[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Recon777 »

Oh speaking of lithia water, there's a setting in the options called "enable water ores". Is this for water spots or lithia water spots or both? Since these are for entirely different purposes, wouldn't it be best to have separate settings for them? Personally, I definitely don't need the regular water spots. I don't see any point in pulling water from the lithia water sites. Maybe I'm not understanding their intended use? Additionally, I noticed that the water pumpjack tech is super early-game though again... why?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:Oh speaking of lithia water, there's a setting in the options called "enable water ores". Is this for water spots or lithia water spots or both? Since these are for entirely different purposes, wouldn't it be best to have separate settings for them? Personally, I definitely don't need the regular water spots. I don't see any point in pulling water from the lithia water sites. Maybe I'm not understanding their intended use? Additionally, I noticed that the water pumpjack tech is super early-game though again... why?
Both.
And if you turn on the new Pure water option, you need the pure water for electrolysis, and ground water will give that instead of normal water. Electrolysis is red science level.

Please try out the pure water option, I left it turned off by default only because I need people to test it before sort of forcing it on people.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Judqment8
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Judqment8 »

bobingabout wrote:
Judqment8 wrote:How are you supposed to mine Lithia Water? I have a Water Pumpjack on them, but nothing comes out.
That is how you're supposed to mine it.
Make sure you have the latest version, the initial release was broken.

If that still doesn't work, try a normal pumpjack.
EDIT: Solved, it was the Quarry mod conflicting the ore patches.
Last edited by Judqment8 on Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Judqment8 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
Judqment8 wrote:How are you supposed to mine Lithia Water? I have a Water Pumpjack on them, but nothing comes out.
That is how you're supposed to mine it.
Make sure you have the latest version, the initial release was broken.

If that still doesn't work, try a normal pumpjack.
I have the latest version and this is my setup. Is the stone supposed to come off as a by-product?
Free stone, I like it :P

Judqment8
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Judqment8 »

Geez, sorry just figured it out. It was the Quarry mod that was messing with the ore/Lithia water spawns. It has an option for "stone as by-product". No wonder it jammed the waterpumpjacks :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

That might work if there was an item output on the fluid mining entities.

Which makes me wonder if there can be an all in one mining entity, pumpjack and mining drill in one, along with the fluid inputs for mining where a fluid is required.
I also have a Patreon.

Originallogin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Originallogin »

4 lvl turret does not require a military research package
Attachments
20170515191608_1.jpg
20170515191608_1.jpg (333.47 KiB) Viewed 7031 times

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:That might work if there was an item output on the fluid mining entities.

Which makes me wonder if there can be an all in one mining entity, pumpjack and mining drill in one, along with the fluid inputs for mining where a fluid is required.
I can see angels mining drills mining infinite ores requiring acid and returning waste water..... That could help on the fluorite negative net!!!

Summoning Angel

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote: And if you turn on the new Pure water option, you need the pure water for electrolysis, and ground water will give that instead of normal water. Electrolysis is red science level.

Please try out the pure water option, I left it turned off by default only because I need people to test it before sort of forcing it on people.
Whoa, that's a pretty serious change. If you DO force this on people, please make sure that the RSO guy knows that pure water spots NEED to be in the starting area. As it is now, often you have to travel a pretty fair distance to find them.

I'm 3.5 hours into my new map using Death World settings with no expansion and Rampant AI, testing that out... It's quite a challenge, and I can say for certain that it's gonna be a while before I am able to push beyond my starting area.
However, I am just now switching to solid fuel for my steam boilers rather than coal, and that requires this kind of thing:

I've been pulling it right out of the lake sitting next to my main steam power setup.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:
bobingabout wrote: And if you turn on the new Pure water option, you need the pure water for electrolysis, and ground water will give that instead of normal water. Electrolysis is red science level.

Whoa, that's a pretty serious change. If you DO force this on people, please make sure that the RSO guy knows that pure water spots NEED to be in the starting area. As it is now, often you have to travel a pretty fair distance to find them.

I'm 3.5 hours into my new map using Death World settings with no expansion and Rampant AI, testing that out... It's quite a challenge, and I can say for certain that it's gonna be a while before I am able to push beyond my starting area.
However, I am just now switching to solid fuel for my steam boilers rather than coal, and that requires this kind of thing:

I've been pulling it right out of the lake sitting next to my main steam power setup.
to be fair you don't NEED ground water to get pure water.
You can condense steam in an assembly plant (MK2+), though I'm not sure that's the best building to do it in.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Ahh well that's good.

Yeah some buildings just don't seem like the right one for the job. Like... why is a silicon plate/rod made in the electrolyser?
But yes, good... as long as you can get it going in the starting area, that's fine. I like to switch up to solid fuel as soon as I'm able for steam power, and it's worth noting that even though the solid fuel blocks (from one coal each) have considerably more energy per unit, that a good chunk of that energy increase goes into the electrolysis and solid fuel production itself. It's a decent step up, worth the complexity, but not too cheaty.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

Maybe a distillation building would be a good idea for the pure water? That way people could choose between using ground water and using normal water with distillation (maybe with salt as a byproduct) if there's not much easily-accessible ground water.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:Ahh well that's good.

Yeah some buildings just don't seem like the right one for the job. Like... why is a silicon plate/rod made in the electrolyser?
But yes, good... as long as you can get it going in the starting area, that's fine. I like to switch up to solid fuel as soon as I'm able for steam power, and it's worth noting that even though the solid fuel blocks (from one coal each) have considerably more energy per unit, that a good chunk of that energy increase goes into the electrolysis and solid fuel production itself. It's a decent step up, worth the complexity, but not too cheaty.
If it ends up costing too much to make the fuel blocks with the new system, let me know.

Also, Silicon is made in the electrolyser, because Silicon is made via electrolysis. Aluminium too. And although many metals (including gold) can be smelted to 99%+ Purity, in many cases there is an electrolysis method that can produce 99.9%+ Purity.

When you consider that silicon is likely going to be used to make electronics, that 99.9%+ Purity becomes important.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I've been tinkering, and playing, so no real updates tonight, however, one advantage to testing tinkerings in the game is that I noticed the east/west graphics on my chemical plants were backwards, so I released an update for the assembly mod which fixes that.
I also have a Patreon.

masterzh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by masterzh »

Apologize if this was answered anywhere...
i am playing a "Farlands" modpack and would like to change a stack size of bobs ores
Using "bobores_0.14.0" i can see ores like "\prototypes\zinc-ore.lua" however without any stack-size defined... stuff like copper/iron/stone/coal i found in data.lua. I checked also other bobs related mods without any luck.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

masterzh wrote:Apologize if this was answered anywhere...
i am playing a "Farlands" modpack and would like to change a stack size of bobs ores
Using "bobores_0.14.0" i can see ores like "\prototypes\zinc-ore.lua" however without any stack-size defined... stuff like copper/iron/stone/coal i found in data.lua. I checked also other bobs related mods without any luck.
This is the 0.15 topic, there is a 0.14 topic about.

Anyway.... The other ore items are auto-generated, along with the ores themselves within the library mod, file ore-functions.lua, under the function name bobmods.lib.resource.create_item.
according to the function, it does take a stack_size variable, so you can add this into the item section of an ore table.

Look at lead ore in my ores mod, it lists a stack size. (for absolutely no reason other than to be an example/test)
I also have a Patreon.

clampi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by clampi »

Hello Bob,

Here are some things you may consider tweaking:
  • Electrolyser recipe. Build time for Mk1 is 5s while the others are built in 10s. Maybe make all the recipes in line with the chemical plant? Also, Electrolyser Mk1 and Mk2 have both stone pipe in their recipe, based on the progression maybe steel pipe is more appropriate?
  • Ferric chloride recipe takes only Hydrogen Chloride (the gas) and ore (presumably hematite) as input. Usually the Hydrogen Chloride is used in a aqueous solution, as Hydrochloric Acid, thus maybe the recipe should take another input of water?
  • Modules recipes. Usage of module contacts is not quite consistent. While most of modules do have the contacts as ingredients, there are some that don't, tier 3 ones. Not sure what is so special about them, it might be an oversight.
  • The added recipes for refining oil. As you pointed out, the sulfur is an unwanted component in the crude oil, one that must be cleaned from the input in order to not corrupt the refining process with unwanted impurities. So, I would think that sulfur should always be an output of refining, on top of the existing 3 recipes (basic refining, advanced refining, crude refining). Or, maybe, add an additional step, say sulfur separation, which has as output sulfur and the refinery ingredient. I personally don't find a use for the recipes that replace one of the 3 refined products with SO2, one would never want that, as it would impact negatively the production of petroleum gas, thus affect the plastic chain.
    There is also the logistic challenge of the amount of sulfur one gets from "Oil processing with Sulfur" recipe. I found out that I need multiple inserters to be able to extract the large amount of sulfur from refinery, an not to clog the production. Overall, using most of the features in bobplates and bobelectronics, one swims in sulfur. I usually end-up with millions of it, while I still need to have a dedicated Sodium Hydroxide production, to cover what is needed for aluminium and Silver-Zinc batteries. Apart from explosives, there isn't much use of sulfur and sulfuric acid, there is a limit of how many IC's and CPU's one needs, not to mention basic batteries.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:If it ends up costing too much to make the fuel blocks with the new system, let me know.
My current starter setup for solid fuel has 23 Electrolysers and 4 chemical plants converting 73 coal into 73 solid fuel per minute.
Coal is 8MJ and solid fuel is 25MJ giving a net gain of 17MJ per unit converted, multiplied by 73 per minute giving me 1020MJ gain per minute.

The entire operation consumes 4.2MW when running. That's 252MJ per minute cost for converting coal to solid fuel.

This provides a net gain of 768MJ/min, but more notably, it also means that I spend 252 to get 1020 in return. That is 24.7% of the gains spent on fuel to produce those gains.

This isn't bad, really. It feels about right. I actually thought it was somewhat less efficient, with fully half of the new gains spent on the conversion. But no... a quarter of the gains feels fairly good and definitely justifies the complexity of setting up such a conversion system. Nobody should be powering their boilers with coal after they've researched solid fuel. These new 0.15 boilers really chew through the coal!! It's startling how fast they'll burn it up. The solid fuel conversion is pretty important because it's going to be quite a wait before you can get solar and nuclear going.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

How does that compare to vanilla Coal Liquefaction, converting everything to solid fuel?

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:How does that compare to vanilla Coal Liquefaction, converting everything to solid fuel?
I haven't run Vanilla yet, but with Bob's it seems to provide (after cracking) 12.5 petroleum gas at the expense of 10 coal. I haven't seen yet how much electricity it costs to do this conversion.

My gut feeling is that this is not nearly the free lunch a lot of people are whining about. 10 coal for 12.5 LPG is pretty expensive, I think. It basically offloads the oil burden to your coal mines, forcing you to produce a hell of a lot more coal to keep your plastic and batteries flowing.

Return to “Bob's mods”