[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by sarcolopter »

How do I stop the mod from overriding my base richness value for stone? Checked the ore entries, nothing in there; all other vanilla ores are unaffected, they still have the correct values.

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

bobingabout wrote:
sarcolopter wrote:anywhere to download all the mods as a pre-configured pack?
Yes.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Factorio/0.15
it's a link at the top of the page viewtopic.php?f=51&t=44915

if you know how dropbox works, you should know that you can click the menu button on the "Latest" line, and click download, which will download the entire directory as a zip file.

Viola! you now have the entire official latest bob's mods package in a single zip file.
The only mod missing is the fan maintained boblocale mod, which holds all the language translations.

Really made me think.

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: Loader Question

Post by T2k3 »

TubbyBoy419 wrote:All,

Have a problem. Finally researched loaders, and I'm attempting to use them. One loader into a provider chest, and two out, as in the wood production blueprint.

For some reason, nothing happens. I've set the filters on the loaders to be raw wood, and there's raw wood waiting at the input loader.

Does the belt have to be full before The loader will activate?
First, Loaders aren't part of bob's, you probably got them with angels.

To your question: Loaders work like Inserters that output as fast that the belt supports and both lanes. I guess you just have to change the direction of the loader ("hover over it and press 'r')

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: Loader Question

Post by bobingabout »

TubbyBoy419 wrote:All,

Have a problem. Finally researched loaders, and I'm attempting to use them. One loader into a provider chest, and two out, as in the wood production blueprint.

For some reason, nothing happens. I've set the filters on the loaders to be raw wood, and there's raw wood waiting at the input loader.

Does the belt have to be full before The loader will activate?
Loaders are not a part of Bob's mods....

Though, from what I remember, you have to rotate the loader. (It doesn't actually rotate, it just swaps between Belt->chest and chest->belt when you point to it and press the rotate button)
sarcolopter wrote:How do I stop the mod from overriding my base richness value for stone? Checked the ore entries, nothing in there; all other vanilla ores are unaffected, they still have the correct values.
I was going to say... go to options, and turn it off? but then I remembered that it's probably part of bobplates to hard turn it on....

You can still do it though, go to the bob's plates section of the options and turn off the option to enable required ores.
then go back up to the ores section and manually turn on all the ores you want on.

You'll need a source of everything except Thorium. By default there will already be a source of some items, like Sulfur, and cobalt (via cobalt oxide from copper).

you don't have to turn on an ore for each item either, you can get nickel from galena for example, rather than having nickel ore. Gems from ores is another option, rather than gem ores.

and although I recommend water ores (Lithia water and "Water" (Pure water if that option it turned on, regular water if it isn't) puddles like oil), you can go to bobplates and turn on the water from pump options instead. (Which although is the original method, I find cheatey, because it's just free water without a source)
sarcolopter wrote:
bobingabout wrote: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Factorio/0.15
it's a link at the top of the page viewtopic.php?f=51&t=44915
Really made me think.
I can't see your images right now, the network I'm currently using blocks that site.

But... I apologise, I clicked the link from the top of that page, then copied the link in my browser. Because I was already logged into drop box, it automatically redirected me to my dropbox page instead of the one public version of it.

this is what you want.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3u3702za9bjz ... jFALa?dl=0
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

Random question: Is there a reason that the gems do not have the same name as the recipe that creates them? One has a bobs- prefix the other doesn't.

I was using the Recipe Combinator mod to do all my gem processing with just 3 assemblers and it is a giant pain because of that. I ended up creating a private mod that adds recipes with the same name and then it works fine. Basically, if the names are the same you can use the signal for the item to select the recipe, otherwise you need to manually select the recipe from a special category that gets created automagically (and thus need an extra 24 combinators to do the conversion). With the names matching I think it only took 6 combinators total. I tried changing the existing items and/or recipes but the interdependencies made that really troublesome.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

arbarbonif wrote:Random question: Is there a reason that the gems do not have the same name as the recipe that creates them? One has a bobs- prefix the other doesn't.
Because I used item names from DyTech mod, which was a semi-popular at the time, and I wanted to allow compatibility without duplicating items.
Same item, different recipe.
arbarbonif wrote:I was using the Recipe Combinator mod to do all my gem processing with just 3 assemblers and it is a giant pain because of that. I ended up creating a private mod that adds recipes with the same name and then it works fine. Basically, if the names are the same you can use the signal for the item to select the recipe, otherwise you need to manually select the recipe from a special category that gets created automagically (and thus need an extra 24 combinators to do the conversion). With the names matching I think it only took 6 combinators total. I tried changing the existing items and/or recipes but the interdependencies made that really troublesome.
Gems actually aren't the only recipes in my mod like this... as an example. gold-plate item and bob-gold-plate recipe for example... this is because the ore is in a position where anyone can use gold-ore, but the process I use is more unique to my mod, so if someone had a gold-plate recipe for a furnace to just stick in the ore and smelt it, that would work, where my recipe requires adding Chlorine with it in a chemical furnace.
Also on the note of ores... lead-ore aka Galena has 3 recipes. Tier 1 Stick it in a furnace and smelt it is named lead-plate, but the 2 higher tiers have different names. (Also although there's 3 different paths total, the two that aren't stick it in a furnace give lead-oxide, which then smelts into lead-plate, so there's only 2 lead-plate recipes)
I also have a Patreon.

hannibal_f4e
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hannibal_f4e »

Just finished a first Bob's playthrough in co-op with a friend, and it was great !
Thanks for the time & effort you put in all your mods :)

I also posted a mini-list of things I liked & disliked about your mods; you can find it here :
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... tes_about/
( CTRL+F => " About Bob's mods " )

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

•End-game is really lackluster. Sending a rocket almost requires vanilla-only components.
•There should be a Bob's Rocket mod which works like SpaceX mod, but which uses Bob's mods into rocket parts recipes.
it sounds like you don't have bobrevamp installed.

bobrevamp overhauls a few things in the game, namely oil processing and rockets.

The overhaul to rockets for example changes the control unit to use bob electronic components (which you won't really notice if you don't have bob electronics installed), adds in a heat shield component, and completely reworks how you make rocket fuel (Which gets undone by angel's mod, because he does it his own way), and changes the light density structure to use aluminium.
Rocket fuel is basically made from Air and Water with my mod (Specifically Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen, but goes through quite a complex chain of chemical plants to get there, plus the air pump and electrolysers in the beggining)

Here is a screenshot of my rocket fuel factory. I'm not sure if you need all those electrolysers, I'd need to test run it some more. Fairly sure they were needed though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmjvz8wv7a9yc ... 5.png?dl=0
Note, there's a fluid load balancer there, the only thing that vents is oxygen since it is the one that is excess after balancing, though instead of venting you could pump it elsewhere, or bottle it.
Pure water also has a balancer added, as it is a byproduct on the chain, twice, and feeds back to the electrolyser inputs.
I think my balancer was actually fairly simple... if the water tank holds less than 90%, pump pure water in. If Hydrogen tank is below 90%, pump water into the electrolysers. Nitrogen below 90%, pump air into the air splitter... Oxygen above 90%, vent it.

This demonstration only has green modules installed (The ones that reduce energy cost, and pollution generation) as to not effect speeds (and it seems like I missed an electrolyser), and uses all MK4 chemical plants and electrolysers, because the MK4 has the same speed.
I also have a Patreon.

kenvas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kenvas »

boblibrary mod and yuoki armor conflict.The appearance of its armor can not be displayed.
such as:
QQ截图20171108164107.png
QQ截图20171108164107.png (638.13 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
QQ截图20171108164150.png
QQ截图20171108164150.png (599.29 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
Disable boblibrry Later:
QQ截图20171108164452.png
QQ截图20171108164452.png (829.64 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
QQ截图20171108164544.png
QQ截图20171108164544.png (729.73 KiB) Viewed 7352 times
Can you see if it can fix this problem?
Thank you very much!!!!!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The library mod doesn't actually do anything by itself at all.... it cannot break any other mod by itself, unless they specifically call functions from my mod when it's enabled. In which case I would say that the mod that breaks is doing something wrong.

However, there are a lot of mods that require the library to be loaded to work, disabling the library might result in it working because it disables half your installed mods, and one of those is breaking things. A lot of people make use of my library too, not just my own mods.

With the information provided, I cannot help you.

Also, knowing how my own mods work, I can't see how any would break it, MAYBE warfare mod, but I doubt it.

Do me a favour, list all non-bob's mods that get disabled when you disable the library.

Better yet, manually disable them all and turn the library back on to see if the problem persists (it won't), then turn them all back on again one at a time until it breaks, and that's the mod causing the issue.

Note: Some mods might not REQUIRE the library, but make use of it if it is detected... in this case, if the graphics do break when you turn on the library, do the same with ALL mods, not just those that were disabled when you turned off the library.
I also have a Patreon.

kenvas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kenvas »

bobingabout wrote:The library mod doesn't actually do anything by itself at all.... it cannot break any other mod by itself, unless they specifically call functions from my mod when it's enabled. In which case I would say that the mod that breaks is doing something wrong.

However, there are a lot of mods that require the library to be loaded to work, disabling the library might result in it working because it disables half your installed mods, and one of those is breaking things. A lot of people make use of my library too, not just my own mods.

With the information provided, I cannot help you.

Also, knowing how my own mods work, I can't see how any would break it, MAYBE warfare mod, but I doubt it.

Do me a favour, list all non-bob's mods that get disabled when you disable the library.

Better yet, manually disable them all and turn the library back on to see if the problem persists (it won't), then turn them all back on again one at a time until it breaks, and that's the mod causing the issue.

Note: Some mods might not REQUIRE the library, but make use of it if it is detected... in this case, if the graphics do break when you turn on the library, do the same with ALL mods, not just those that were disabled when you turned off the library.

yes,I'm so sorry. I just deleted it library,Think it's the problem.Actually is “Darkstar_utilities_compat” This mod problem.It's used libray.
When I saw your passage, I went back and looked at all of the mod.
It turns out to be this:“Darkstar_utilities_compat”.
Thank you very much for your help.
Your mod is really great!!!

doppelEben
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doppelEben »

Since you have grad configurable inserters, which I really like to use, I have a question for your future work, or even more like 2 times 2 questions:

1 A: Is it possible in the factorio-engine to make a both-way-belt?
1 B: If true, is it possible that you could include such a belt?

usage: Before I usually make the whole world connected via trains, I use 2 belts which connect the main-base with the barrelpumps near the oil or the gas-spawns. If there could be a half a field wide belt, so if 1 whole field its both way, one could send the full barrels to the base on the right side; and on the left the empty barrels will return and so on. With only 1 belt. I read some weeks ago somewhere on reddit ( I believe ) about it, and I think I remember, that its not quite possible to easily realize such a belt because of some engine restrictions or something like that, and I'm to less into the modding involved that I would know/can approve. But I guess that was on an older version; maybe things changed? Can you bring some light into this topic?

2 A: Is it possible in the factorio-engine to make both-way-inserter?
2 B: If true, is it possible that you could include such a inserter?

usage: its like the oil-barrel-thing. I usually build some parts of the factory really really compact, so that every field counts. I see a use in assemblers or pumps or whatever-buildings, where the working part of the building is longer than one insert or extrude of the inserter. f.E. it could fill up some iron-plates, normal for like 2 units in the assembler, then as soon as the assembling machine is finished with a pipe, take the pipe out, and refill again with iron-plates. That could even be usefull if the both-way-belts woudnt be possible/work, i.E. load from/to crates and sort it afterwars. Or a case which came to my mind: the carbon-making process in angels could save some fields if there would be both-way-inserters.

Great would be, of course, if its not only the [X][X] options; more like the configurable-inserters but then both ways from | to > and < to | same time.
--

Besides the field-save-problem from me; is there a way with combinaters already to realise that? With 2 filters and/or without any?
Great would be, of course, if its not only the [X][X] options; more like the configurable-inserters but then both ways from | to > and < to | same time.

Thanks in advance

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Question 1... nope.

To define a belt, the following information is given: Name, health, Graphics, Speed, Minable properties, collision box, sound.
Things that are automatically assigned: item flow path.

If the item flow paths (there's actually two of them, one on each side of the belt) were configurable, you MIGHT be able to do this. Even if it was one way only, you could specify a single path, and make a half a tile belt instead, allowing you to place two side by side in the same tile... of use a script to do that automatically. You'd still need a left hand side, and right hand side half belt though (left side going up vs right side going up)

Either way... currently not possible.
Also, a line of belts internally is just 2 flow paths, belts are processed in blocks of several belt entities to reduce processing time.

Question 2... nope.

I can see the beauty in this one, but to keep the argument short... You can specify a pickup location and a drop location (that's what the game code calls them). To be able to do the reverse would need filters for forward, and reverse operation (in your example, set forward filter to iron plates, reverse filter to pipe)

Basically, why a 2 way inserter is a bad idea(to most people), is if you have a box next to a box with inserter between... with a single item, the inserter will pick it up from box 1, drop it in box 2, then immediately pick it back out of box 2, and place it back in box 1, repeat.

So long story short.. I can't do either of these suggestions. It's not that I don't want to, the game won't let me.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Question 1:

Can you do a half wide belt so 2 can be placed next to each other as you mention?

Question 2:

Inserters could accept a direction signal or even signals for pickup and drop position. But then you need LUA script that checks the signals every tick and re-configures the inserter on every change. Or you could re-configure the inserter every time it finishes moving an item one direction. Again as costly LUA script to. Performance problems means that you wouldn't want to have many of those inserters.

It could be nice to have the first one for LTN train stations. You wouldn't re-configure them often, only twice per train, so performance might not be too bad.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:Question 1:

Can you do a half wide belt so 2 can be placed next to each other as you mention?

Question 2:

Inserters could accept a direction signal or even signals for pickup and drop position. But then you need LUA script that checks the signals every tick and re-configures the inserter on every change. Or you could re-configure the inserter every time it finishes moving an item one direction. Again as costly LUA script to. Performance problems means that you wouldn't want to have many of those inserters.

It could be nice to have the first one for LTN train stations. You wouldn't re-configure them often, only twice per train, so performance might not be too bad.
The problem with half wide belts is that they still would have 2 lanes for items on them...
And I'm not going to do all that for inserters, because scripting.

I generally have a "no scripting" rule for my mods, Bob's inserters is an exception because it runs the script only when you press a button, so it shouldn't affect performance. There's no "on_tick" action.

There is an on_tick routine, but all that does it check to see if you've moved away from the inserter to close the GUI.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Hey Bob, thanks for the great mod pack! Really enjoying them here in 0.15.*

Question about the batteries you have for the game. I am about to start the lithium-ion and immediately after, the silver-zinc batteries. I am looking at the recipes and trying to lay out how the items go together in a "neat" way. The advanced (tier 2?) recipe for lead in the vanilla batteries allows me to make the exact amount of sulfur dioxide -> sulfuric acid to make the batteries. I am not seeing anything similar to either of the more advanced batteries and I am seeing a lot of by-product on top of that. Am I missing anything at this stage of the game that makes making these batteries simpler?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Since batteries require both lead and sulphuric acid, it is actually just a lucky co-incidence that I made the batteries cost exactly what the processing gives you.

Everything battery related in my mod is basically just built around real life processes. So, looking at it from that perspective, lead acid batteries are easier to produce than the other two types, which is why they're widely used. (though do sometimes lose favour to Li-on and sometimes even Nickel based batteries)

So no, I don't have a nice easy 1:1 layout for producing the batteries. (I myself basically just had factories producing the components all fed into the robot logistic network, basically just for testing purposes, I've not properly played the game in a long time.)
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

I totally understand that. As I was working through them this weekend, I noticed that the production times for the Lithium-Ion and the Silver-Zinc batteries are only 0.5 seconds and the Lead batteries are 5.0 seconds. The Lead batteries are much easier to make with fewer ingredients and producing said ingredients. But I was wondering if the production times were an oversight? The Lead batteries have the long production time from vanilla Factorio, and they are produced in chemical plants whereas I can produce the other two in Assembling Machines. Just curious if you planned it that way?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I run into a strange problem with the modified inserters and cut&paste.

Sometimes when I cut&paste the config from one inserter to a bunch of others then they don't start working, e.g. the warehouse is full but they don't load the train. I have to rotate them 360° and then they work.

Should the paste event maybe call something to restart the inserter if it's not running at the moment?

Salty Wagyu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Salty Wagyu »

What MK bots do you all use in personal roboports? I just got MK2 bots but I'm not sure if that made it worse, they seem to take longer to get back into my inventory, probably due to the poor charge rate of personal roboports. Would having more roboports help? i.e. Using enough roboports to support 100 bots, but having 50 in inventory?

Return to “Bob's mods”