[0.13.x][0.13.3] Bob's Tweaks mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

mohreb
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][0.12.2] Bob's Tweaks mod

Post by mohreb »

Hi,
i tried out and really like it, it takes away much of the, where "the heck i find it" moments. On the other hand, for my personal use i still have some issues (as using other mods next to bob's ones).
So to solve the remaining issues and to re-arrange the recipies i just need to add, lines in your mod with :
data.raw.item["Name of the item"].subgroup = "anything" (if new declaring it before of cours in data extend)
or
data.raw["item-subgroup"]["nam of the item"].order = a string taken in alphabetical order

or something along those lines?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

that would effectively put everything on the same tab.
Probably a better solution is just to wait for 0.13, that adds search mode?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mohreb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mohreb »

Ah sorry for the confusing way of writing it, i took it as an example, the question was mostly if those properties are the only things affecting menu placements or not?
Anyway, thank you so much for this great mod Bob. I guess 0.13 is not that far away now, maybe i'll see what can be done (to make that perfect mod selection for me :D ) at that time ...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Oh, right. Kinda.

There are 3 sorting methods.
First, what tab it is on, this tab has an order code itself. However, the inventory sort order has a different code than the tab position... and I havn't been able to work out if the tab position code even has a logical order. I'm not sure how this effects inventory order either...
Second, what line within the tab it is on, This again has an order code. They will always apear in the order of top to bottom.
Third, the item itself will have an order code, This decides it's placement on the row, as well as placement in your inventory.

I'm fairly, but not 100% sure that all the items within a tab will apear grouped together in that order in your inventory, just that the tabs themselves may be out of order in your inventory when compared to the crafting screen.

Also... it's better to look at the item filters menu, not the crafting menu... they're both different. The item filters menu lists items, where the crafting menu lists recipes, and a recipe has a different code, and can be placed on a different line, of a different tab than the item itself.
A good example of what I mean is with some of my chemical based intermediates. the item filters catagorise it by what it is (chemical, resource, etc), where the crafting menu catagorises it by where it's made (furnace, electroliser, assembling machine, etc)
I also have a Patreon.

SkyFyre42
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SkyFyre42 »

Just wanted to pop in and say I have tried both this and Extra Chests, and find the latter's color scheme and tab ordering to be much more intuitive coming from vanilla (or maybe just in general).
I also think the prereqs are a bit too restrictive. Just because I can't craft EVERYTHING after getting a research because of missing prereqs doesn't always mean I still don't want 1 or 2 of the other things from it soon... Can't think of a good example now but that issue came up more than once.
Using both at once causes odd things to occur as well I think, so going with EC for now xD

Nice mod overall though! Also here to thank the author of this mod for some source code I just made use of ^^

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

I finally got around to start playing version 13.* Didn't even attempt to play vanilla, straight to Bob's mods. :D
After getting my head around the changes, I had a first stab at updating the Tweaks to version 13.* as well. For the time being - just reordering bits across tabs. Everything else is commented out.

Let me know if you miss hard technology requirements the previous versions of Tweaks had.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.13.x][0.13.0] Bob's Tweaks mod

Post by bobingabout »

I'd just say to watch out for the inserter changes, Depending which version of my mods you're playing, inserters have changed a lot. Everything else relatively minor.
I also have a Patreon.

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

Yes, and I love those changes! Great job on the inserter configuration GUI! Makes you wonder why it has not been part of the base game.
Took me a while, though, to figure out there is a Mods tab in the keybinding configuration section, to change the inserter GUI opener to CTRL+LMB. ;)

I'm playing using the newest versions (as of yesterday).

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

New version - 13.1! Lots of changes, internal and functional. Reworked all code to use new library functions (bobingabout - I added a few reordering / subgrouping functions. If you find them useful please feel free to get them to your modules [revamp?]). All the Bob's mods dependencies are now optional so the Tweaks can be used in combination of Bob's mods.
Also, following Bobingabout's example, the functionality is now governed by a config switches, so you guys can choose what you want enabled.

Config values and section descriptions:
  • TweakResearch - if set to true, it will put additional research dependencies and introduce separate pure research technologies (that give science packs)
  • TweakOrder - if set to true, it will reorder items in the crafting and filtering screens
  • TweakRecipies - if set to true, it will slightly tweak some recipies to put addional ingrediens (mostly for consistency), namely:
    • higher level belts, splitters, and underground belts require lubricants
    • 3rd level modules require 5 module contacts each (still don't know why they are missing this ingredient)
  • New! A marathon mode
    • MarathonRecipies - if set to true, the initial recipies are much more costly in terms of raw ingredients. Everything that uses them become exponentially more costly. It's not as punishing as the original Marathon Mod, but still..
    • MarathonLowerFuelEnergy - if set to true, wood and coal have their fuel energy halved. Makes solid fuel and ultimately solar power much more desired.
    • MarathonResearch - if set to true, all technology research unit cost (those bundles of red, green, and other science packs) is multiplied by a value in MarathonResearchMultiplier config key (by default it's set to 5)
Marathon modes are independent, i.e. you can have just increased research cost without running into resource problems or any other combination. I'm going to attempt a new gameplay with everything enabled. I expect to be humbled and punished for my audacity ;)
Last edited by Athmagor on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.x][0.13.1] Bob's Tweaks mod

Post by BlakeMW »

I noticed this mod removes the long handed inserter. That's not cool. I know that inserter configuration allows making other inserter types go long, but the long handed inserter is about 25% faster than a basic inserter while being a lot cheaper than a fast, it also happens to be exactly half the speed of a fast inserter and finally and most importantly I love the visual diversity of having red inserters and also the clarity that "red (generally) means long" adds to builds.

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

Huh, you are right. Thanks for pointing that out. It is indeed slightly faster. I never really paid that much attention as I usually quickly progressed to fast inserters family.

I assumed they were of the same speed and were probably going to be removed due to new inserter configuration. I will bring it back in the next version.

And of course - thank you for trying this mod out :D

My playthrough with marathon punished me, I guess the multipliers are still set too high for a game that is more challenging but not to a point of drudgery.

PS. If you want to have it brought back before then, find "long-handed-inserter" and comment that line out. You would have to refresh the recipies, probably, though.

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

New version - 13.2!

Changes:
  • TweakRecipies:
    • Long handed inserters unlock are moved to "Long Inserters 1" tech from "Automation"
    • Filter inserters unlock is moved to "Logistics" from "Electronics"
    • Military 3 no longer requires "Rocketry" as a prerequisite
  • Marathon Lower Fuel Energy:
    • Carbon has now 2MJ of energy (halved)
  • Marathon Recipies:
    • Introduced a new config key - MarathonRecipiesMultiplier. The value will multiply the base cost values of the following items:
      • Basic plates (iron, copper, lead, etc.)
      • Copper cable and steel plate (base is 2)
      • Basic inserter and basic transport belt
      • Red, green and blue science packs
    • The default value of the key is 2. With 3, the exponential cost of everything makes the gameplay more punishable (especially with marathon research).
I've been playing the whole yesterday with every config key enabled and having lots of fun. The progress is much slower and problems with throughput and ability to supply the factory with raw ingredients appear much earlier - at the level of green science automation. Higher cost of items combined with marathon research makes choosing technologies to research much more important - long are the times of researching something just to have the factory something to do.

You might want to bump the richness of the ore deposits one notch - on medium setting I'm expecting to run out of the initial area deposits (copper and iron) just in time to get the railway researched (I just hope I will have enough steel to build tracks :|)

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.13.x][0.13.2] Bob's Tweaks mod

Post by aeros1 »

Actually there one thing I'd like to see less dead end recipes. Some recipes you need just few. Cobalt steel, amethyst. LAst one is even worse.
All other gems are mostly go on laser turrets and modules. But Amethyst do nothing.
Laser rifle batteries, laser defence and god modules.
God modules disabled and laser defence and laser rifle batteries you can use only so many. Probablysome mines or lures or walls anything. Well there is chest of amethyst ore works. But from time to time it has to be destroyed and replaced.

Edit: about petrochemicals. there is angel's mod for this in progress. Maybe integrating it and adding recipes with use of those intermediates would be better though it is up to you. Maybe you have your own ideas.

TehFocus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TehFocus »

Is this compatible with the current version of bobsmods? I might give it a try if it is.

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

TehFocus wrote:Is this compatible with the current version of bobsmods? I might give it a try if it is.
Yes, it is. I haven't downloaded the newest inserter version (actually it's in the logistics mod) as I'm waiting for it to stabilize a bit. Here's a list of currently installed mod versions I'm using:
bobassembly_0.13.0
bobconfig_0.13.1
bobelectronics_0.13.1
bobelectronics_gfxtweak_0.13.0
bobenemies_0.13.1
bobgreenhouse_0.13.2
bobinserters_0.13.3
boblibrary_0.13.1
boblogistics_0.13.7
bobmining_0.13.1
bobmodules_0.13.0
bobores_0.13.1
bobplates_0.13.2
bobpower_0.13.1
bobrevamp_0.13.0
bobtech_0.13.0
bobtechsave_0.13.0
bobtweaks_0.13.3
bobwarfare_0.13.4

When you download, you might want to unzip it and check out the config file and perhaps activate/deactivate sections.

Personally I'm playing with everything enabled, including a marathon mode and enjoying additional challenge immensely, having clocked 94 hours on this save. When a technology research routinely takes 500-1000 units of science packs, while each science pack is twice as costly, slows down the gameplay and each technology research is a conscious choice. I have burned through at least 0.5mln units of iron and copper ore each. Depleting rich ore deposits is a thing.

Well, I hope you'll enjoy whichever combination you enable :)

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

New version - 13.3

Changes:
  • Added missing technology prerequisite for Advanced Logistics
  • Split turrets into separate rows (flamethrower, gun, sniper, laser)
  • Split robots parts into separate rows (construction, logistics, combat)
  • Tidied up empty barrel, canister and bottle in filter and recipe screens
  • Separated fill and empty barrel of alien fluids into separate rows
  • Science pack 4 cost is multiplied in the Marathon mode (similar to other science packs)

Mike Rosoft
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.13.x][0.13.3] Bob's Tweaks mod

Post by Mike Rosoft »

Are you planning to make a 0.14 version?

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

Mike Rosoft wrote:Are you planning to make a 0.14 version?
Yes I am, probably this weekend. I guess v14 took everyone by surprise, especially with the development of 13x still active.
I withheld upgrading so far as I've been fairly close to completing my current marathon playthrough:
Playthrough.png
Playthrough.png (42.69 KiB) Viewed 8761 times
which I've been enjoying immensely. The research is done, the only thing left is actually to launch the rocket, which at this point should take about 5 minutes of gameplay.

As for the mod, there is a short list of changes to make, like reorder a few things - pumpjacks, for example. This is planned for the weekend. Then I'll upgrade bob's' and Factorio itself. I will probably have to support 2 Factorio versions of the mod, though :/

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ElderAxe »

Looking for a mod like this for 0.15

Is this mod dead ?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DarkElder wrote:Looking for a mod like this for 0.15

Is this mod dead ?
I don't think he even got around to finishing it for 0.13.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”