-fluoride -> 25 uranium-hexafluoride

and a "Pure Salt water electrolysis" witch takes more pure/water and won't output sodium hydroxide, otherwise you would drown in the stuff with the amount of chlorine you need now.

The uranium recipes will be unlocked with the nuclear tech and the chlorine comes with chemical processing 2.

The quartz recipe is so you can keep the fuel cycle running without an fluorine-ore patch, but at the expanse of losing quartz.

@bobingabout
Sigma solves the "centrifuge misses a pipe connection"-problem pretty nicely by using barrels instead of fluid
Attachments
t2k3_SON_bp_1.0.0.zip
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Hiya, I recently made a small nuclear processing mod that introduces thorium fuel cycles (as well as plutonium management.)
The idea is for it to use thorium ore from bobores. There may be some ideas in it worth using.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MadClown ... ns-Nuclear

lamenters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lamenters »

My suggestions for you bob are Thorium Salt reactors, using Sodium Hydroxide and water perhaps, something along those lines.
Also could be used in a lithium/tritium process to help with your deuterium generation

Return to “Bob's mods”