[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Termak »

orzelek wrote:Any chance for mark 2/3 cars? There are 3 marks of tanks with increasing grid size but no cars.

Edit:
Also whole hydrazine chain is not accepting productivity currently. I think some of the intermediate steps could be whitelisted.
Dude you are getting fuel from air and water, what else you want ? :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:I have a suggestion regarding salt. Could you make it so that the product buffer in the chemical furnace only makes 10 or so salt? I find it produces so incredibly fast and ends up building up stacks of excess if you ever take the machines down and relocate them. We don't need 100 salt inside the machine.

Unless there's a better way of getting rid of excess I'm not aware of?
I don't even know if that is possible in a mod. as far as I know such things are based on stack size.

And... there's not really any reason to get rid of salt, it's a very limited use-case item. I simply have my salt water electrolysis take directly from the salt production.

and the issue of why it builds up such a huge number is a base game bug, basically the same as when you make sulfur from petroleum gas, it will just keep making more until the output box is a whole stack.
Recon777 wrote:Minor balance question.

Why is there a recipe for making 100x hydrogen from 10x LPG plus water in 2.5 seconds?
At first, I thought this might be cool for making solid fuel rather than using electrolysis, but looking closer, you get 50x hydrogen in 2.5 seconds from pure water and you don't have to burn up 10x LPG.

For comparison, with coal liquefaction, you burn 10x coal to get 10x heavy oil, 15x light oil, and 20x LPG. Cracking the oil, that gives you 35x LPG from 10x coal.
The hydrogen recipe calls for 10x LPG, which is equivalent to 2.86x coal, which you end up burning to convert one coal to solid fuel.
Keeping in mind that solid fuel is 3.125x as rich as coal, you're still burning 3.86x coal (not including energy costs) to get 3.125x increase in value by turning 1x coal into 1x solid fuel via hydrogen obtained with coal liquefaction.

Definitely not worth the recipe. I suggest changing it to something more balanced with the rest of the mod. Something like maybe 2x LPG for 100x hydrogen.
That's more of a thing as a means to get rid of excess petroleum gas now that it isn't really needed for sulfuric acid anymore. It's only real use is plastic. I believe the amount of hydrogen you get from the gas was calculated based on how many fuel blocks you can make from light oil, and hydrogen (back when you could make hydrogen directly from fuel blocks)
orzelek wrote:Any chance for mark 2/3 cars? There are 3 marks of tanks with increasing grid size but no cars.

Edit:
Also whole hydrazine chain is not accepting productivity currently. I think some of the intermediate steps could be whitelisted.
I didn't make higher tier cars because at the time I saw a tank as car MK2. However, I have been considering other vehicles to add in after the car (not a car MK2, but another car type vehicle)
Hydrazine and other chemicals are things I could look at adding to the productivity limitations whitelist.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

Shift+N & Shift +L doesn't seem to work with inserters anymore? Shift+E and Shift+R works though.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Suggestion:
Could you make it so that the "reinforced concrete walls" block spitter projectiles? Currently, I don't see much of a need to build these because they are rather expensive steel-wise. Regular walls do the job. So if the reinforced walls were "taller" somehow, or whatever stat might make them block spitters, then that would make them worth building. If the cost needs to be increased for such a balance, then so be it. Would be very cool! Especially since regular walls would remain unchanged. Not sure if this is possible, but I think you should try. I saw a mod on the portal which does something similar.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... k-spitters

Regarding hydrogen from petroleum gas... lol well PLASTIC is a pretty good use for the stuff if you've got too much. Either way, you definitely get a significant loss of energy when converting it to hydrogen.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

For the extra cars, something like the aai flame rumbler would be nice, maybe not as strong in ramming but i like the speed , turning on post stamp and ability to run through trees. Its just bit too fast and dangerous to drive near your own power poles and such since it instadestroys everything it hits almost.

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

Found a problem with MK4 boilers, you cant build them over lower tiers(MK3 tested).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

peterf83 wrote:Shift+N & Shift +L doesn't seem to work with inserters anymore? Shift+E and Shift+R works though.
Works fine for me.
Do keep in mind though that Shift +L only works if you have long inserters technology researched, and extends the range if long inserters 2 is researched. Shift +R only gives 90 degree steps if no research, if you have more inserters researched it gives diagonals, and if you have more 2 researched it gives even more positions when using a long inserter, and Shift +N only works if you have Near inserters researched(Toggles near far placement of a belt), or Long inserters researched(toggles output range like Shift +L toggles input range) (Both researches will cycle through near, far, Next tile's near, far, etc), and long inserters 2 research increases the range further.
Recon777 wrote:Suggestion:
Could you make it so that the "reinforced concrete walls" block spitter projectiles? Currently, I don't see much of a need to build these because they are rather expensive steel-wise. Regular walls do the job. So if the reinforced walls were "taller" somehow, or whatever stat might make them block spitters, then that would make them worth building. If the cost needs to be increased for such a balance, then so be it. Would be very cool! Especially since regular walls would remain unchanged. Not sure if this is possible, but I think you should try. I saw a mod on the portal which does something similar.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... k-spitters
That mod doesn't do anything to the wall at all, it changes the projectile to have a hit box, so would be blocked by ANY entity, not just a specific type of wall.
crysanja wrote:Found a problem with MK4 boilers, you cant build them over lower tiers(MK3 tested).
you are correct. Will fix.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Found a minor graphics bug - your new inserters don't have high res eye candy.
Might need to redo the sheets for them?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:Found a minor graphics bug - your new inserters don't have high res eye candy.
Might need to redo the sheets for them?
It's not really a bug, it's a lack of an update, and already on my todo list. Though there's quite a few things out there that havn't been updated to use a high-res alternative either.

fun fact: my chemical plants make use of the new chemical plant graphics, including high res, but the remap overlay is still the old one, low res only.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:That mod doesn't do anything to the wall at all, it changes the projectile to have a hit box, so would be blocked by ANY entity, not just a specific type of wall.
Oh. Well that sucks. I was wondering how that was achieved, especially since the mod description says that trees don't block them. Figured they found a way to specify what blocks and what doesn't. I don't suppose the engine supports this?

QuackerJ4ck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by QuackerJ4ck »

Heat Shielding Tiles are shown in intermediate products but can't be produced with production bonus books/modules in the assembler

Error: Productivty modules are only usable on intermediate products.

IamI
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IamI »

The official seems is planning to update their Graphics resources such as ores and inserters. Do you have plan to follow?
That seems to be a hark work

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Bur report: I don't know whether it's Bob's or Angel's mods, but for some reason "rocket silo" isn't researchable despite all of the prereq techs showing that they're researched...?

microbat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by microbat »

bobingabout wrote:
microbat wrote:Hey Bob how long do you think the second pass will take to finish? And then what is the plan after that?
It already is finished.
Plans for the future... right now, there aren't really any. It's nice to be able to breath again. I guess the current plan is to watch out for mod breaking base game changes, like the recent inserters change, and fix those as they pop up.
Wow nice you have done a lot! Do you ever think about changing anything else like the combat? I would really like it to work more like a tower defense game where you have to build lots of walls to shape their path and then have multiple towers to defend with.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

microbat wrote: Do you ever think about changing anything else like the combat? I would really like it to work more like a tower defense game where you have to build lots of walls to shape their path and then have multiple towers to defend with.
I've found that by adding the mod "Rampant" that it goes a long ways toward this! Rampant is quite a challenge. I recommend you check it out.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Veden/Rampant

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

QuackerJ4ck wrote:Heat Shielding Tiles are shown in intermediate products but can't be produced with production bonus books/modules in the assembler

Error: Productivty modules are only usable on intermediate products.
I haven't added any of the new items to productivity limitations list yet. I have made a note to look into it.
IamI wrote:The official seems is planning to update their Graphics resources such as ores and inserters. Do you have plan to follow?
That seems to be a hark work
I have plans to look into it as they pop up. Resources (Ores etc) have already been done, and inserters is on the list.
NewSwiss wrote:Bur report: I don't know whether it's Bob's or Angel's mods, but for some reason "rocket silo" isn't researchable despite all of the prereq techs showing that they're researched...?
It's hard to put blame on one specific mod. Long story short, Angels mod is breaking it. what actually happened is that I made a change to my mod that I have planned to do for a while, add bob's stuff to rocket construction. however, Angels mod already does that sort of stuff, so, my change broke the mod. However, it isn't my mod causing the issue, it's the way Angel's mod overrides stuff from my mod causing the issue, however since his mod over-rides mine, the only fix I can do is undo my addition to endgame(which makes my mod go backwards), so it's up to angel to modify his mod not to break the game while mine is installed.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

I ran a pass after you added the rocket components from your advanced materials, so that should happen. It's probably more an issue with migration when we both update stuff and its used in existing save games. I'll have a look into it, might help if I had the save game and mods to see what is happening there.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Arch666Angel wrote:I ran a pass after you added the rocket components from your advanced materials, so that should happen. It's probably more an issue with migration when we both update stuff and its used in existing save games. I'll have a look into it, might help if I had the save game and mods to see what is happening there.
I don't mean to put blame on you, or just pass things off to you. It's just hard to make things work by editing my mods when yours overwrites things from mine.
I also have a Patreon.

Corvenus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Corvenus »

Is there an easy way to find out what recepies have been modified by selecting the expensive/ marathon option within the GUI or would I have to go through each one and compare them to the normal version to see if its been changed?

I've seen the list of things changed within Vanilla marathon mode and was hoping to find a similar list for Bob marathon

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Short of going through the list and checking each recipe in code, I don't know.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”