[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I've got a curious question for other Bob's Modders.
I've just gotten to the stage for mining Galena (Lead and Nickel) but I'm not using the nickel, so the lead ore isn't getting to the furnaces.

Is there any other option apart from boxing up the nickel ore? I've already filled 10 steel chests.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:I've got a curious question for other Bob's Modders.
I've just gotten to the stage for mining Galena (Lead and Nickel) but I'm not using the nickel, so the lead ore isn't getting to the furnaces.

Is there any other option apart from boxing up the nickel ore? I've already filled 10 steel chests.
You'll need some nickel to make invar for more advanced stuff - turrets for sure. Other then that it's boxing sadly or compression chests mod to keep all of it in one chest.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, early game it's purely a thing to stick in boxes, so if you're running a slow paced large base, then you need a lot of storage for it untill you start using it.

I've actually considered changing the rules to have Nickel ore fields enabled by default instead of this Galena gives Nickel option. That would solve this.

But for now.... just more storage, you will need it eventually.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Didn't know there was a config option for it. I might look into it.

Thanks Bob and orzelek

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:Didn't know there was a config option for it. I might look into it.

Thanks Bob and orzelek
I think in the latest version I moved (or maybe copied) it over to the plates mod (MCI), so look in the plates config file too.
I also have a Patreon.

Nudibranch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Nudibranch »

I cannot figure out how to get cobalt. Looked for the config file and tried to regen (says not autoplacable). It is needed for the Lit Batteries for Science Pack 4. Am I doing something dumb?

Never-mind, found it and fixed. Never downloaded and installed the config mod.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nudibranch wrote:I cannot figure out how to get cobalt.
Cobalt processing research unlocks a copper processing with cobalt oxide recipe. That's how you're supposed to get cobalt.
I also have a Patreon.

Nudibranch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nudibranch »

Ah! I totally missed that. I didn't pay attention that the copper and cobalt were products, not requirements. Same thing with silver. **face palm.

Thanks for directing me there! And more so, thanks for an incredible set of mods!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nudibranch wrote:Ah! I totally missed that. I didn't pay attention that the copper and cobalt were products, not requirements. Same thing with silver. **face palm.

Thanks for directing me there! And more so, thanks for an incredible set of mods!
No problem. It is actually a very commonly asked question. When I get back to writing my guides, this is definitely one of the peices of information that will be included.

And thanks, I'm glad you enjoy my mods :)
I also have a Patreon.

uzmn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by uzmn »

Hi.
First - stunning work!

Second: possible bug
Formula "Advanced lead processing with Silver ore" can't be placed in Electric Mixing Furnace Mk.2.
It's working fine with regular (Mk.1) and it's not been tested with more advanced furnaces.

I can't find Bob's Plates thread, if exists, please move my post.

Anyway, thank you for you great work.
Attachments
bug1.jpg
bug1.jpg (282.85 KiB) Viewed 5316 times

Doddler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Doddler »

Just a bit random, is there any planned use for cobalt bars in the future? RIght now it's only used in the pickaxe and armor, and both of which are in a bit of an odd place where you'll likely get the higher tier versions set up before you get proper cobalt processing going.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

uzmn wrote:I can't find Bob's Plates thread, if exists, please move my post.
The post is okay here, it wouldn't be the first time someone posted in the wrong place. But bobplates is the name of this mod, which stems to it's origin of just adding plates, the full name of the mod now is "Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates", which is what it should apear as in the game's mod menu. Also there's the Bob's Mods 0.12 topic for general talk and bugs.

Anyway, that recipe. According to the code, it should only be able to be produced in a Chemical Furnace production machine. This includes the Electric Chemical Furnace, the Electric Chemical Mixing Furnace and the Electric Chemical Mixing Furnace MK2. It can't be produced in any base game furnace, the Burner/Electric Mixing furnace, or the Chemical Boiler (Because it only has 2 ingredient slots).

Remember, 3 types of furnace. Base game type, Mixing, and Chemical. This recipe comes under the Chemical catagory.
Doddler wrote:Just a bit random, is there any planned use for cobalt bars in the future? RIght now it's only used in the pickaxe and armor, and both of which are in a bit of an odd place where you'll likely get the higher tier versions set up before you get proper cobalt processing going.
Nothing specific currently. Cobalt steel will likely also be used in the new mining machines recipes if it isn't already, those need looking at... I keep putting them off because I want to create new intermediates for them. And I was also considering adding a new high end alloy... Tungsten carbide cobalt, but there's no planned use for it yet, so I didn't add it.
I also have a Patreon.

neuffs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by neuffs »

When using the infinite resource option from the config mod all the vanilla ores (coal, stone, iron and copper) have a yield of >100000%. I tested with some miners and the mining speed doesn't slow down when they reach their minimum, which is 3500% for some reason. This doesn't affect the Bob ores.

Another very odd thing is that this does not happen when having the option off, and using the endless-resource mod instead (although the bob ores are not infinite then).

Also a suggestion would be so that one can set the minimum percentages, 10% is a little easy to exploit with a couple of miners.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The error is in config mod. It is setting the unused value "maximum" instead of "normal".

As for the percentages, my ores are set automatically by the library mod, where the values of other ores are hard set in config to 35 and 350(or probably 1 with the error). trying to change this from the same 10% structure as used with out would be... awkward.
I also have a Patreon.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

How slow is the infinite resources patches when they've run out?
I haven't tried it out of fear that will God modules I won't need to expand my base.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:How slow is the infinite resources patches when they've run out?
I haven't tried it out of fear that will God modules I won't need to expand my base.
10% of normal.
And ore works differently than fluids, anything above "normal" is 100% mining speed and probabillity. Anything below "normal" becomes a probabillity of getting an ore per cycle. So you'll mine at the same speed, but each time a cycle finishs, you have a 10% probabillity of getting a 100% probabillity ore.
If you're dealing with secondary ores such as Nickel from Galena, that's a 75% probabillity to start with, so drops to 7.5% chance.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

I am drowning in Nickel ore!
I was wondering if you should make an alternative cement recipe to use Nickel ore vs. Iron Ore, since it's just stones in the cement mix.

Give me something to do with all this Nickel I have! :lol:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TheSAguy wrote:I am drowning in Nickel ore!
I was wondering if you should make an alternative cement recipe to use Nickel ore vs. Iron Ore, since it's just stones in the cement mix.

... Cement?

Nickel should be a relatively highly used alloying metal for Invar(Mid game), Tungsten(mid-late game), Nitinol(late game), and occasionally nickel itself.

of course if you're having trouble ballancing it and you're getting too much from mining lead, there's always the option of turning on nickel ore fields, and turning off the nickel from galena option in the config mod.
The main issue most people have is that they need lead for the early-mid game, to make electronics, but don't need the nickel they get with it untill later on.
I also have a Patreon.

codewarrior
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by codewarrior »

TheSAguy wrote:I am drowning in Nickel ore!

Process the ore into nickel plates and sulfuric acid. Use the acid to process zinc and craft batteries. Stash the nickel plates in a chest until you need them for invar and nitinol.

netmc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by netmc »

I've been messing with the mod for the last few days, and I have some questions on ratios and related products and byproducts. Ideally, I would like a nice processing loop that doesn't leave me with a bunch of extra byproducts that I can't do anything with.

For instance, I found processing nickel ore gives the exact output needed to then process zinc in a 1:1 ratio without any extra byproducts. I don't have a use much for zinc or nickel yet, but I figured I will need it later.

I am just getting into advanced copper processing and advanced lead processing. From what I can tell, these also seem to be related. I'm not sure what the ratio is between the machines though so that the chemical output of one will feed into the other.

The water electrolysis gives hydrogen when feeds the copper processing, and oxygen feeds the lead processing.

Lead oxide produces sulfur dioxide, which can then be combined with water to create sulfuric acid, which it fed over to the cobalt plate processing, or if I use oxygen, I get sulfur.

I guess my question is should I build in a way to make more/remove extra of the byproduct/catalyst? I'm trying to build a nice, neat base, and could use the recommendations for the machines/ore processing.

Return to “Bob's mods”