Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

0.14 of my mods incorporate some of the changes in here already. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace something I've already replaced, but it would be unneeded.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Nice.

Just started 0.14 up and looked through the mod list with incompatible versions.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Necriptos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Necriptos »

Hey everyone following this thread,

i'm working on the modules currently, just updated my electronics on the portal to 0.14, will post as a separate mod when it's ready sorry for me being so late

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Hey everyone. I finally returned to Factorio after getting addicted to Rimworld for a few weeks. I see Bob updated his mod to .14, so I did the same for my graphics patch, which can be found in the same link as always (I refuse to put it on mod portal for... reasons).

I also see that he included some of the graphics provided in my patch mod. You can still use my patch mod on top of the updated bobs mods, since I still have some new graphics on top of what bob implemented in the core mods, for example solder and tech icons which he used the older versions of.

The core mods have some cool new item graphics (e.g. electronic components, cpus) which my patch mod overrides however. If you prefer the original, feel free to comment out lines from the "data-updates.lua" file using "--" before the line.

Anywho, I will continue to update my patch mod. In the future, look at the newest version of the mod to pull graphics from if anyone wishes to use, as those will be the most refined.
Last edited by Aonova on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Electrolyzer Tech Icons
"Begone pixelated water drop!"
electrolyzer_4.png
electrolyzer_4.png (66.85 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
Link to Source Icons

Updated in my patch mod, as always.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Greenhouse Tech Tree Icons
"Now with 100% less stock images!"
Fertiliser Tech
Fertiliser Tech
tech icon 2.png (66.85 KiB) Viewed 10247 times
Link to source icons
Updated in my patch mod v0.14.1.

Metalface7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Metalface7 »

I am interested in contributing to this project. I'm decent at creating materials in blender, so I'll see what I can do about some of the icons. Maybe even tech icons.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I've been wondering what happened to this project, it has been quite quiet for a while.
I also have a Patreon.

Metalface7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Metalface7 »

I've [semi] finished high-res icons for all of the real metals (I'm planning to do some wierd stuff for the alien metals); I didn't want to post all of them, so below is a preview of the brass icon. You can find the rest on my flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/135571020 ... 8363662632

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

An interesting set.
Although I do like all of the models (Except Silicon, The contrast is too high, it's also a little bit too much of a cylinder, the end probably shouldn't be so flat) I'm not sure about the colour combinations for them all, and also the model doesn't quite fit what I'd match to the metal.

There's lots of silvers, greys, and yellows in there, but not much else. You might notice that a lot of my icons are far more colourful than the actual metal, such as Cobalt being Blue. Now, I KNOW cobalt metal isn't actually blue (The cobalt oxide powder isn't even blue, it's black, the picture I used is actually of cobalt aluminate, also known as Cobalt Blue), The main reason why my ingot graphic is blue, is because people quite quickly and easily associate Cobalt with the colour blue.

Now, I'm not going to go into the full details of specific changes I might want you to make because I'm currently at work (There are a couple of metals I would like you to use a different model for), But, although I do like the general result of this work, I think the main issue is making each metal stand out, and appear more unique, via colours.

Remember, although you can quite easily see the finish (I noticed Polished shiney, polished to grain, or just rough and scratched), their most prominent presented form will be in smaller sizes, like 32x32, and I don't think these finer details would stand out enough.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be picky, It's just that one of the biggest complaints I get is about things looking too much like each other. I think using the icons as they are now would be a step backwards to tackling this particular issue.
I also have a Patreon.

Metalface7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Metalface7 »

bobingabout wrote:Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be picky, It's just that one of the biggest complaints I get is about things looking too much like each other. I think using the icons as they are now would be a step backwards to tackling this particular issue.
That's exactly why I asked for feedback. I can easily tweak colors in the materials, and making models for stuff like ingots and girders is a breeze. I wanted to somewhat mimic the look of the real-world metals, while also bringing out some of the colors of the elements in the alloys a bit. But you're right in that in real life, almost every metal is basically gray which makes things difficult.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'll try to remember to take a look when I'm not at work, but I do like the different types you've made so far. Plate "Bar" (Which is actually a type of ingot), Ingot, and several different girders.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

To point out an example.... look at this topic viewtopic.php?f=38&t=41815&start=40#p245636

none of the base game ores are the right colour, except maybe coal.

Okay then, lets see...

Bronze is okay. Brass I'd make look like a dirty yellow version of the bronze plate, and gunmetal a golder version of it (Which it is).

silver, gold, electrum are okay, cobalt I'd make bluer. Lithium a turquoisey coloured version of this same ingot, like your recoloured ingot from before. Aluminium, I'd make lighter than tin personally.

That's just for starters, I'll have to revisit this again later, unless you want to make a few changes and ask me again?
I also have a Patreon.

Metalface7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Metalface7 »

bobingabout wrote:To point out an example.... look at this topic viewtopic.php?f=38&t=41815&start=40#p245636

none of the base game ores are the right colour, except maybe coal.

Okay then, lets see...

Bronze is okay. Brass I'd make look like a dirty yellow version of the bronze plate, and gunmetal a golder version of it (Which it is).

silver, gold, electrum are okay, cobalt I'd make bluer. Lithium a turquoisey coloured version of this same ingot, like your recoloured ingot from before. Aluminium, I'd make lighter than tin personally.

That's just for starters, I'll have to revisit this again later, unless you want to make a few changes and ask me again?
I've already started working on some of the changes you just mentioned (I could guess at some of them). I've also started working on the alien stuff, glow effects and all - they're going to be a hex pattern kind of plate.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Makes sense. I considered actually making a metal of all 7 colours (Alien, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple), but it just felt a little Silly to make a metal out of what is effectively poison, flame fuel or liquid explosive. The Electric type could be interesting as some sort of Alien tier battery component.
I also have a Patreon.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

If anyone is wondering about the lack of progress by me, I'll just say I've been holding off on Factorio awaiting 0.15 :P

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Aonova wrote:If anyone is wondering about the lack of progress by me, I'll just say I've been holding off on Factorio awaiting 0.15 :P

Can't wait when you say 0.16 :P <3

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Oh. I didn't know this thread was a thing. I have a bunch of icons I made a while ago to replace some of the dodgier icons in Bob's Warfare if you want them bob.

Disclaimer: I have no idea where the stock images I used for the bullets came from, but pretty sure they're from a public image library somewhere since the originals are chilling in my stock image folder.

Cartridge types from left to right: Basic, Acid, AP, Electric, Incendiary, Explosive, Poison

Bullets:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Shotgun Shells:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bullet Components:
ImageImage Image ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage

Magazines:

Forget what I was using these for. Presumably the techs:
Dunno really
I'll probably make some much less MS paint looking rockets as well some time today/tomorrow, so I'll post those too when I make 'em I suppose. Feel free to take any and all of these and do what you will with them.

I bloody love your mods Bob. Keep up the awesome work.

EDIT: RAR with all the pictures:
Attachments
BobWarfareIcons.rar
(212.35 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Necriptos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Necriptos »

CitizenJoe wrote:Oh. I didn't know this thread was a thing. I have a bunch of icons I made a while ago to replace some of the dodgier icons in Bob's Warfare if you want them bob.

Disclaimer: I have no idea where the stock images I used for the bullets came from, but pretty sure they're from a public image library somewhere since the originals are chilling in my stock image folder.

Cartridge types from left to right: Basic, Acid, AP, Electric, Incendiary, Explosive, Poison

Bullets:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Shotgun Shells:

Bullet Components:
ImageImage Image ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage

Magazines:

Forget what I was using these for. Presumably the techs:
Dunno really
I'll probably make some much less MS paint looking rockets as well some time today/tomorrow, so I'll post those too when I make 'em I suppose. Feel free to take any and all of these and do what you will with them.

I bloody love your mods Bob. Keep up the awesome work.

EDIT: RAR with all the pictures:
Hey CitizenJoe, those look really nice, if bob doesn't want to use them when he update bob's warfare, can i use them into my "bob's mod alternate textures" mod ?

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Necriptos wrote:Hey CitizenJoe, those look really nice, if bob doesn't want to use them when he update bob's warfare, can i use them into my "bob's mod alternate textures" mod ?
Sure, feel free. I'll be cleaning them up and posting some more stuff at some point just FYI.

Return to “Bob's mods”