[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.6.2] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Airat9000 »

questions not generated in resin in map ground

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Airat9000 wrote:questions not generated in resin in map ground
Resin? You make that from Wood, or Heavy Oil.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Can i get cobalt without cobalt generation turned on?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:Can i get cobalt without cobalt generation turned on?
you can get Cobalt from 3 ways.
1. Turn on Cobalt ore.
2. Turn on Nickel gives Cobalt. This means if you have patchs of Nickel, they also drop Cobaltite. If Nickel is turned off, but Galena gives Nickel is turned on, Galena will drop Cobaltite.
3. (In MCI) Research Cobalt processing, there is a Copper refining process that gives Cobalt Oxide as a by product, this is actually the material you need to make Lithium Cobalt Oxide as used in Lithium Ion batteries.

Currently, Although you can smelt Cobalt bars, they are unusused. And Lithium Ion Batteries are currently unused too.

I do plan to use the Lithium Ion Batteries in the Warfare and Power mods. I havn't thought of a use for Cobalt bars yet, I basically just added those for completeness of the chain.

Edit:
Cobalt-based superalloys consume most of the produced cobalt. The temperature stability of these alloys makes them suitable for use in turbine blades for gas turbines and jet aircraft engines
Perhaps some new alloys? Perhaps to be used in some form of robot?
reading more about cobalt sugests pretty much any high speed wear resistant application, a cobalt-tungsten-carbide alloy for example is used in cutting tools.
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

A gas powered electricity generator? (at least, once factorio supports liquids as fuel, i guess)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Turbines to replace reciprocating steam engines for power production. Helicopters. High-performance drones.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I still think game is easy when steel cost 2 plates. I think of factorio steel as thin plates forging into thick steel girders, that's why they cost 5 plates, not because fuck logic but because thin->thick.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

Boogieman14 wrote:A gas powered electricity generator? (at least, once factorio supports liquids as fuel, i guess)
Liquid fueled generators would be a much welcome addition.
While we can use solid fuel ones it would just be a easier to maintain solution.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

more quartz

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I've been reading your sugestions. I could make the Steel cost overide optional via a config option if you like, that way I wouldn't be forcing it on anyone who doesn't like it, like cpy. It's actually part of the plates (MCI) mod, not this one.

Generators that burn an entity and produce electricity directly arn't coded into the base game, but aparantly are possible with scripting, I'm not sure how stable they are just yet though, but the easy way to code them would be to use the momods template. And Liquid fuel aparantly isn't even currently possible with MoMods, so I'd rather wait.

Other uses for Cobalt though, I do like some of them, High end steam engines(Or turbines, the graphical difference is a pain for someone like me who is primarilly a coder), and high end drones would be good uses, high end mining drills too if and when I get to those.
Airat9000 wrote:more quartz
I have fixed this, but havn't released the fix yet.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Well i hope you find some nice sprite artists for your mods. Dytech is completely imba, so i try to avoid as much of dytech modules as possible, the only way dytech is not that much op is by using bobs mods. You made everything more complex and challenging to automate, that's the mod i like.

Optional steel plates is good option. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:You made everything more complex and challenging to automate, that's the mod i like.
I actually "cheated" a little with a few things to make them simpler than real life.

a good example of this is the Lithium Ion Batteries. Lithium Perchlorate, I can't think of any uses for it other than in batteries, and the real life process would have you combine Lithium Chloride with Sodium Perchlorate, Sodium perchlorate is Electrolysis of Sodium chlorate in water, sodium chlorate is electrolysis of Sodium chloride in boiling water... It would have been a 4 step process, I bumped it on down to 1, from the electrolysis of Lithium Chloride in water. Since you need to use a couple of other unique items, like the Lithium Cobalt Oxide to make the batteries already, lithium cobalt oxide requiring the complete lithim chain, and almost complete cobalt chain itself, it would end up being over-complicated if every ingredient, including ones only in the lithium batteries, would have such a long process chain.
cpy wrote:Optional steel plates is good option. :)
I'll put this in the next version then, turned on by default.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Bobingabout why i cannot not add cobaltide and sulfur ores in map editor?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Bob, have you ever done any numbercrunching on roughly what ratio would be ideal between the various types of ore? I made myself a replacement mod for your ores, where one type of resource gives all the different ores at the same time (I found that I didn't enjoy have to chase down all these different, fairly small, fields of ore, I prefer big fields that are far apart, RSO style). I'd like my mod to give ore roughly in a ratio that will match demand though, so I don't set myself up for failure :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:Bobingabout why i cannot not add cobaltide and sulfur ores in map editor?
Open file "config.lua" in any text editor. If you are using windows, Notepad or Wordpad will do.
Change settings EnableNickelOre, EnableCobaltOre, EnableSulfur from false to true.

If you want all ores seperate, I recomend the following:

Code: Select all

-- if set to true, Nickel ore fields can spawn on maps. new maps will have autoplace control options.
EnableNickelOre=true

-- if set to true, Cobalt ore fields can spawn on maps. new maps will have autoplace control options.
EnableCobaltOre=true

-- if set to true, Sulfur fields can spawn on maps. new maps will have autoplace control options.
EnableSulfur=true

-- if set to true, Gem ore fields can spawn on maps. new maps will have autoplace control options.
EnableGemOre=false

-- if set to true, Stone will apear in larger, richer vains.
EnhanceStone=true

-- if set to true, Galena ore fields will give Nickel ore as well as Lead ore.
GalenaGivesNickel=false

-- if set to true, Nickel ore fields will give Cobalt ore as well as Nickel ore.
-- if Nickel ore is disabled, but Galena gives Nickel is enabled, Galena will also give Cobalt ore.
NickelGivesCobalt=false

-- These set the probability of extra ores being given from fields of multiple ore types.
LeadNickelRatio=0.75
NickelCobaltRatio=0.4

-- If set to true, Ore acts like Oil in that it doesn't disapar, but mining speed slows as it depleats.
InfiniteOre=false

-- F-Mod Compatability. If set to true, Tin ore fields will drop Cassiterite INSTEAD of Tin ore.
-- You should only turn this on if you are using F-Mod and not using DyTech Metalurgy or Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod.
TinGivesCassiterite=false
Boogieman14 wrote:Bob, have you ever done any numbercrunching on roughly what ratio would be ideal between the various types of ore? I made myself a replacement mod for your ores, where one type of resource gives all the different ores at the same time (I found that I didn't enjoy have to chase down all these different, fairly small, fields of ore, I prefer big fields that are far apart, RSO style). I'd like my mod to give ore roughly in a ratio that will match demand though, so I don't set myself up for failure :)
Nope. But off the top of my head... (Optimised for Lead/Tin based solder, not tin/silver/copper)
Iron 3, Copper 1, Coal 0.5, Stone 0.75, Tin 1, Silver, 0.1, Gold 0.4, Zinc 0.1, Lead 0.5, Tungsten 0.5, Rutile 0.5, Bauxite 0.3, Quartz 0.5, Nickel 0.3, Cobaltite 0.05, Sulfur 0.1.

reasoning: Iron is such a heavy use, because it is used to make A LOT of steel. Silver is only used to make solder in my mods, and since you can also make it with Lead, you don't want much of it. Zinc is only used in Brass and Gunmetal, untill recently it was useless, it is so far only used to make brass pipes. Lead is best used in solder, and unreleased warfare mod. Most of the rest of my upgraded things will use Tungsten, Titanium, and Nickel. Quartz and tin are HEAVILLY used in the electronics, and gold is used a fair bit too.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Open file "config.lua" in any text editor. If you are using windows, Notepad or Wordpad will do. Change settings EnableNickelOre, EnableCobaltOre, EnableSulfur from false to true.
With these settings nickel ore can replace galena ore, or spawn separately of galena ore, I understand right?
And in future versions these ores will be in map editor always?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:
Open file "config.lua" in any text editor. If you are using windows, Notepad or Wordpad will do. Change settings EnableNickelOre, EnableCobaltOre, EnableSulfur from false to true.
With these settings nickel ore can replace galena ore, or spawn separately of galena ore, I understand right?
And in future versions these ores will be in map editor always?
With those settings, Nickel is seperate from Galena(Lead)

And no, we had a conversation through the topic here, and a poll. most people wanted Lead and Nickel to be one field, Galena, and if Nickel ore was available, it would be an option, or seperate mod. Most people thought it would be best to have them as options all in 1 mod, rather than 2 seperate mods.

Cobalt and Sulfur were added later, and are also optional, since the game with my mods is still playable without them as ore fields.

This is the result.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Bobingabout, can you simple left enabled sulfur and cobaltide in map editor in future versions?

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

So I've been using the infinite ores option for a while...I'm not sure if I like it or not. It's nice to not have to worry about ore fields going dry, but at the same time, their productivity doesn't seem to noticeably deteriorate as time goes on. I'm not sure if I'm just not paying attention or the large stockpiles of ore that accrue at the mining outposts are making it impossible to see the change, but infinite ores really do seem infinite.

And there's definitely something wrong with the yield data, since it always gives wild numbers like 300/s, and then it's different again when I open the drill's window. Probably the number it gives there is for the individual square of ore it's currently targeting, but even so, it's still kind of borked. Did you just port that calculation straight over from the pumpjacks, Bob?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

the code is based on that from oil, and the resources/s calculations are automatic, and are wrong because of the way the game works.

your electric drill has a 5x5 mining area, now, normally this gives a total resources output by adding up the ammount on every tile within the mining zone.

With infinite turned on, it takes the ammount on the tile, and changes it to a resources/second by taking the current ammount, and dividing by the normal ammount, and this is multiplied by the drills speed.

Then, because it has a 5x5 area, adds the speed of all the patchs in the area together, even though it only cycles through them 1 patch at a time.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”