[0.12.x][v0.12.12] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Which of the new v0.7 additions do you like the best?

Advanced Electronics 3 with CPUs
25%
The Nitrogen/Ceramic chain
17%
The new Pumps and barrel/bottle recipes
11%
The new types of pipes
11%
Factory reballancing
14%
The new Electrolyser graphics!
23%

Total votes: 234

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod

Post by bobingabout »

CreeperDaReeper wrote:Had a thought for adding another element. (Oh god not another one!) Lithium, mostly for better batteries and such. Either found as the rare Zabuyelite Ore (Li2CO3), or from Salt combined with Soda Ash, (which is how they separate Lithium from its specific salt).

Salt + Stone = Soda Ash + Calcium Chloride
Soda Ash + Salt = Lithium Ore
First part is also know as the Solvay Process, which has a byproduct of Calcium Chloride.
I was thinking about Lithium specifically for batteries, but didn't want to add another minable ore. If there are other methods for obtaining lithium, such as a chemical method as mentioned, then it would be something I could add, so I might.

I was also thinking about Nitrogen, and other nitrogen based chemical derivatives. Nitrogen + 2x Oxigen = Nitrogen Dioxide. Nitrogen Dioxide + Water = Nitric Acid. Nitric Acid + Gycerol(Made from light oil) = Nitroglycerine. As you can tell, this chain is to make an explosive, I'm not sure if I should add the chain to this mod, or part of it to this mod, and the rest of it, or even all of it to my warfare mod in WIP.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

bobingabout wrote:
CreeperDaReeper wrote:Had a thought for adding another element. (Oh god not another one!) Lithium, mostly for better batteries and such. Either found as the rare Zabuyelite Ore (Li2CO3), or from Salt combined with Soda Ash, (which is how they separate Lithium from its specific salt).
Salt + Stone = Soda Ash + Calcium Chloride
Soda Ash + Salt = Lithium Ore
First part is also know as the Solvay Process, which has a byproduct of Calcium Chloride.
I was thinking about Lithium specifically for batteries, but didn't want to add another minable ore. If there are other methods for obtaining lithium, such as a chemical method as mentioned, then it would be something I could add, so I might.
I was also thinking about Nitrogen, and other nitrogen based chemical derivatives. Nitrogen + 2x Oxigen = Nitrogen Dioxide. Nitrogen Dioxide + Water = Nitric Acid. Nitric Acid + Gycerol(Made from light oil) = Nitroglycerine. As you can tell, this chain is to make an explosive, I'm not sure if I should add the chain to this mod, or part of it to this mod, and the rest of it, or even all of it to my warfare mod in WIP.
Nitrogen you say? Hehehe. Either add an air compressor to the game or have a Chemical Plant suck it in as it runs the recipe to distil the air.
Wikipedia: Air
--78.08% Nitrogen (N2)
--20.94% Oxygen (O2)
--00.93% Argon (Ar)
--00.25% Water Vapor (H2O)
--00.03% Carbon Dioxide (CO2)

Now, Argon we don't care about so it wouldn't even be included in the distillates, and the amount of CO2 in normal air is negligible, so that leaves us with Nitrogen, Oxygen, & Water. Personally I'd go one step further and make it so we could pull pollution out of the air. Something like the following:

Polluted Air =>
Chemical Plant =>
CO2 + Air =>
Chemical Plant =>
H2O + Dry Air =>
Chemical Plant =>
N2 + O2

Either that or just have a recipe for chemical plants that sucks in air and outputs N2 & O2.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The nitrogen -> nitroglycerin chain is complicated enough as it is, I don't want to go making it even more complicated by making nitrogen too hard to get in the first place.

As such I took a little inspiration from DyTech/Treefarm and added the same "Liquid Air" fluid that they've used. Treefarm then goes on to create Liquid Nitrogen from Liquid air...

I decided to take a different path, and simply go from Liquid Air -> Nitrogen in a chemical plant. (which is possible via a process known as fractal distilation.)

Since I already have Oxygen in the game, it is possible I could increase the difficulty a little and add Oxygen as an output from the nitrogen production process too. Since it's near enough 80% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen, I'd probably say an output of 1.0 Nitrogen and 0.25 Oxygen IF I add oxygen to it.

Which wouldn't be such a bad thing, because you need 0.5x Nitrogen + 1x Oxygen = 1x Nitrogen Dioxide for the very next chain anyway, so no matter what you need to connect that oxygen input to your Electrolysis Oxygen network anyway.

Also, this is an alien planet, not earth, would they even have nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere?

Looking back at the Lithium process... the Lithium comes from a Lithium based salt, Since my salt is already used to produce Sodium Hydroxide, and Chlorine in the salt water electrolysis process (Sodium Hydroxide being another form of salt as it is) it should be presumed that "Salt" is Sodium Chloride, and therefore can't contain Lithium.

So that means either we have to come up with an idea for where to get Lithium salt, or a new process entirely.
I also have a Patreon.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

bobingabout wrote:Looking back at the Lithium process... the Lithium comes from a Lithium based salt, Since my salt is already used to produce Sodium Hydroxide, and Chlorine in the salt water electrolysis process (Sodium Hydroxide being another form of salt as it is) it should be presumed that "Salt" is Sodium Chloride, and therefore can't contain Lithium. So that means either we have to come up with an idea for where to get Lithium salt, or a new process entirely.
My thoughts on this lead me back to an idea I've had on how to add a stupid amount of ores to the game, WITHOUT adding too many noise layers. Roughly it goes as follows;

Each chunk of the game would spawn a main ore, and various related ores, from a list/array. There would be three main categories; Structural (iron/titanium/aluminum/tungsten/nickel/lead/zinc), Electrical (tin/copper/silver/gold/Lithium), or Mineral (salt/sulfur/quartz/stone/coal/sand).
After a chunk's category is set, its main ore would be set, and then various related ores. Say a chunk is set as Structural, the most common main ore would be iron, and for example it would have nickel and titanium spawn as lesser deposits.

Thinking on it like this, the game would then only really have to generate one noise map.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

To get something like that to work would require a lot of scripting. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, I just don't think I want to take that aproach.

A friend of mine had another idea. Basically, you have a structure that he called a "Bore", which in essense is like a well. You dig a hole, and it taps into underground water. For the sake of the game, it would likely just be another assembly machine entity with a special recipe group which contains the recipe to produe mineral water (which is where lithium salt comes from) where can then be fed into a chemical furnace and evaporated to produce lithium salt, in the same way that the chemical furnace currently produces salt from regular water.

what do you think?
I also have a Patreon.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

bobingabout wrote:To get something like that to work would require a lot of scripting. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, I just don't think I want to take that aproach.
A friend of mine had another idea. Basically, you have a structure that he called a "Bore", which in essense is like a well. You dig a hole, and it taps into underground water. For the sake of the game, it would likely just be another assembly machine entity with a special recipe group which contains the recipe to produe mineral water (which is where lithium salt comes from) where can then be fed into a chemical furnace and evaporated to produce lithium salt, in the same way that the chemical furnace currently produces salt from regular water.
what do you think?
That works.

Edit 1:
By the way, found another purpose for Nitrogen. Cermaic Materials
Picture on the right side of the page shows Si3N4 Ceramic Bearings in various shapes/sizes.

Edit 2:
Found this while looking for simple ores for various elements. Can't believe I only remembered it now. Zabuyelite

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ceramics could be useful, it's a good reason to add the nitrogen production to metals, chemicals and intermediates mod, rather than the warfare mod. At least up to nitric acid, there's little point making nitroglicerin and further in bobplates.

As for the Lithium ore Zabuyelite, it's a good find, but again, trying to stay away from adding more ores.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I'm a little concerned that your manufacturing chains are getting a bit out of hand. I'm currently flowcharting the production of modules, and it's positively labyrinthine.

Anyway, I was going to suggest the bore well idea myself, actually. Would you be able to place them anywhere or would there be spots on the map like the current oil wells that you would have to set up extraction devices on?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I would personally like to do "Spots on the map", but to place them would likely require another kind of noise layer, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

So, for now at least, Anywhere on the map.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Fair enough.

One other thing I was thinking about is the potential imbalance of gas production. If you've got too much oxygen or hydrogen for whatever reason, it would be useful to have a way to burn it off or simply release it into the atmosphere again. Oxygen would be harmless, hydrogen maybe less so but you could burn it to produce water and power and hey, no pollution. Chlorine would probably be a lot less harmless though.

So an atmospheric release plant would be a nice addition; you choose a gas 'recipe' and it releases x amount of gas per one of its cycles.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Thats actually why the Hydrogen part is more complex. Controlling it is actually just a difficulty factor.

Producing too much Oxygen? well, hydrogen stops from clean water electrolysis, because of the oxygen.
Producing too much Chlorine? same situation, so you have no hydrogen production.
You end up with a Hydrogen shortage. The problem can be solved from the oil chain, crack petrolium gas down to Hydrogen.

With the recipe merged from intermediates: Coal cracking, you can turn that into heavy oil, and crack down the chain to eventually get more hydrogen.
It's expensive, but these 2 recipes combined make sure you never run out of oil, nor hydrogen. untill you run out of coal anyway.

reverse:
Producing too much hydrogen, so you can't produce any Oxygen or Chlorine.
The solution is to set up a Bottled Hydrogen system, it removes the hydrogen from your pipes and turns it into a fuel item.
this can then be burned at any "Burner" powered item, such as a your power plant. it can also be used in trains and cars.

It's also why one of my chains unlocks the storage tank "early", or alternatively to the fluid management unlock. if it comes to it, build a storage facility to store the excess of each gas, at the very least it gives you time to manage the productions of each gas, and if it comes to it, remove a filled tank of a gas you don't want to effectively destroy that gas.

Unfortunately ballancing it becomes a bit harder when you include the newly added, but not yet released Nitrogen chain. Making Nitrogen from air gives a byproduct, Oxygen (which is actually needed in the next part of the nitric acid chain to make nitrogen dioxide), so you either need somewhere for the oxygen to go if you want nitrogen, or something else to producing in oxygen if you want nitric acid. since there's nowhere for oxygen to go at the moment, that means you need a chain that uses oxygen, but if you want the acid, you also need the electrolysers, and if you're not using the hydrogen elsewhere yet, need to set up a blottling plant, just so you can keep producing the oxygen for the nitric acid.

I was thinking of making an air compresser building, or some such to produce the piped air for the first stage of the nitrogen chain, that could easily be dual purposed to vent a gas too, though I might limit it to only oxygen.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:D i am game in mod @Intermediates@ very hard!!! :D :D thanks

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Yeah, I was going to say that I realised the existing system is self-balancing based on demand...until gold is introduced. But mopping up the excess hydrogen with tungsten should probably help with that.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, the Hydrogen Chloride production takes exactly the ammount of Hydrogen and Chlorine that the Salt water electrolysis produces, but then there are things that need Hydrogen, Oxygen and Chlorine seperately too.

I have been a bit busy with other things recently, but I'll get back into modding again and work on this to hopefully produce another release soon.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Bobingabout, which recipies will use lead plates in future? Now it looks like the extra weight from galena ore
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:Bobingabout, which recipies will use lead plates in future? Now it looks like the extra weight from galena ore
Currently I have 2 unreleased recipes, but there will be more in future.
So far, in the next version of this mod there will be a second solder recipe, that uses 4 tin 7 lead 2 resin. Since solder is used a lot in my electronics, and modules, that's a fair bit of lead dump right there.
Secondly, I'm warfare mod, which currently only include high end bullets. one of these bullet types is jacketed lead, and uses lead in there.

I'll probably also add a recipe for Lead Shot for a shotgun recipe, and perhaps use Lead in some new alloys.

Though I'm not actively working on the mod right now, I'll get back to it soon.
I also have a Patreon.

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

About warfare...
Is it possible make a energetic weapon? The weapon that uses UPS (universal power supply) with high number of charges. Or cartridge with low number of charges but it can't disappear even if fully "empty". Or if it disappear, you will get discharged one and you will must "charge" (just by craft) it to use again.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It has been a while since I've posted any real update progress with this mod, but I have been poking it from time to time and making small changes and additions here and there.

It is still far from a state I would consider to be the next 0.7.0 release, but I thought it would be nice to share what I've included thus far.

Here is my 0.7.0 WIP file, Internally numbered as 0.6.2 (To make a transition above 0.6.1 without going to 0.7.0)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdmn4g10cbo4t ... p.rar?dl=0

Changes:
* Added Lead based solder recipe.
* Added fast replacable for Electrolysers
* Added overide for base game plate stack sizes.
* Added Nitrogen chain and research.
* Added Cermics research, Silicon powder, Silicon nitride, and Ceramic bearings.
* Added Lithia water and Lithium Chloride.
* Reballanced factory energy consumptions (Higher levels use more power, but still less per build cycle).

Keep in mind this is experimental, and could possibly be incompatable with the future 0.7.0 release of this mod, so try not to use it in games you do not wish to corrupt, or keep for long term use, because the savegames created with this version installed might not work if you remove this version of the mod.
(The incompatability would likely be due to things such as the Air/Water Pumps, if it is renamed, removed, or resized before final release. Entities have a habit of crashing the game rather than being deleted/replaced if the new version is different from the old.)
I also have a Patreon.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

When I would be incompatible I can't test it sry.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:When I would be incompatible I can't test it sry.
Edited my message to clarify. The mod should be compatable, but the savegames created with the experimental version of this mod installed might not be compatable with the final version of this mod.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”