[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

Diedel wrote:
bobingabout wrote:That would do it. I'm such an idiot.
So, if I add a line to change the ingredient count from 3 to 4, it should work.
I changed it in the original definition of the rocket-silo, that worked fine.

I am just not sure i like the new addition, not sure why the rocket would need it, as it never come back.
how does the science come back then?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
Diedel wrote:

I am just not sure i like the new addition, not sure why the rocket would need it, as it never come back.
Space drop :P

Honestly, I think the rocket needs even one more ingredient. CMH had it pretty right, rocket engines!!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

that would probably work actually, even using similar materials.

I did think engines, but the main reason I didn't want to use it is because I already use rocket engines for the new rocket launcher ammo in my warfare mod, and didn't want the two to be confused.

Perhaps I should just drop the heat shield tile and use that straight up?

what do you think of the changes to the other recipes? Like the control units, satellite and low density structure. Even the tech tree as a whole?
I also have a Patreon.

Diedel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Diedel »

bobingabout wrote:
Diedel wrote:

That is valuable sensor data ;)

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote: Try running an update script in game
open the console and paste the following to see if it helps.

Code: Select all

/c for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do force.reset_recipes() force.reset_technologies() end
I updated the mod files first and then turned on pure water.

The above script worked. Although I do not see the distillery anywhere in my build menus.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:

/c for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do force.reset_recipes() force.reset_technologies() end

The above script worked. Although I do not see the distillery anywhere in my build menus.
it's all in migration script named bobplates_0.15.9.lua
the problem is that it's only run once on mod install, so changing options after a load/save doesn't re-run the script.

Although there are event triggers for when a user changes runtime options to write a script to handle that, there doesn't appear to be one for startup options.

The full command to fix it all would be

/c for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do force.reset_recipes() force.reset_technologies() if force.recipes["bob-distillery"] and force.technologies["electrolysis-1"].researched then force.recipes["bob-distillery"].enabled = true end end
yes it should be all one line, it's a bit long.
I also have a Patreon.

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mobius1 »

Tried doing the code below to replace the rocket-silo input count to 4 instead of 3 without using angel's functions to override the item so it would still be compatible with vanilla for those that doesn't play with angel's + Bob's pack, but it throws a GUI error where I have no clue why:

local silo = table.deepcopy(data.raw["rocket-silo"])
local silooverride = {
  ingredient_count = 4
}
for k,v in pairs(silooverride) do
  silo[k]=v
end
table.insert(data.raw, silooverride)
It should be as simple as copying the item table definition, applying the desired changes, override the new item into the old item but its not working... Ideas?

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
Recon777 wrote:

it's all in migration script named bobplates_0.15.9.lua
the problem is that it's only run once on mod install, so changing options after a load/save doesn't re-run the script.

Although there are event triggers for when a user changes runtime options to write a script to handle that, there doesn't appear to be one for startup options.

The full command to fix it all would be

/c for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do force.reset_recipes() force.reset_technologies() if force.recipes["bob-distillery"] and force.technologies["electrolysis-1"].researched then force.recipes["bob-distillery"].enabled = true end end
yes it should be all one line, it's a bit long.
Another option might be loading a save before the mod update but where the option is already activated.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Suggestion, change the plastic in low density structures for nitinol.... After all, its a metal that when heated, recovers his initial form... :P

LightningDragon10065
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LightningDragon10065 »

Hi! Love your mods, glad to see you brought back the liquid fuel cans.

I wonder one thing, though:
The way you have it set up, Plates basically requires every ore to be enabled; I get the impression that's why you have the override in Plates to force all the ores to be enabled.
However, you added the option to turn off the override, which then means you can turn off the ores.
The kicker? The plates using those ores are still defined, though they become unobtainable (natch, because the ore no longer generates). Other components which use those plates still use them, even though they can no longer be obtained, meaning other components lose functionality if Plates is present and not all of the ores are enabled (Modules, for instance).

So, I guess this is a suggestion, then: Either make it so the plates check whether the ore is enabled, and only enable the plates (and everything using them) if the respective ore is also enabled (i.e, if [ore-enabled] then [plate-enabled], and if all components then [alloy-enabled]), or remove the option to turn off the override (to basically tell the user "This mod needs all of these things, so they're turned on regardless of other settings".).

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Bob, is there still a need for all the different pipe widths? Even now, I'm still having trouble understanding their purpose. And by width, I mean "size" or capacity per segment. Are the 20x (like stone pipes) even needed?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Recon777 wrote:Bob, is there still a need for all the different pipe widths? Even now, I'm still having trouble understanding their purpose. And by width, I mean "size" or capacity per segment. Are the 20x (like stone pipes) even needed?
I want to add to this question a bit.

When I started playing for the first time, I remember reading that smaller size pipes moved fluid faster since it stored less liquid in a single pipe, thus it moved to other connected pipes more rapidly. Then at one point a mod developer said that since all fluids move at the same speed, the size of pipes is completely irrelevant outside of being a buffer of sorts.

Which is these statements is actually true? If it's the former, then I can understand the different size pipes. If it's the latter, then Recon's question of "why do we have them?" is something I'd like to know as well.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

LightningDragon10065 wrote:Hi! Love your mods, glad to see you brought back the liquid fuel cans.

I wonder one thing, though:
The way you have it set up, Plates basically requires every ore to be enabled; I get the impression that's why you have the override in Plates to force all the ores to be enabled.
However, you added the option to turn off the override, which then means you can turn off the ores.
The kicker? The plates using those ores are still defined, though they become unobtainable (natch, because the ore no longer generates). Other components which use those plates still use them, even though they can no longer be obtained, meaning other components lose functionality if Plates is present and not all of the ores are enabled (Modules, for instance).

So, I guess this is a suggestion, then: Either make it so the plates check whether the ore is enabled, and only enable the plates (and everything using them) if the respective ore is also enabled (i.e, if [ore-enabled] then [plate-enabled], and if all components then [alloy-enabled]), or remove the option to turn off the override (to basically tell the user "This mod needs all of these things, so they're turned on regardless of other settings".).
Someone asked for the opton to disable ore overrides, so I added the option, because it was easy.

your sugestion would be A LOT of work.
Recon777 wrote:Bob, is there still a need for all the different pipe widths? Even now, I'm still having trouble understanding their purpose. And by width, I mean "size" or capacity per segment. Are the 20x (like stone pipes) even needed?
I guess they're not really needed, I could make them all the same size, but then that removes their uniqueness.
Light wrote:
I want to add to this question a bit.

When I started playing for the first time, I remember reading that smaller size pipes moved fluid faster since it stored less liquid in a single pipe, thus it moved to other connected pipes more rapidly. Then at one point a mod developer said that since all fluids move at the same speed, the size of pipes is completely irrelevant outside of being a buffer of sorts.

Which is these statements is actually true? If it's the former, then I can understand the different size pipes. If it's the latter, then Recon's question of "why do we have them?" is something I'd like to know as well.
Well, some of the thicker fluids like tungstic acid (And I think crude oil and heavy oil have an override to make them thick) do benefit from the narrower pipes, like copper, but I undid the change to make pipes thinner, due to the whole "unstable simulation" condition. unfortunately using thin pipes for normal fluid still gives an unstable simulation, so I'm not sure what I should do about it.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Pipes actually move faster or slower depending the situation.

The way fluids propagate is based on pressure differential between two adjacent pipes (or more correctly fluid containers). Pressure on the container is calculated by dividing the amount of fluid over the capacity of the container. So, a small pipe like copper reaches a high pressure much faster and is able to move the fluid faster through the pipe and further since they can easily achieve high pressure with less fluid and keep propagating!

Wider pipes might seem bad when reading this but they also have a use. For very short distances, they actually deliver the best throughput since they can hold more. Like dumping the content of a tank with a pump, into another tank 2-3 blocks away, since the pipe is always pressurized by the pump and they hold more, they move more fluid.

I normally use stone pipes until I start to make huge pipe contraceptions and/or needing high performance from them. Then I just switch to bronze coz I like how they look or copper if I dont have bronze yet.

Also, keep in mind that underground pipes count as 2 pipe sections, so... for long distances even the best tier of pipe should not be immediately discarded. It can have a bigger capacity, hurting the propagation but it also has a huge underground distance, allowing more tiles to be covered by only 2 'virtual pipe sections'

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:I could make them all the same size, but then that removes their uniqueness.
Well, there's what, TEN types of pipe? Three tiers of each width, plus the boss pipe, Tungsten. Or something like that. Do we need ten?

I do like the idea of the tiers. Advanced materials able to go further underground is cool. But I have a better use for these "unique" pipes if you can pull it off.

How about making them all 10 wide (like iron) but make it so that different pipe materials of the same tier do not connect with one another. This relieves some frustration that comes with tight builds and trying to route pipes next to one another without them merging together. That way, you could make copper, iron, and stone pipes from the start and they'd all have a use. But make them the same width (10) so people aren't confused about what is the most appropriate width or whatever.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Recon777 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I could make them all the same size, but then that removes their uniqueness.
Well, there's what, TEN types of pipe? Three tiers of each width, plus the boss pipe, Tungsten. Or something like that. Do we need ten?

I do like the idea of the tiers. Advanced materials able to go further underground is cool. But I have a better use for these "unique" pipes if you can pull it off.

How about making them all 10 wide (like iron) but make it so that different pipe materials of the same tier do not connect with one another. This relieves some frustration that comes with tight builds and trying to route pipes next to one another without them merging together. That way, you could make copper, iron, and stone pipes from the start and they'd all have a use. But make them the same width (10) so people aren't confused about what is the most appropriate width or whatever.
You already have Flow control and Flow control for bobs that does exactly that...
What I would love, and I think its not possible, is the underground pipes behaving like underground belts and supporting weaving:P

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

currently rocket fuel from Bob's revamp is available from the start of the game.
Not sure if that's correct.

QuackerJ4ck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by QuackerJ4ck »

Are all Tiers of Power Poles gone? I just get the vanilla ones.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:

can't really do that with the normal pipe definition, as that's auto connecting 4 ways pipe.
TheSAguy wrote:currently rocket fuel from Bob's revamp is available from the start of the game.
Not sure if that's correct.
I'll take a look at this one, I may have left the enabled=true flag on there from when I was testing...
I also see the rocket control modules on that list.
QuackerJ4ck wrote:Are all Tiers of Power Poles gone? I just get the vanilla ones.
No, they should still be there in the power mod.
I also have a Patreon.

Crixomix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Crixomix »

As far as pipes go, I do find the sheer variety of pipes in Bob's to be too much. Though I will admit that I have zero understanding of when 5, 10, or 20 size is better (maybe someone could explain it better) I still don't get how in the world size 5 would make things have a higher throughput. I get that it could flow "faster", but in terms of throughput, shouldn't size 20 always win? Also what in the world is this discussion of thickness??

Idk. I'd vote to pare down the number of pipes.

Return to “Bob's mods”