Bob mods for 0.12 General Topic.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Robotic Intermediates would be useful for Logistics and Warfare. Should I:

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Mirror the research and intermediates in both mods.
6%
Create a new Robotic Overhaul and expansion mod. (Similar in style to the Electronics mod, which Logistics and Warfare use for their robots)
45%
Place the new intermediates in a common mod (The Intermediates part of Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod)
48%

Total votes: 31

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bob mods for 0.12

Post by Degraine »

You're not the only one, netmc. I can handmine coal and receive some diamond ore, but automated mining produces only coal, when outputting onto a belt or into a chest. It was working in 0.12 so maybe a bug was introduced in 0.12.1?

Ezzue
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezzue »

bobingabout wrote:You only usually have to do that when icons change, or sometimes when you have errors, like this case. To be honest the file isn't even important, it just saves a few seconds during loading time.

What that file is... the game scans an icon for empty space around the image, then "crops" the empty space out, this then saves video RAM and reduces drawing times in game (Because it isn't drawning empty space). it then stores the new dimensions in that file, so next time you load the game, it just loads the crop cache file and crops the images using the stored data so it doesn't have to processes every icon image again.
That makes sense. Thank you very much for your help and for the explaination!
I extremely enjoy your mod! :D

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Mysteriously, now that I have Mining loaded in Factorio as well now, I'm getting gems from ores via miners again. Did you cut and paste some code from Ores that you shouldn't have, Bob?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Degraine wrote:Mysteriously, now that I have Mining loaded in Factorio as well now, I'm getting gems from ores via miners again. Did you cut and paste some code from Ores that you shouldn't have, Bob?
Bob wrote about this already - upgrade of mining drills is in bobmining not in bobores - it'll be fixed.
Default mining drills need to be changed to allow for more output slots to produce various ores. I didn't see diamonds from coal tho - I did play only short game.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

yup, I wrote about the mining issues here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 270#p96376
bobingabout wrote:unless they've changed the tag, this should make it work

Code: Select all

for i, drill in pairs(data.raw["mining-drill"]) do
  if not drill.storage_slots then drill.storage_slots = 6 end
end
It's part of bobmining, I'll add it to bobores too. in 0.12.2

if you don't want to use mining, add that code to data-updates.lua of bobores
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

netmc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by netmc »

Thanks. I have mining loaded now. Somehow I had missed it when downloading all the mods.

I notice this takes a lot of wood to create circuits. Which mod works best in conjunction--treefarm lite, tree farm-ac or greenhouse?

Any other recommended mods that work well with Bob's?

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

netmc wrote:Thanks. I have mining loaded now. Somehow I had missed it when downloading all the mods.

I notice this takes a lot of wood to create circuits. Which mod works best in conjunction--treefarm lite, tree farm-ac or greenhouse?

Any other recommended mods that work well with Bob's?

I use tree farm AC. You can also use petroleum based synthetic wood.

Some of the mods i am using are:
Harder Energy
The famous No Crafting Challenge
Resource spawner overhaul (RSO)
FARL

allex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by allex »

Your mod is awesome :)
I have a very very large factory with 40h of gameplay...

Maybe you should balance the amount of gems, it's way too easy to have 100k of each.
I'm planning to restart a new map, with rare on all ore, i guess it will be more interesting.
ps : god modules are "a bit" too powerfull.

Otherwise no bugs, everything is fine .. good work! thanks!
( sorry, my english is not so good )

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Add RSO.. and start cursing at rng when searching for that one gold ore deposit in range of about 2k tiles :D

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

orzelek wrote:Add RSO.. and start cursing at rng when searching for that one gold ore deposit in range of about 2k tiles :D
I am having that problem right now. :lol:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, I've been working on mods all day, and silently releasing updates.
Here's the changes

ores:
Add ore miner fix for multiple ore results

Enemies:
Add new big worm locale entries.

Logistics:
changed all fast replace groups for long handed inserters to long-handed-inserter

warfare:
Added sniper turret damage upgrade research
Reduce sniper turret damage output.
use cloned gun turret animation to fix Treefarm AC issues.
Changed turret "corpse" size to medium to match change in base game.
Added changes to base game weapon upgrade research to include Science Pack 4 where apropriate
Added modifier-description locale text for new weapon speed/damage upgrades
Added name for Exoskeleton MK2 and MK3

plates:
void recipes are automatic, made them hidden.
removed residule pipe graphics
Electrolyser MK4 added
Reballanced Electrolysers stats.
Changed advanced copper processing icon to indicate that you also get cobalt oxide.

Modules:
Made customising stats easier via config.lua
I also have a Patreon.

phmarriel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by phmarriel »

bobingabout wrote:Okay, I've been working on mods all day, and silently releasing updates.
Here's the changes

ores:
Add ore miner fix for multiple ore results

Enemies:
Add new big worm locale entries.

Logistics:
changed all fast replace groups for long handed inserters to long-handed-inserter

warfare:
Added sniper turret damage upgrade research
Reduce sniper turret damage output.
use cloned gun turret animation to fix Treefarm AC issues.
Changed turret "corpse" size to medium to match change in base game.
Added changes to base game weapon upgrade research to include Science Pack 4 where apropriate
Added modifier-description locale text for new weapon speed/damage upgrades
Added name for Exoskeleton MK2 and MK3

plates:
void recipes are automatic, made them hidden.
removed residule pipe graphics
Electrolyser MK4 added
Reballanced Electrolysers stats.
Changed advanced copper processing icon to indicate that you also get cobalt oxide.

Modules:
Made customising stats easier via config.lua
thanks for all the work

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

*runs to downloads section*

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Time for an update!

Seru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Seru »

Hey bob,

I was wondering if you could include some weaponized trains in your mods.
I've been playing with your modpack, as well as F.A.R.L. and I enjoy driving in a certain direction and turret-creep aliens living in that direction. Now what I felt was greatly missing was locomotives/waggons equipped with powerful guns, and the only mod I could find that had something similar to that was sort of lacking in design and use.

What I imagine is carriage that either can equip or has equipped 1-X turrets.

Something similar to Image would be really cool as well (using tank shells or something).

I hope you can consider adding such in a future iteration of your mod.

Greetings
Seru

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have actually looked into doing something like this, and where the abillity for "car" to have turrets and weapons to make a tank, the same isn't true for either the locomotive or wagon, so making a turret isn't easy. I won't say it isn't possible, but it's something that would require scripting, which is something I would like to avoid, so unless things change in the game engine, You are unlikely to see weaponised trains in my mods.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

New mod release:
Bob's Electronics mod!

This is a new mod created by combining the Electronics production chain from MCI with the Electronics overide mod. Trust me, it took a lot more effort than that sentance made it sound. It is meant to replace the Electronic overide mod.

The replacement for Electronic Circuit is now Basic Electronic Board instead of Basic Circuit Board, with a few specific instances of the base game electronic circuit manually replaced with Basic Circuit board to make it possible to craft them before you unlock the Basic Electronic Board via research. These include the Basic Inserter, Offshore pump, Basic Electric Mining Drill, The Lab, Repair pack, Radar, and a couple of items after research, Assembling Machine MK1 and Basic Splitter(Even though Fast Inserter in the same research still requires the Basic Electronic Board.)

It can be used by itself, or with my other mods as a replacement for the Electronics overide mod.

I will also need to go through all my other mods at some point and tweak the recipes to use the apropriate circuit with the new methodology. Basic Circuit Board -> Basic Electronic Board -> Electronic Circuit Board -> Electronic Logic Board -> Electronic Processing Board.

Hopefully one day I will remove the electronics chain from MCI, making it optional via the Electronics mod, with very little change from the point of view of those who used the Electronics Overide mod. In other words: Base game electronics OR my electronics, not a mish mash of both side by side, which is possible now if you only use MCI and not the overide mod.

For those of you not fully versed on the history of my mods, the electronics chain was only added into what is now known as the Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod when I merged my Intermediates mod into what used to be known as Metals and Chemicals mod. This was done to be able to use my new Intermediates in the recipes of the machines in the Metals and Chemicals mod before the three stage loading system was added. It also became a sort of dumping ground for good things to add to the game that didn't fit a specific mod at the time, such as Pipes before I made my Logistics mod. Migration of Pipes into the Logistics mod took a while to complete, existing in both mods for a while. Splitting MCI back up has been something on my mind for a while, Electronics is just the first split that has made sense since the pipes.

Another change on my mind is to Rename the Assembly machines mod to Production Machines mod, then migrate a lot of the machines from MCI into it, including the extra tiers of Chemical Plants, Electrolysers, even the water/air pumps and extra types of furnaces. This would mean without my Production Machines mod, you would need to make a lot of things in MCI in either the assembly machine, or Chemical plant, even a lot of the smelting recipes, since the base game smelters can't handle multiple-ingedient recipes.
I also have a Patreon.

Rikrik
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rikrik »

bobingabout wrote:New mod release:
Bob's Electronics mod!

The replacement for Electronic Circuit is now Basic Electronic Board instead of Basic Circuit Board, with a few specific instances of the base game electronic circuit manually replaced with Basic Circuit board to make it possible to craft them before you unlock the Basic Electronic Board via research. These include the Basic Inserter, Offshore pump, Basic Electric Mining Drill, The Lab, Repair pack, Radar, and a couple of items after research, Assembling Machine MK1 and Basic Splitter(Even though Fast Inserter in the same research still requires the Basic Electronic Board.)
If i use this on an existing save, will it break a lot of stuff?

Seru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Seru »

bobingabout wrote:I have actually looked into doing something like this, and where the abillity for "car" to have turrets and weapons to make a tank, the same isn't true for either the locomotive or wagon, so making a turret isn't easy. I won't say it isn't possible, but it's something that would require scripting, which is something I would like to avoid, so unless things change in the game engine, You are unlikely to see weaponised trains in my mods.
[Edit: Nevermind. Found the scripting part where a gun turret is put on top of the train to simulate an armed train.]

Hey bob,

please regard the following as thoughts from a computer science student that hasn't spent more than a few minutes looking at the way mods are implemented in factorio, so the following statement could well be completely unqualified, since I might have overlooked something. But from what I've seen in 5dim-trains (the only mod I've found with working weaponized wagons), the attack_parameters variable was used to make the gun-wagon work. As I understand it, that's the same way turrets operate. I didn't see any event-scripting done there.
Then again, I might simply be overlooking something.

I hope you could have a short look at this.
Either way, thanks for your time.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Seru wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I have actually looked into doing something like this, and where the abillity for "car" to have turrets and weapons to make a tank, the same isn't true for either the locomotive or wagon, so making a turret isn't easy. I won't say it isn't possible, but it's something that would require scripting, which is something I would like to avoid, so unless things change in the game engine, You are unlikely to see weaponised trains in my mods.
[Edit: Nevermind. Found the scripting part where a gun turret is put on top of the train to simulate an armed train.]

Hey bob,

please regard the following as thoughts from a computer science student that hasn't spent more than a few minutes looking at the way mods are implemented in factorio, so the following statement could well be completely unqualified, since I might have overlooked something. But from what I've seen in 5dim-trains (the only mod I've found with working weaponized wagons), the attack_parameters variable was used to make the gun-wagon work. As I understand it, that's the same way turrets operate. I didn't see any event-scripting done there.
Then again, I might simply be overlooking something.

I hope you could have a short look at this.
Either way, thanks for your time.
Yup, I would probably do the same as 5dim if I were to try it.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”