[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Alice3173 »

orzelek wrote:Edit:
Quick test shows that cobaltite spawns if enabled. Please drop by RSO forums and post save/mods/mods config there and I'll take a look - it might be that some of settings you changed caused some bug to appear.
I'm not certain but it may indeed be an issue with Bob's Mods. I decided to have a look at my mod settings and this is apparently what I've got:
Interestingly I do have a lot of those on my map. Bauxite, gems, gold, lead, nickel, quartz, rutile, silver, tin, tungsten, and zinc all show up. Cobalt and thorium don't though. Not sure what water ores are and it doesn't seem to have a tooltip so I can't say whether that shows up.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bobplates (Metals chemicals and intermediates) does add an override for certain ores (Pretty much the ones you listed) as they are required for the mod to be functional. The other ores (Cobalt, Thorium and Sulfur) will be left disabled.
Water ores will be turned on unless you turn on the water bore recipes option in bobplates.
Also, the override is an option, look in the MCI section further down the settings and there will be an "Enable ore overrides" option or something similarly named, and that is what is turning on the ores you have currently active.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

bobingabout wrote:bobplates (Metals chemicals and intermediates) does add an override for certain ores (Pretty much the ones you listed) as they are required for the mod to be functional. The other ores (Cobalt, Thorium and Sulfur) will be left disabled.
Water ores will be turned on unless you turn on the water bore recipes option in bobplates.
Also, the override is an option, look in the MCI section further down the settings and there will be an "Enable ore overrides" option or something similarly named, and that is what is turning on the ores you have currently active.
Ah, that'd probably explain it then. Sorry for wasting your time!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Alice3173 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:bobplates (Metals chemicals and intermediates) does add an override for certain ores (Pretty much the ones you listed) as they are required for the mod to be functional. The other ores (Cobalt, Thorium and Sulfur) will be left disabled.
Ah, that'd probably explain it then. Sorry for wasting your time!
Not really a waste, I'm here to help if anyone has any questions.
I also have a Patreon.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi bob, i played your bobs mods with arumbas bob and angels pack in 0.14 and it was fun ;)

i recently got 0.15 and starting getting some errors about some mods needing bobplates, but it took me a fair amount of time to find, and realise that bobs plates is now called Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates :)

if you get a chance it might help others if the original bobsplates link (on the modportal) was able to be updated a bit to make it mention something along the lines of being originally called "bobs plates"? :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

btw i was updating some mods and went to launch factorio 0.15
and got a popup message where it wanted me to disable bobswarfare with another mod.

please find a screenshot here for you with some more info and i put the exact filenames of the mods in white area text in case it helps
(my limited modding info, could not find anything missing for that sound but am not sure why it flagged bobswarfare as needing to be disabled?)

it not urgent or anything, as i will disable the terran building in order to play all the bobs mods, but just to mention here in case you happen to know a fix?
Attachments
bobwarfare-terranbuildings.png
bobwarfare-terranbuildings.png (28.47 KiB) Viewed 7913 times
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

DarkMatterMatt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DarkMatterMatt »

Are there mod descriptions anywhere? https://mods.factorio.com/top Seems to be primarily Bob's Mods (congratulations on making such popular mods) but the descriptions are somewhat lacking. For example, the Bob's Plates mod (also known as Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates) has a descriptions that says:
Requires library
Adds lots of things.
Does anyone even read this? I noticed it doesn't apear in game.
To a newcomer to the Factorio modding scene, this isn't very helpful :P What plates, metals and chemicals does it add? The "homepage" links to the Bob's mods forum, not to a description of Bob's plates.

Thanks,
DMM

EDIT: an example of a good description is for Bottleneck

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I used to write big descriptions of exactly what each mod added, but that started getting too big.

unfortunately most of the mod descriptions you see of my mods right now are "They've just added a mod portal, and I need to upload everything ASAP while battling the time out errors, which requires you to write everything again when it times out, and it doesn't seem to appear anywhere except on the mod portal, so since most people will only see it from within the game, what's the point in trying?"

You're right though. I really should make the time to go through and update all the descriptions on the mod portal. And on the forum for that matter. Look at the 0.12 download announcement vs the ones that came after.
I also have a Patreon.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

btw sorry bob i didnt mean to start anything - your mods have given me lots of hours of fun (and a bit of a flat backside LOL) :D

just thinking about it, maybe the easiest thing will simply be to just change 1 link for each mod you have on the modportal,
that way you only have 1 link for more info, and the info would be on the forum page, but the link actually would go to the Forum page for that 'particular mod',
rather than the generic Bobs Forum section (51) that i think it uses currently.

this is just because the bobs section had tons of pages, and each mod page, doesnt seem to be a sticky post at the top, and it is hard to find some pages. (a search on the forum's top right feature, for bobs plates finds tons of mixed pages) :)

worthstream
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by worthstream »

How do you use thorium ore?

I'm playing with dangOreus, so i'm foced to mine all of the available ores at once, but i still didn't find an use for thorium. Since there's no uranium in sight, i guess it's some kind ofnuclear related ore?
I did try poking around in the sandbox, but still have no clue!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

worthstream wrote:How do you use thorium ore?

I'm playing with dangOreus, so i'm foced to mine all of the available ores at once, but i still didn't find an use for thorium. Since there's no uranium in sight, i guess it's some kind ofnuclear related ore?
You don't. Ore is disabled by default and you need to force it to appear.
And there are no uses for it as of now in bobs mods. So if mod that forces you to mine it doesn't add use for it then you will need to dispose of it.

worthstream
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by worthstream »

orzelek wrote:
worthstream wrote:How do you use thorium ore?

You don't. Ore is disabled by default and you need to force it to appear.
And there are no uses for it as of now in bobs mods. So if mod that forces you to mine it doesn't add use for it then you will need to dispose of it.
Ok, thanks. Wrote a little mod to give me a recipe converting two thorium ores to one uranium ore. Problem solved! :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, sorry about any confusion, Thorium was one suggestion for an ore, and I made it because I was writing new functions to the library, and needed an ore that used them, thorium was my test case.

I haven't gotten around to trying to actually make a use for it yet, though have seen some good ideas.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Productivity modules on pumps

Post by mrvn »

Using beacons one can apply productivity modules on pumps. I think that is kind of broken since you can fill a barrel with oil and empty a barrel of oil and you get more barrels and oil out of it than you put in. I don't mind the oil so much. But what to do with all the barrels?

orost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by orost »

Small balance feedback: when playing with Angel's, the "enriched fuel block" recipe from bobplates is very OP. It provides 100MJ worth of fuel at the cost of 30 fuel oil, which is way out of line from solid fuel recipes in Angel's which give fuel oil an energy value of 1 MJ per unit and are also more complicated to implement, requiring coke. Powering your factory with boilers running on enriched fuel is insanely efficient.

(Apologies if this is the wrong tree to bark at, but I'm not sure how mods interact with each other - I grepped through mine and saw references to the item only in bobplates so I'm posting here)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

orost wrote:Small balance feedback: when playing with Angel's, the "enriched fuel block" recipe from bobplates is very OP. It provides 100MJ worth of fuel at the cost of 30 fuel oil, which is way out of line from solid fuel recipes in Angel's which give fuel oil an energy value of 1 MJ per unit and are also more complicated to implement, requiring coke. Powering your factory with boilers running on enriched fuel is insanely efficient.

(Apologies if this is the wrong tree to bark at, but I'm not sure how mods interact with each other - I grepped through mine and saw references to the item only in bobplates so I'm posting here)
Is that an "every liquid was multiplied by 10" problem?

orost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by orost »

I don't think so, because it's off by a factor of about 3. The current value and 10x more are both about as badly off, just in opposite directions.

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Productivity modules on pumps

Post by Alice3173 »

mrvn wrote:Using beacons one can apply productivity modules on pumps. I think that is kind of broken since you can fill a barrel with oil and empty a barrel of oil and you get more barrels and oil out of it than you put in. I don't mind the oil so much. But what to do with all the barrels?
I'm pretty sure there's an option in the mod configuration to disable transmission of productivity.

delciotto
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by delciotto »

I'm having a issue with my save suddenly not recognizing i have inserter length researched. When i try to put a blueprint down it does this.

There any ways to fix this?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

hmmm, the mod shouldn't be intercepting blueprint placements at all, what it says in the blueprint should be what gets placed...
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”