0.15 - plans?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.15 - plans?

Post by bobingabout »

I've been working on MCI mod so far, and the question is basically... Do we even need my barrelling mechanic any more? I'm working on removing it from the mod for now. I dislike how all "fluid" types, including what I consider gasses go into barrels, but it's in the base game, so who am I to argue with that? I might do something with it later, but for now, letting the base game do what it wants, and removing my own barrelling system.

As for Science packs... is there much of a need for science pack 4 any more? probably not. Where I would use science pack 4, I'd probably end up using either a high tech pack, or production pack... or both.
I'll figure out the final plan later, but for now, where things cost a science pack 3, Production will be considered as a replacement. Where they currently use the alien science pack, or science pack 4, probably science pack 3 and production. and those that use a science pack 3, 4 and alien, will use a science pack 3, production and high tech.
This is for MCI and Logistics, Warfare mod will use a different structure, likely replacing production with military science pack instead.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

donkeystealing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by donkeystealing »

Just wanted to thank you for this mod collection. I can't play without it. Don't have much to add to that but; you can always change things as people start playing .15 with your mods, there's bound to be a lot of changes after the initial "launch". Don't be too radical for the first iteration.

treanski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by treanski »

Bob please stop this torture and give us your awesome mods for 0.15, i dont want to play factorio without them : :lol:

im just joking bro...thanks for your mods they are really great

Griggers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Griggers »

Bob, do you plan to change the rocket recipe and its components to better fit the bob mods theme? Especially considering it is now required for the infinite research.
Kind of like the CMHMod Bob's End Game mod.

And about the liquid fuel canister: if you are keeping it vanilla style in barrel form (assuming it can't be used a fuel item) maybe you could alter the rocket fuel recipe to take 100 (10 in old liquid values) liquid fuel instead of 10 solid fuel.
Downside is you can't use hydrogen for rocket fuel.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Griggers wrote:Bob, do you plan to change the rocket recipe and its components to better fit the bob mods theme? Especially considering it is now required for the infinite research.
Kind of like the CMHMod Bob's End Game mod.

And about the liquid fuel canister: if you are keeping it vanilla style in barrel form (assuming it can't be used a fuel item) maybe you could alter the rocket fuel recipe to take 100 (10 in old liquid values) liquid fuel instead of 10 solid fuel.
Downside is you can't use hydrogen for rocket fuel.
Yes. I plan to, eventually. There's a lot to do to get things working that comes first. In fact before the announcement of 0.15 back when they started to announce all these changes I'm having to fix now, I Was planning to do these changes for 0.14. But after so many news posts in a row that I basically read as "This will break your mods", I lost the motivation to continue, knowing I'd need to re-write a lot of it for 0.15.

I could probably edit the rocket fuel recipe to include liquid fuel, or hydrogen, or both instead of solid fuel.
I also have a Patreon.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Makes sense to replace science pack 4 with the new vanilla packs I suppose. I'm sure you'd be replacing the ingredients for the science packs with intermediate products that make more sense as well, instead of stuff like assembling machines / electric furnaces.

As for collecting alien artifacts - actually I was thinking the the aliens killed by turrets wouldn't drop artifacts at all, and the turret itself would generate an artifact each time it kills something. Would probably be much less laggy, right? Not that I'm concerned about lag. Just an idea. I might actually experiment around with making that as a separate addon (along with the flamethrower mutation liquids).
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote: is there much of a need for science pack 4 any more? probably not.
What's notable about this question is that it is SO long before you can even get to this tier of science because it requires Li batteries, which take a whole lot of setup to achieve.

This is a good thing. In vanilla (while I have not yet played it to that point), surely the new science packs aren't that difficult to get.

HOWEVER!!! You could definitely go with requiring SPACE science for those advanced things! Imagine that. A requirement to build and launch rockets just to get those advanced technologies. Especially if you increase the complexity of rockets.
That'd be epic.1

Regarding alien artifacts, I'm wondering if it might be better (at least from a gameplay perspective) to have the weapon which gets the kill spit out the item. That way they don't litter the landscape with a lot of entities which may never even get collected. Maybe turrets could spit items into an adjacent chest. Or if it's your own guns, they could go directly into your inventory. Just braintorming ideas; ignore if stupid.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Well, I'm sure bob would probably make the new vanilla science packs require stuff like Li batteries as well. Just like the changes to the existing science packs.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I enjoyed playing 0.14. I look forward to 0.15 and any new features / content that comes with it. That being said I hope new changes will come to really make a fresh feel to Bob for 0.15!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:Regarding alien artifacts, I'm wondering if it might be better (at least from a gameplay perspective) to have the weapon which gets the kill spit out the item.
The problem with that is that there is a system in place for "loot" to drop from enemies already. There is not a system in place to allow something to generate things upon a kill, so it would need to be done via scripting. And since what items drop is enemy specific, I'm not even sure it would be possible to drop the right item.
I also have a Patreon.

Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alxandr »

What's your plan for power mod in 0.15 bob? The new ratio of 1 boiler to 2 engines is really nice, perhaps you could add a mk4 engine and keep ratio between boilers/engines of same tier?

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

is there any chance of adding new nuclear ores like thorium?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Alxandr wrote:What's your plan for power mod in 0.15 bob? The new ratio of 1 boiler to 2 engines is really nice, perhaps you could add a mk4 engine and keep ratio between boilers/engines of same tier?
No plans as of yet, other than I need to come up with something new.
mcwaffles2003 wrote:is there any chance of adding new nuclear ores like thorium?
Although I have no current plans to do so, it is a possibility
I also have a Patreon.

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

bobingabout wrote:
Alxandr wrote:What's your plan for power mod in 0.15 bob? The new ratio of 1 boiler to 2 engines is really nice, perhaps you could add a mk4 engine and keep ratio between boilers/engines of same tier?
No plans as of yet, other than I need to come up with something new.
mcwaffles2003 wrote:is there any chance of adding new nuclear ores like thorium?
Although I have no current plans to do so, it is a possibility
I'm playing the deathworld scenario, and I've got to say, it's a solid challenge so far. The fact stuff is enormously more expensive is certainly tossing a twist into it.

Steam/Boilers are a disappointment though. I thought power generation was going to get more complicated (or at least have more complicated options), IE: re-heating steam or something to that effect. The devs obviously tried to switch it up, but the new configuration isn't really any different than the old, heck, it might even be more simplistic for most.

Bob: I hope you find a way to make nuclear more convoluted... Because from what I've seen, the entire process looks trivialized.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Heh, anything in vanilla is going to look trivialized when you're used to bob's mods / uranium power. :-)

I kinda liked having to re-evaluate boiler to engine ratios as I went up the tiers in bob's mods. The new 2:1 vanilla ratio seems to really trivialize things, the whole thing may as well be a 3x10 structure. I hope bob can spice things up a bit.

Asekhan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Asekhan »

Instead of actually reworking the current rocket, you could simply use the space science pack in your progression and then make another rocket/satellite which would give out more/another type of space science.

Consistently impressive on your work and speed, thanks for your now-essential mods!

emtffkev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by emtffkev »

I recall reading in the some of the information regarding the change with space science that there are methods they left open for mod authors to utilize as well. I think the example they used had to do with sending something up and receiving fish.

Bob, you can utilize the standard rocket but develop your own "payload" or even tiered payloads that will return different higher tier materials or later game science that we will need to utilize.

Actually, reading that last line back, the idea of having to rely on a steady stream of an ore from the moon, or mars, or whatever celestial body you come up with to progress through your mod both terrorizes me and excites me at the same time...

Edit:
Had to add more...

Can you imagine the concept of setup up your silo as a sort of "space depot" and having to bring in ores that are brought back from space?

I play Space Engineers as well and as an example, there are certain things you can't build until you've been to space to mine platinum from asteroids or the moon. I'm thinking similar concept.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

I mean, while the concept of sending rockets to space to bring back ore from the moon is cool and all, mechanically it's the same as an assembling machine isn't it? Just put the materials in, and take the product out.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Logistics is finally out, that leaves 4 mods:

Power
Warfare
Vehicle Equipment
Revamp

They will be updated in that order. I'm not sure which will take more time to do.
I also have a Patreon.

ironchefpython
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ironchefpython »

> Do we even need my barrelling mechanic any more?

Yes please. it would make sense to use the 55 gallon barrels for bulk liquids: water, crude, heavy, light, and petroleum gas. Stuff like lubricant, acids, chloride solution, and other manufacturing fluids in canisters, and industrial gasses in bottles. Ideally, canisters and bottles would have lower capacities and higher stack sizes (maybe 10:1 ?) so that you could choose if you wanted to use canisters or barrels for some liquids.

> is there much of a need for science pack 4 any more? probably not.

Not as it currently stands. If Bob's Tech isn't present, if you used the 6 basic packs for your mods (inducing module research), that would be a good experience.

However, if you want to update a Bob's Tech Mod, and have military research labs that take military parts and alien drops directly, just like module labs do, that would be cool.

> No plans as of yet, other than I need to come up with something new [about power generation)

If you want to add a bit of evolutionary complexity, each upgrade to boilers can make hotter steam for more fuel, and each upgrade to engines produces 5% more power using 5% less steam. This would let the ratios change as tech changes, and at some point you can switch to to a ratio of one advanced boiler to one turbine when the steam is hot enough.
Last edited by ironchefpython on Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bob's mods”