[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Daemoria
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Daemoria »

Was playing multiplayer with a friend, and he managed to crash the LAN by placing an item. Apologies in advance if this valve doesn't belong to the Bob's mod suite, but it did have a callout to the logistics mod.

I couldn't find a dedicated bug report thread, is there one for these mods?
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
placement.jpg
placement.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
valve.jpg
valve.jpg (122.54 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

I noticed that when producing oil barrels that they never showed up on the [P]roduction screen. I don't have a vanilla save that far in, so I can't double check to see whose issue it is, but I thought I'd toss that out there to see if anyone else has noticed it.

Oninaig
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Oninaig »

The "More Inserters 1" research doesn't actually unlock anything. Neither does the "Near Inserters 1."

Is this intended for right now?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Naxza wrote:Since Angel's mods got updated to work with bobplates, I've got both running now. What I don't have, however, is a means of making Bobplates Carbon for the Electronic Components recipe, and it seems that the closest thing, angelspetrochem Carbon, is not sufficient or compatible. Am I missing a recipe somewhere?
unlock chemical processing 1, and use the chemical boiler to turn coal and water into carbon.
Daemoria wrote:Was playing multiplayer with a friend, and he managed to crash the LAN by placing an item. Apologies in advance if this valve doesn't belong to the Bob's mod suite, but it did have a callout to the logistics mod.

I couldn't find a dedicated bug report thread, is there one for these mods?
That is something from my mod, that actually looks a mess, I'll need to update the entity, and the script that controlls it.
Recon777 wrote:I noticed that when producing oil barrels that they never showed up on the [P]roduction screen. I don't have a vanilla save that far in, so I can't double check to see whose issue it is, but I thought I'd toss that out there to see if anyone else has noticed it.
I'd have to say that is entirely handled by the base game
Oninaig wrote:The "More Inserters 1" research doesn't actually unlock anything. Neither does the "Near Inserters 1."

Is this intended for right now?
I just explained how that works yesterday
bobingabout wrote:Long, More and Near inserter technologies DO NOT unlock anything directly, however, this is what they do:
There is a button of an express (Cyan (light blue) coloured) inserter at the top of the screen, this will open a menu. Researching these technologies will add options to that menu. (Long adds Long inserter toggle, Near adds Near side of belt placement, and More allows you to specify long input/output seperatly)
If you also have bob inserters installed, it will add extra options in that mod too. (Long2 and More2 are also in the inserters mod)(Long (and long 2) add options to where you can set the range, near allows you to specify the drop location within the tile, and More (and more 2) allows you to specify diagonals and more rotation options)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nitro_hedgehog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nitro_hedgehog »

your MK4 boilers are *almost* enough to keep up with two MK3 engines which results in annoying power spikes as it burns through one piece of coal to the next.

you may want to boost the boiler a tad so it can behave.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nitro_hedgehog wrote:your MK4 boilers are *almost* enough to keep up with two MK3 engines which results in annoying power spikes as it burns through one piece of coal to the next.

you may want to boost the boiler a tad so it can behave.
First feedback on the power so far :P

Maths says... 1/0.75(Steam engine MK3) * 10/7 (Boiler MK4) = ~1.9
Maybe I should increase the power of boiler 4 slightly. a flat out 1.5 multiplier instead of 10/7 would make it work (But then that means you need 6.6666... MK4 boilers to be equivalent to 10 MK1s :P I guess that's okay when you need 13.3333... steam engines.)

You know what, the numbers are terrible. I'm open to sugestions. No I'm not going to make steam engine MK3 take 1 unit of water a second, I want you to have to choose between turbines and steam engines.

I'm going to add higher tiers of turbines and heat exchangers too. Maybe reactors too.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
Naxza wrote:Since Angel's mods got updated to work with bobplates, I've got both running now. What I don't have, however, is a means of making Bobplates Carbon for the Electronic Components recipe, and it seems that the closest thing, angelspetrochem Carbon, is not sufficient or compatible. Am I missing a recipe somewhere?
unlock chemical processing 1, and use the chemical boiler to turn coal and water into carbon.
Angel already released a fix for this couple hours ago. His overwrite functions were not accommodating for the new simple/expensive recipes, so it failed to overwrite this and other recipes.
bobingabout wrote:
Recon777 wrote:I noticed that when producing oil barrels that they never showed up on the [P]roduction screen. I don't have a vanilla save that far in, so I can't double check to see whose issue it is, but I thought I'd toss that out there to see if anyone else has noticed it.
I'd have to say that is entirely handled by the base game
If I remember, vanilla does not track barrelling and unbarrelling stats, since they are pretty much misleading. What is really important to track is the fluid production and consumption, if that fluid was barrelled and barrelled 10 times between production and consumption is kinda irrelevant and would made the tracking numbers misleading since you would not know if you barrelled 10 different 'oil fluids' or the same 'oil fluid' was barrelled and barrelled 10 times. Same for the consuption and production of empty barrels in this process.

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

bobingabout wrote: I'm going to add higher tiers of turbines and heat exchangers too. Maybe reactors too.
Wow it would be cool. I can not wait for the MK3 reactor. 8-)

Also if its posible to add new options to uranium processing into bobplates mod. Plutonium from spent fuel, breader reactors, new type of nucluar fuel, etc.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sedar wrote:
bobingabout wrote: I'm going to add higher tiers of turbines and heat exchangers too. Maybe reactors too.
Wow it would be cool. I can not wait for the MK3 reactor. 8-)

Also if its posible to add new options to uranium processing into bobplates mod. Plutonium from spent fuel, breader reactors, new type of nucluar fuel, etc.
It's all good ideas.

Though we're going to have to wait until I get the current mods updated and working before adding new content. There's still a couple left to do.
I also have a Patreon.

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

bobingabout wrote: It's all good ideas.

Though we're going to have to wait until I get the current mods updated and working before adding new content. There's still a couple left to do.
Of course, I understand. :)

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Regarding your update list in the first post, could you either bold the different mod headings (clock, inserters, ores, etc) or add a line break after each one so they're more distinguishable? That way it's less a wall of text and more easily read between all the mods.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

bobingabout wrote:
nagapito wrote:...So, no more fuel canister?
There are no current plans to bring it back.
Given that burner mechanics can now return items, it might be worth it to use this to 'consume' liquids from barrels.

I.e. in your mod for the specific liquids (since the base game will generate / handle the barrels for them) add a fuel value and fuel category (liquid_fuel_barreled or something) to those generated barrel items, along with specifying that they return an empty barrel.
Then update the trains / boilers / vehicles burners to have a return slot. (This might be a bit messy, given that other mods also add burner entities and such. But could possibly be done with a script that loops through all entities with a burner part and adds in a output slot if it doesn't have one.)

But this is one way to approach it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

UberWaffe wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
nagapito wrote:...So, no more fuel canister?
There are no current plans to bring it back.
Given that burner mechanics can now return items, it might be worth it to use this to 'consume' liquids from barrels.

I.e. in your mod for the specific liquids (since the base game will generate / handle the barrels for them) add a fuel value and fuel category (liquid_fuel_barreled or something) to those generated barrel items, along with specifying that they return an empty barrel.
Then update the trains / boilers / vehicles burners to have a return slot. (This might be a bit messy, given that other mods also add burner entities and such. But could possibly be done with a script that loops through all entities with a burner part and adds in a output slot if it doesn't have one.)

But this is one way to approach it.
"liquid-fuel-filled-barrel", Fairly sure that's what the item name is. So I can add the fuel lines in data-updates.lua or data-final-fixes.lua.
I wasn't aware that fuel can return items now, is there an example around of how this is achieved? I'm guessing I should take a look at how the Nuclear reactor works, I'm guessing that's where it's used.
Enumerating through all entities with a burner might be a bit harder to do. Should probably also look at the fuel category too.
Jackalope wrote:Regarding your update list in the first post, could you either bold the different mod headings (clock, inserters, ores, etc) or add a line break after each one so they're more distinguishable? That way it's less a wall of text and more easily read between all the mods.
It's becoming difficult to edit too. I really should go through and organise it sometime soon.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Probably this
{
type = "item",
name = "uranium-fuel-cell",
icon = "__base__/graphics/icons/uranium-fuel-cell.png",
flags = {"goes-to-main-inventory"},
subgroup = "intermediate-product",
order = "r[uranium-processing]-a[uranium-fuel-cell]",
fuel_category = "nuclear",
burnt_result = "used-up-uranium-fuel-cell",
fuel_value = "8GJ",
stack_size = 50
},
and on the burner
burner =
{
fuel_category = "nuclear",
effectivity = 1,
fuel_inventory_size = 1,
burnt_inventory_size = 1
},

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

Well a slight word of warning about fuels that return things, as at the moment it is not possible to remove the results from vehicles with inserters so for example trains you can't fully automate them if you use a fuel that returns anything. The bug report is currently marked as a know issue, so it is not likely to change anytime soon it seems, although that could always change.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

JLBShecky wrote:Well a slight word of warning about fuels that return things, as at the moment it is not possible to remove the results from vehicles with inserters so for example trains you can't fully automate them if you use a fuel that returns anything. The bug report is currently marked as a know issue, so it is not likely to change anytime soon it seems, although that could always change.
Issues like this sort of make me want to leave the burnt results out of it for now.

I can still add a fuel value to the barrel though.
I also have a Patreon.

Drkrieger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Drkrieger »

Hey @bobingabout, I wanted to say thank you for all your hard work that you've put into your mods. Your mods bring so much more to the game, both in challenges as well as sheer fun (especially when combined with enemies mods like Natural Evolution, and Rampant AI).

I have a question about the weapons mods- it seems like a lot of the mod developers have either been delaying weapons, or have been taking a bit longer to finish them. I'm wondering if the game devs did some overhaul to the weapons code? If so, will it bring any new changes to your weapons pack? Aka, new ammunitions, damage multipliers, bonuses of any kind?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

bobingabout wrote:
Long, More and Near inserter technologies DO NOT unlock anything directly, however, this is what they do:
There is a button of an express (Cyan (light blue) coloured) inserter at the top of the screen, this will open a menu. Researching these technologies will add options to that menu. (Long adds Long inserter toggle, Near adds Near side of belt placement, and More allows you to specify long input/output seperatly)
If you also have bob inserters installed, it will add extra options in that mod too. (Long2 and More2 are also in the inserters mod)(Long (and long 2) add options to where you can set the range, near allows you to specify the drop location within the tile, and More (and more 2) allows you to specify diagonals and more rotation options)
You can assign "nothing" technology modifier which will show that information on the technology.

.15.0 Added a "nothing" technology modifier type with an "effect_key" property for script-based-effect research.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Regarding the fuel and burning stuff, I found an interesting article at http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38391034 saying that an industrial plant is capturing the CO2 emissions from a coal boiler for use in making various chemicals. It also has the nice side effect of dramatically lowering the pollution from that boiler. Perhaps that could be used in Factorio as well?

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Jackalope wrote:Regarding the fuel and burning stuff, I found an interesting article at http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38391034 saying that an industrial plant is capturing the CO2 emissions from a coal boiler for use in making various chemicals. It also has the nice side effect of dramatically lowering the pollution from that boiler. Perhaps that could be used in Factorio as well?
Actually, factorio already has something similar done by other Bob

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/bobkelso/Power_To_Liquid

Return to “Bob's mods”