[0.13.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

marcelgrilo
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.13.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by marcelgrilo »

bobingabout wrote:
marcelgrilo wrote:My Long inserters have gone on last update.....
Inserters 0.13.2
There's a conversation about that in the logistics page.

the latest update of the logistics mod removed long inserter (well, it was 0.13.5, but that was deleted because of a game breaking bug, and you had 0.13.6 and 0.13.7 since)

Before you update the logistics mod, you need to install the inserter migration mod, load game, save game, remove that mod and update.

the instructions are here.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6987&start=410#p186769

you should be able to download any old versions on the linked pages.
Also, you have to use the adjustable inserters mod to make long inserters for now, but I'll be adding something to Logistics to compensate.
If you've saved the game since you updated, that save can't be migrated anymore.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

bobingabout wrote:
Ratzap wrote:Bob: Did the steam engines change water usage in 0.13?
Yes. The first post on the power mod page lists the new ratios.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4831#p36792

Basically, to make them produce more power, and consume less water so you could have more on a chain, the steam engines had an efficiency of 200% and 400%. I've changed this so they consume more water instead, so their efficiencies are 110% and 120%. You still get more power from the same amount of water, but the change is effectively a move from "you get lots more energy" to "space saver". An upgrade is still worth it though, because the new totals bring the productivity up from 50% with a MK1 boiler and MK1 steam engine to 96% with a MK4 boiler and MK3 steam engine.
Ok, no idea why I didn't notice this happening before.

Slayer1557
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Slayer1557 »

orzelek wrote:
Slayer1557 wrote:I listed every mod I'm using, so no, nothing that adds a lot of textures. Graphics memory usage is set to 'high'. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB of video card memory. I'll try turning my memory usage to 'All' later (I have to go to work right now), but could that affect the rest of my computer?
It has been shown by few people that memory usage all is much better if you have the VRAM for it. And all in this case means all as needed so no risk for your computer. In some cases it also speeds up the game load significantly.
My game load is already VERY fast. Autosaving is near instant (Which it why I wondered for a long while why people would turn off autosaving :P )

I set memory usage to All, but I'm still getting FPS/UPS slowdowns. It's not consistent. Sometimes, it's ok, other times I'm going at half speed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have a similar computer, or at least similar graphics card. Even I get FPS slowdown every now and then.

Also for some odd reason my computer keeps setting the screen refresh rate to 59hz instead of 60.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Slayer1557
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Slayer1557 »

bobingabout wrote:I have a similar computer, or at least similar graphics card. Even I get FPS slowdown every now and then.

Also for some odd reason my computer keeps setting the screen refresh rate to 59hz instead of 60.
I suppose. I'm just wondering how the mods make that big of a difference on performance.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nothing that I can think of. Sure it loads a few extra graphics, but with a 4GB card, that's nothing (My entire mod collection is a few dozen megabytes, the game is over 100MB just in the graphics.)

Most of the things in my mod are basically just base game entities with new graphics and different values set, it's nothing really all that special, most of the magic and scripting is done on load time, so when you get in the game, it's done and gone.

The only mods that have active scripts are Techsave, Clock, Logistics, and Adjustable Inserters.
Logistics doesn't even have an on_tick script, and only does something when you place a valve.
Techsave just copies one variable on_tick, and Adjustable inserters checks to see if a GUI exists, and if it does, if you're still in range of the entity, if not it closes it. And the clock... just calculates the game time and updates the caption of the clock button every tick, all very minor stuff, nothing that could cause a slowdown.
I also have a Patreon.

marcelgrilo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by marcelgrilo »

Just a question, is there any way to complete the lazy bastard achievement using bobsmod?? my calculations extrapolate 111 crafts

appex213
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by appex213 »

bobingabout wrote:
appex213 wrote:I'm trying to edit a save map, but when I try to play it (after editing it) I get this:
I only have Bob's mods installed, and using Factorio 13.9

Also, is it possible to enable the old recipes for water and lithia water from the pump? I tried changing the config.lua setting EnableGroundWater to true but it didn't do anything.
Well, the only thing I can really sugest about editing the save game is that you must have done it wrong? because... well...I dunno.
What can I be doing wrong? I'm using this command to turn the save into a scenario:

Code: Select all

factorio.exe --map2scenario Map3
And then editing it in the map editor.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

marcelgrilo wrote:Just a question, is there any way to complete the lazy bastard achievement using bobsmod?? my calculations extrapolate 111 crafts
No, I just did it in a fresh save and building the assembler 1 takes you to 111/111 and since you still have at least the assembler 2 to build, that's a no.

However, if you add KS_Power and use the burner generator (it generates 101kW, assembler 1 requires 102kW - yellow bar but it works) to do the initial work instead of a pump/boiler/engine combo, you can save 10 crafts. Of course you might say that's a mod too far but then again, it's a legit mod like Bobs and was made for just such start up loads. It's a pretty damn tedious start up making the amount of research needed to unlock chemical furnaces for carbon, metal mixers for solder etc but you could do it.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

As a follow up to my last post. I went through the process and ended up with an assembler 2 at 106/111 using the KS_power burner generator instead of the standard power chain. That would be enough left to finish it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think one of the things I really need to implement soon is a burner powered assembler... It has been possible for quite some time now, the issue is balance, and actually just doing it.

I'm sure it would cut down a few steps, because you could just use burner powered assembling to build your power plant, and other things between that and assembly 2.
I also have a Patreon.

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

Is it really needed though? Usually you can get electricity within ten minutes of starting a new map. Especially since everything one needs is available right from the start, without any additional research. One can stack the burners with fuel manually if needed. I don't even use burner inserters.

One scenario I could think of would be a map without any poodles of water. Chemical processing would be difficult but not impossible, I guess. If we can transport crude oil from afar in barrels, we could do the same with water.

On a second thought - I actually used burner inserters quite a while ago when attempting to play with a Marathon mod. In that scenario electricity was really far off from the start. Hmm... while we are on the subject - how about building a marathon mode (some version of it, configurable with a switch obviously) into Bob's mods? It would be enough to change cost of some initial items and everything else would follow.

Ath

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ath, the current conversation was the "Lazy bastard" achievement, which involves...... Okay, I don't know the objective, but you have to get there while building less than 111 items, and with the current setup of bob's mods by itself, without other mods changing things, is currently impossible due to the amount of things you have to build before you can make an assembling machine 2. A burner powered assembling machine would cut down on a lot of these hand crafts.

I mean, how many gears and pipes do you have to make to make a steam generator? even if you can't make the generator itself in the machine, just building the pipes and gears would save several crafts.

There's also the question of if the burner assembling machine should be available from the start or not. If you need to research it, then you'll need a burner powered lab too.
I also have a Patreon.

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

bobingabout wrote:Ath, the current conversation was the "Lazy bastard" achievement, which involves...... Okay, I don't know the objective, but you have to get there while building less than 111 items, and with the current setup of bob's mods by itself, without other mods changing things, is currently impossible due to the amount of things you have to build before you can make an assembling machine 2. A burner powered assembling machine would cut down on a lot of these hand crafts.
Mods disable achievements though, right? Why would it really matter if any mod "Disables" an achievement.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Mods disable steam achievements. local achievements are still available.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

I would still rather see some basic burner(duh) boiler that just gives off some small amount of electricity, I mean like for the "realism" part of your mod, which is awesome, this solution with burner machine feels way out of the place. But yeah, it would have to super cheap to be even viable, to help with the achievement thing. I don't suppose you can mix the two aspects together :)

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

Ah, got it.

However, is it still worth doing it, though? Wouldn't it clutter the already crowded crafting screen just for one achievement? Probably it wouldn't be used much in normal gameplays.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

bobingabout wrote:Ath, the current conversation was the "Lazy bastard" achievement, which involves...... Okay, I don't know the objective, but you have to get there while building less than 111 items, and with the current setup of bob's mods by itself, without other mods changing things, is currently impossible due to the amount of things you have to build before you can make an assembling machine 2. A burner powered assembling machine would cut down on a lot of these hand crafts.
That would indeed cut the requirement down drastically. The main build count comes from circuit boards and iron gear wheels. If there were a burner assembler (like the ones that the no hand craft mod implements) then that would do the job. If you're getting into the spirit of it, you could add a 'no hand crafting' config option at the same time. Half the battle (for me anyway) while doing the lazy bastard was preventing myself from clicking on the build items while looking up recipes. It's very easy to blow the limit with a thoughtless click and you're looking at a reload.
WoodyDaOcas wrote:I would still rather see some basic burner(duh) boiler that just gives off some small amount of electricity, I mean like for the "realism" part of your mod, which is awesome, this solution with burner machine feels way out of the place. But yeah, it would have to super cheap to be even viable, to help with the achievement thing. I don't suppose you can mix the two aspects together :)
Why bother? This is exactly what you get with KS_power which I mentioned earlier. You should be using KS_power anyway because it's a good mod :) Well, apart from the wind turbines, we shall not speak of those.
Athmagor wrote: However, is it still worth doing it, though? Wouldn't it clutter the already crowded crafting screen just for one achievement? Probably it wouldn't be used much in normal gameplays.
It's more the challenge of it, the achievement simply gives you a way to track it like a scoreboard. You might like to try it yourself, building the whole lot without hand crafting teaches you quite a bit about the whole production chain and efficient layout. It can also be highly frustrating (tip, don't mix doing it and the no logistics at the same time - painful).

AbyssalMage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AbyssalMage »

How do water pump jacks work?

i have RSO BTW

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Water pump jacks need to be placed on water spots. They look like blue oil spots.

Return to “Bob's mods”