[0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

Although you do have a valid point there, I probably won't change it for one simple reason.

You're supposed to get Oxygen from Electrolysis (which is available earlier in the game), The recipe in question is the only source of Nitrogen so far, and as such, is probably the reason why you're running the recipe, at this point Oxygen basically becomes the annoying by-product (Even though there's a high chance you'll be wanting the nitrogen dioxide recipe, which requires more oxygen!).
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Walayimuna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Walayimuna »

bobingabout wrote:Although you do have a valid point there, I probably won't change it for one simple reason.

You're supposed to get Oxygen from Electrolysis (which is available earlier in the game), The recipe in question is the only source of Nitrogen so far, and as such, is probably the reason why you're running the recipe, at this point Oxygen basically becomes the annoying by-product (Even though there's a high chance you'll be wanting the nitrogen dioxide recipe, which requires more oxygen!).
I would like to add a sugestion then about the use of oxygen.

Perhaps you could add Oxyacetylene torches, they are used in industry and can reach very high temperatures, above 6.300°Farenheith (~3480° Celcius)

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I have a personal mod which mods some things in bob's mod. One thing I do is double the yield of the Nitrogen recipe (4 nitrogen, 1 oxygen), so that the cheapest way to get oxygen becomes extracting it from the air rather than electrolysis being cheaper. IRL it requires something like 50-100x the energy to get oxygen via electrolysis compared with compressed air. I also add a dry quench carbon recipe which uses nitrogen instead of water, basically as a nitrogen sink.

So my factories get oxygen from the atmosphere, and hydrogen mainly from petroleum gas cracking or as a byproduct of salt water electrolysis.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Hi BoB!

Why are the Lamps so expensive?
Im sitting long time in the dark!
Its possible to change the recipe from "Basic electronic boards" to "Basic circuit board"?
Or why it is this?

Thank you!
PS: The new graphics are really nice :D

rusk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rusk »

when make localisation 0.14 for ukrainian or rus?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

rusk wrote:when make localisation 0.14 for ukrainian or rus?
I have been leaving that up to Karosieben. I think the only reason why it wouldn't work is the factorio version line in info.json. If you changed that from 0.13 to 0.14, it should work.
I also have a Patreon.

Zelenka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zelenka »

Hello!
Great set of mods you've developed here. They've really changed the game for me and I don't think I could ever go back to vanilla. Thanks for all the effort you've put in.
I do have a question however. Is it at all possible to disable the gas venting research item and associated pump/recipes? I only ask because I've recently started using Flare Stack for my venting/destruction on my multiplayer server and would like to restrict venting to that means. I didn't see an option in your config mod so I thought I'd inquire about it.
Thanks again for the great mods!

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

Something with amethists lots of amethists. And cobalt steel. Just anough to spam my trains and wagons of hauling products from place to place. I was thinking putting in laser defences in,but if there is nothing similar to drain amethists it would be a bit shameful. Currently Amethyst is compound(comes with other gems) resource and only resource that has lowest amount of uses, while impossible not to produce. So something that is not full of amethyst target dummy would be nice.
maybe some automatic capsule despensing modules.(at least for lower grades like slowdown and poison.)

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

Zelenka wrote:Hello!
Great set of mods you've developed here. They've really changed the game for me and I don't think I could ever go back to vanilla. Thanks for all the effort you've put in.
I do have a question however. Is it at all possible to disable the gas venting research item and associated pump/recipes? I only ask because I've recently started using Flare Stack for my venting/destruction on my multiplayer server and would like to restrict venting to that means. I didn't see an option in your config mod so I thought I'd inquire about it.
Thanks again for the great mods!
Well you can do. It is most likely you need just delete or comment recipe of void pump. You would still have research but dunno if it is safe to mess commenting it.

Wishl1ng
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wishl1ng »

robot-lights for illuminstion of your base would be a nice feature!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Although I did mention it in my first post, the topic was kind of ignored due to bug reports... but...

I added equipment grids to Tanks and Trains.

Currently, you can't put any equipment in (Because I didn't allow armor equipment to be used, and I haven't added any new equipment yet).

Any suggestions? opinions?
I also have a Patreon.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

On the one hand. I have this "all the equipment in the game" desire so I can have a tank with a MK4 Fusion Reactor with MK6 shields and Laser Defenses out the wazoo.

On the other hand, OP. (of course MK5 Armor + the above is already powerful so....)

I know there are already mods that do it now, but electric vehicles would be awesome and roboports on trains would also be awesome. (PS if you do roboports on trains, please do MK2-4 mobile-Roboports that have large ranges + greater capacity)

Speed modules would be interesting. (turn a tank into a ferrari)
Armor modules? (though I'd prefer shields since they regenerate, armor modules might be nice for early when shields are impractical)

Chibiabos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chibiabos »

Hard to think of equipment module suggestions that haven't already been made or aren't already common -- faster, more weapons, etc. and shields. I think shields would be really great not only for helping attack aliens and the spawning nests, but for cutting through forests without fear of accruing too much damage from hitting trees or rocks. Would it be possible to have custom vehicle modules that, say, prevent mutual collision damage if you hit your own constructs like power poles, pipes, assemblers, etc. but still let you knock down trees and rocks? Maybe automated gun turrets, sniper turrets or flamethrower turrets?

There are a couple other things besides modules I'd like to mention ... there are some standard mods I think many of us have found essential to running your mods, namely the Map Labels mod to help find ore patches given that several of your ore patches are very, very hard to see on the mini-map, and the Auto Deconstruct Loot mod which automatically marks alien artifacts and mini-artifacts for deconstruction which makes alien farming a cinch. Unfortunately both of these mods have yet to make a .14-compatible update. The former is, I think, especially essential ... Galena has a habit of being virtually invisible on the mini-map and trying to distinguish some patches (like iron vs tin vs silver) is kinda challenging. Could you maybe consider expanding mods to include something like Map Labels and/or Auto Deconstruct Loot, or provide similar functionality with your mods?

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

bobingabout wrote:Although I did mention it in my first post, the topic was kind of ignored due to bug reports... but...

I added equipment grids to Tanks and Trains.

Currently, you can't put any equipment in (Because I didn't allow armor equipment to be used, and I haven't added any new equipment yet).

Any suggestions? opinions?
After thinking your mod has combat robots, but they are kinda dupes. Maybe they could launced from hangars and return into vichicles. At least light ones like cars. I wonder if there is possiblity make diffrent aura kinds of robots with weak laser pointer which does 0.001 damage, but around them change armor of biters, or change damages of drones or minions, or recharge shields, or alternatively covering in bubble shield nearby targets suffering for team.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Unfortunately, a combat robot that "returns to base" currently isn't possible, because they're pretty much hardcoded to die after a certain amount of time. (I tried, and failed)

A drone launching system that creates them from energy is possible though.

As for what I was thinking for modules... Well, Rather than just using armor modules in vehicles, I was thinking duplicate the functionallity of MOST of it (Maybe not things like the pulse defence) with different graphics, stats and names. As a good example... the Exoskeleton could be duplicated to an engine overdrive module, that looks like some sort of engine, or motor. Shields, batteries and Solar pannels would likely be pretty much the same, and Fussion Reactors could have different values, and sizes (EG, a 4x2 power unit, or 2x6 more powerful unit for those with the larger grids.)

On the subject of electric powered vehicles though... as test I created an electric powered locomotive, and placed a fussion reactor MK4 in it... it did not power the vehicle.

Assuming the hooks to read values of power grids have been properly programmed in, I could probably just have a script that transfers energy from the equipment grid, to the vehicle grid, though for this to work, the vehicle would need a small accumulator built in (Like the Laser turret, or Roboport)

It is worth a shot at attempting though.
I also have a Patreon.

Walayimuna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Walayimuna »

I would like to add another sugestion for the use of oxygen.

Add two recipes, the first one converts oxygen to ozone.

The second one uses ozone to reduce / remove polution.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Since pollution generation is determined by the machine, not the recipe, you'd require a unique machine to make some sort of cleaning facility.
I also have a Patreon.

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

bobingabout wrote:Unfortunately, a combat robot that "returns to base" currently isn't possible, because they're pretty much hardcoded to die after a certain amount of time. (I tried, and failed)

A drone launching system that creates them from energy is possible though.

As for what I was thinking for modules... Well, Rather than just using armor modules in vehicles, I was thinking duplicate the functionallity of MOST of it (Maybe not things like the pulse defence) with different graphics, stats and names. As a good example... the Exoskeleton could be duplicated to an engine overdrive module, that looks like some sort of engine, or motor. Shields, batteries and Solar pannels would likely be pretty much the same, and Fussion Reactors could have different values, and sizes (EG, a 4x2 power unit, or 2x6 more powerful unit for those with the larger grids.)

On the subject of electric powered vehicles though... as test I created an electric powered locomotive, and placed a fussion reactor MK4 in it... it did not power the vehicle.

Assuming the hooks to read values of power grids have been properly programmed in, I could probably just have a script that transfers energy from the equipment grid, to the vehicle grid, though for this to work, the vehicle would need a small accumulator built in (Like the Laser turret, or Roboport)

It is worth a shot at attempting though.
Hmm hangars could take combat robots in hangars and removed on launch, than if they are close to expiration time programmed to move onto vichicle, and destroyed manualy with reinserting robot back, or play some teleport animation and go to inventory if vichicle is clsoe enough.. There also could be limit to accept launch, so if robot is too busy or not in range it dies from expiration. Though how cpu consuming that operation would be. Maybe I don't understand something but so far limited time is not big hinderance in terms of implementing robots more of hinderence in terms of staying time. Also those laser bots, for me they seemed to last forever and run off the map pretty far I never checked where they expired but it was pretty far.

It was in sandbox so maybe it is related with sandbox.(used capsules ofc, from your mod.)
Or just turn into items on the ground if it is intent for them to only be destroyable by agression.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

Didnt find a proper thread for the research progress saver so I figure Ill just post it here.
Newest version of Factorio and got this message after a tech seem to be stuck close to completion for a while.
I started a new tech and then started the old one that was stuck, thats when I got this:

Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

Walayimuna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Walayimuna »

bobingabout wrote:Since pollution generation is determined by the machine, not the recipe, you'd require a unique machine to make some sort of cleaning facility.
Would it be possible to add this function to logistic robots?

Return to “Bob's mods”