[0.13.x] Bob's Revamp Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.13.x] Bob's Revamp Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

This is the mod that is supposed to integrate my mods more into the base game, and rearrange things to how I feel would make the game flow better.

The first instalment that some of you have already been playing with splits up the Oil processing tree into several parts.
Mining (Gathers the oil)
Oil Processing (turns crude oil into something more usable)
Chemical Processing (processes the useful oil parts)
Fuel Blocks (Well, they felt out of place sticking them on one of the others)

Phase 2 is in the works, and I'm starting where I left off, this is the list of changes so far:
* If Chlorine exists, plastic recipe requires Chlorine instead of coal.
* If Sulfur dioxide with recipe chain sulfur -> sulfur dioxide -> sulfuric acid exists, delete base game sulfuric acid recipe.
* Removed sulfur recipe from sulfur processing, and added alternate recipes to get sulfur from oil processing.

So, Sulfur is pretty much a complete re-write there, with both of the base game recipes being removed.
The Sulfur -> Sulfur Dioxide recipe is a new one being added to MCI, so only if the full chain is met (Sulfur Dioxide exists, and you can turn Sulfur into Sulfur Dioxide, and Sulfur Dioxide into Sulfuric Acid) will the recipe be deleted.
The plans for obtaining sulfur is to create a recipe for the oil processor that gives sulfur directly in the processing phase along with Heavy oil, Light oil and Petroleum gas.
Additional recipes if Sulfur Dioxide exists is that 3 additional recipes will be included that will remove one of the 3 normal oil products on the refinery, and replace it with sulfur dioxide. (Note, a recipe already exists in MCI to turn sulfur dioxide into sulfur)

Opinions? Ideas? Other ideas not mentioned here? Let me know.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.13.x] Bob's Revamp Mod.

Post by iamwyza »

Whatever the ultimate resolution is. It'd be nice to get some sort of processing tree setup so that we can follow it. I know I like visualizations of stuff, it helps me get inside the complexity of it.

If possible, I'd like more options to create some of the ore stuff using advanced processing. I know that (or at least believe that) you are trying to follow known chemistry/metallurgy. So if there are other ways to either improve a single product or do more dual products, that'd be nice.

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

I was already thinking of making an extra step for crude oil>sweet oil + sulfuric acid (a bit of a jump I know), and then from there sweet oil>advanced oil/etc.

Normal oil doesn't change.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

What means "if chlorine exists"? Chlorine already exists in bobplates mod, its very very important element in your mods and especially for electronics mod
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

Bob's mods are modulair, you don't have to use all of them.
If you just use modules, assembling machines and revamp there's no chlorine.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You can in theory use this mod by itself with none of my others installed, and it will make the changes that it can.

In fact I suggest you give that a try, see what it does to the oil industry without plates installed.
I also have a Patreon.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

bobingabout wrote:* If Chlorine exists, plastic recipe requires Chlorine instead of coal.
Realisticly speaking, I feel like coal/carbon is needed in plastic making... but if you feel it is benificial for the game flow I guess it
bobingabout wrote:The plans for obtaining sulfur is to create a recipe for the oil processor that gives sulfur directly in the processing phase along with Heavy oil, Light oil and Petroleum gas.
This might be a little hectic... I already need to manage 3 resources to not create bottlenecks in any; adding a fourth (and non-liquid) one would make a nice (or not?) puzzle.
bobingabout wrote:Additional recipes if Sulfur Dioxide exists is that 3 additional recipes will be included that will remove one of the 3 normal oil products on the refinery, and replace it with sulfur dioxide.
So I was a bit skeptical that sulfur actually is produced in oil refining directly, but I guess its a thing.

bobingabout wrote:Opinions? Ideas? Other ideas not mentioned here? Let me know.
Future Ideas:

*Revamp Warfare to integrate base game. The two distinct sources of similar ammunition, the base game's being absurdly simple, is something which throws me off immersion wise. I know the balancing will be difficult, so maybe replace the base game ammos with a single, well thought-out early-game ammunition which is high cost in basic resources (Maybe 3 iron, 1 copper, and some coal?) and very low damage (no peircing variant) and is some what realistic (basically avoid this: "my character can craft an entire magazine of of full metal jacket ammunition from a plate of cast iron with his hands in 1 second"; maybe force only assembler crafting (like for engines etc)). That makes teching into the warfare mod's weapons and ammo more imperative, falling in line with rising production/pollution due to biter threat increase. Atm, Im incentivized to stick to base game's simple ammo recipes the entire game, nullifying all the coolness from warfare :(

*Along with this, make basic gun turrets a bit more difficult to make as well. They have on-board targeting computers for heavens sake! I think adding some electronic elements to T1 turret recipes should be done. Maybe a basic circuit board? Maybe a whole new intermediate chain of turret electronic parts? Also, make them require a bit of electricity to function, and have a passive slight power draw for running thier targeting computers, if the modding system allows it. Though this is probably not possible with the turret's prototype idk. This might be more suited for the actual mod of warfare than the revamp mod now that i think about it...

Just some thoughts ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Aonova wrote:
bobingabout wrote:* If Chlorine exists, plastic recipe requires Chlorine instead of coal.
Realisticly speaking, I feel like coal/carbon is needed in plastic making... but if you feel it is benificial for the game flow I guess it
I actually thought solids and stuff would be used to make a solid... but no, every single plastic production process I looked up was actually made from petroleum gas, either directly, or with an additive, like Chlorine.
Aonova wrote:
bobingabout wrote:The plans for obtaining sulfur is to create a recipe for the oil processor that gives sulfur directly in the processing phase along with Heavy oil, Light oil and Petroleum gas.
This might be a little hectic... I already need to manage 3 resources to not create bottlenecks in any; adding a fourth (and non-liquid) one would make a nice (or not?) puzzle.
well, you still have the basic oil recipe.. I guess the best idea is that you use a circuit to control which machines are actually used to control the sulfur flow.
Aonova wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Opinions? Ideas? Other ideas not mentioned here? Let me know.
Future Ideas:

*Revamp Warfare to integrate base game. The two distinct sources of similar ammunition, the base game's being absurdly simple, is something which throws me off immersion wise. I know the balancing will be difficult, so maybe replace the base game ammos with a single, well thought-out early-game ammunition which is high cost in basic resources (Maybe 3 iron, 1 copper, and some coal?) and very low damage (no peircing variant) and is some what realistic (basically avoid this: "my character can craft an entire magazine of of full metal jacket ammunition from a plate of cast iron with his hands in 1 second"; maybe force only assembler crafting (like for engines etc)). That makes teching into the warfare mod's weapons and ammo more imperative, falling in line with rising production/pollution due to biter threat increase. Atm, Im incentivized to stick to base game's simple ammo recipes the entire game, nullifying all the coolness from warfare :(
I'm sure this one is something that needs a lot of warfare work too, not just a revamp.
I also have a Patreon.

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cpw »

I hope the war changes are optional. Factorio is a game about factories, not some weird alien monster survival horror.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Bob? do u know another ways to get plastics?
We need it to:
1) Electronics (to a greater extent)
1.1) Module cases
1.2) Transistors
1.3) Boards
1.4) Processors
2) Batteries
3) Laser ammo cases

As we can see we need a LOT of plastics nad we need a LOT of petrolium gas and we must remember to farm coal ;)
if u remember treefram had some new ways to get plastics throw the bio technolgies

Any new ideas about plastics?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

An idea for revamp:

Complete integration of item/recipe orginization in menus. Meaning have a revamp option to incorporate bobplates/etc items into the vanilla game item categories in a intuative manner, like having, for example, higher tier transport belts organized with the vanilla. There was a mod "Shinybob/Extrachests" which attempted to do this, if you wanted reference to what I mean. Intuative=better!

Just an idea ;)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I can't play bob's mods without shinybobs reorganizing of the crating menu.

And the tiered graphics are a bonus too!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I must admit that having vanilla items on 1 tab, and my stuff on another does make things a little awkward to find sometimes. like how the battery is in intermediates, but MK2 and MK3 are on the Bob Intermediates tab. Copper, Iron and Steel are in intermediates, my metals are in the resources tab... etc.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

bobingabout wrote:does make things a little awkward to find sometimesmost of the time
Fixed :)

for me its tab no tab no tab OMG it was on the last tab .... or was it...... tab

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Nexela wrote:
bobingabout wrote:does make things a little awkward to find sometimesmost of the time
Fixed :)

for me its tab no tab no tab OMG it was on the last tab .... or was it...... tab
I'd recommend ctrl+f especially if you know what are you looking for.
(It is confusing at times to find stuff around especially if vanilla and bob's upgrade are in different places)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

orzelek wrote:I'd recommend ctrl+f especially if you know what are you looking for.
Still training myself on that! So used to to doing the tab tab damn move from .12 though :)

Requia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Requia »

aklesey1 wrote:Bob? do u know another ways to get plastics?
We need it to:
1) Electronics (to a greater extent)
1.1) Module cases
1.2) Transistors
1.3) Boards
1.4) Processors
2) Batteries
3) Laser ammo cases

As we can see we need a LOT of plastics nad we need a LOT of petrolium gas and we must remember to farm coal ;)
if u remember treefram had some new ways to get plastics throw the bio technolgies

Any new ideas about plastics?
There's no way around the need for ethylene (the major component of petroleum gas) for vinyl plastics, but dehydrading a mix of ethanol and sulphuric acid makes it (this has never been industrialized). You'll need a source of ethanol, which is made industrially from... ethylene. Yeah. Though in principle if there was some reliable source of acid that wasn't oil industrialized fermentation might work, its even possible to ferment wood into ethanol good enough for fuel (drinking it would still be an extraordinarily bad idea, *also* requires acid).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, we have lots of sulphuric acid, perhaps even too much.
I'd guess light oils and such would... oh wait, what's the point, you could probably just do most of this with cracking, Then use a gas recipe.
I also have a Patreon.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

I haven't started testing the revamp mod yet, so if this is already part of it, I apologize.

I just "finished" probably my 3rd or 4th playthrough of Bob's. One thing I've noticed is that launching the rocket is too easy with Bob's. It doesn't really require most of the highest level stuff. I think you can do it without blue science (or any of the special alien sciences), without Nitonol or tungsten. I think that building and launching the rocket/satellite should include needing those end game components.

Just my .02 cents.

Requia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Requia »

Thought, instead of straight up reducing steel from 5 to 2 iron plates leave the default recipe in, and add a chemical furnace recipe for charcoal or coke necessary to get the 2 iron to 1 steel recipe.

Return to “Bob's mods”