Bob mods for 0.12 General Topic.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Robotic Intermediates would be useful for Logistics and Warfare. Should I:

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Mirror the research and intermediates in both mods.
6%
Create a new Robotic Overhaul and expansion mod. (Similar in style to the Electronics mod, which Logistics and Warfare use for their robots)
45%
Place the new intermediates in a common mod (The Intermediates part of Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod)
48%

Total votes: 31

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Bob mods for 0.12

Post by Ackos »

For any who have energy concerns, try out the Harder energy mod.

Something i would like to see, is using laser magazines for the laser turrets. Tier 1 laser turret would require no pack, and would be weak and power hungry. Tier 2 turret would require a magazine, with the strength and efficiency provided by better crystals.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ackos wrote:Something i would like to see, is using laser magazines for the laser turrets. Tier 1 laser turret would require no pack, and would be weak and power hungry. Tier 2 turret would require a magazine, with the strength and efficiency provided by better crystals.
The only problem with that is that you can have an "electric-turret" that uses power, or a "gun-turret" that takes ammo. You can't have one that takes both ammo and power.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I keep harping on the devs to make a railgun turret that requires ammo and power, but they're taking their sweet time about it, if they are!

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Ackos wrote:Something i would like to see, is using laser magazines for the laser turrets. Tier 1 laser turret would require no pack, and would be weak and power hungry. Tier 2 turret would require a magazine, with the strength and efficiency provided by better crystals.
Or how about a turret that has a range of say 50 and super high damage. You could place them just outside of a hive and then as you approach they clear a path for your approach. That would be ... oh - already done. Thanks Bob!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DerivePi wrote:
Or how about a turret that has a range of say 50 and super high damage. You could place them just outside of a hive and then as you approach they clear a path for your approach. That would be ... oh - already done. Thanks Bob!
About those.
Someone was complaining they were overpowered. So I've reduced the damage on them (to about half), but I've also added a research chain (like the gun turret damage research chain, no the gun turret research didn't effect the sniper turret) that can just more than double the output damage, which brings it just above what it used to be.
This change should be in the next version, so there is still time for people to change my mind!
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:
DerivePi wrote:
About those.
Someone was complaining they were overpowered. So I've reduced the damage on them (to about half), but I've also added a research chain (like the gun turret damage research chain, no the gun turret research didn't effect the sniper turret) that can just more than double the output damage, which brings it just above what it used to be.
This change should be in the next version, so there is still time for people to change my mind!
Adding custom ammo turrets to usual research is what I do at start. It seems that having them outside it is.. strange. Separate research tree is also good :D
(Gun turrets research are nightmare to migrate so make sure it works from the start - any later changes will end up doing strange things :D)

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I nerfed bob sniper turrets too!

original:
damage = 40 cooldown = 120
damage = 60 cooldown = 120
damage = 60 cooldown = 90

nerfed:
damage = 5 cooldown = 500
damage = 10 cooldown = 450
damage = 15 cooldown = 360

Sniper turrets should be sniping and not putting dps like crazy. Also i use higher tier turrets that use custom ammo made from tungsten carbide and other fun stuff that have a bit more damage than this so take my nerfs easy, but still way less damage than original.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

I'd like something like the void pump for sodium hydroxide. Can't find a useful game product that is produced from NaOH (other than alumina) and we need significant amounts of H-Cl (which requires an equal production of NaOH). Maybe create a surface applied soap that slows down enemies? Or, find more uses for aluminum. Otherwise, NaOH gets crated and shot.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Install void chest mod for now, it works fine!

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

DerivePi wrote:I'd like something like the void pump for sodium hydroxide. Can't find a useful game product that is produced from NaOH (other than alumina) and we need significant amounts of H-Cl (which requires an equal production of NaOH). Maybe create a surface applied soap that slows down enemies? Or, find more uses for aluminum. Otherwise, NaOH gets crated and shot.
Handily, someone already made this.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Seeing as the topic proper is still labelled 0.11 I figured I'd put this here.

Ores seems to be having a problem spawning gems from other ores. My coal miners' expected resources show diamonds correctly, but have yet to produce any after harvesting well over a thousand coal.

Apos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apos »

Regarding weapons and damage:

I think what'd be beneficial in balancing weapons and making them more realistic is to rely more on ammunition type than turret tier. Let's say turret type and tier gives you fire rate and range, when rounds tell game what damage and penetration they cause. I.e.:
Turret: Range 50, 10 Rounds per Second
Turret Mk II: Range 55, 12 Rounds per Second
Sniper Turret: Range 300, 0.3 Rounds per Second
Sniper Turret Mk II: Range 330, 0.3 Rounds per Second
etc.

Standard bullet: 20 damage , 1 piercing power
Penetration bullet: 8 damage, 10 piercing power
and then add new types of ammo:
FMJ: 12 damage, 12 piercing power
Explosive round: 30 damage, 1 piercing power (+ area of effect?)

To use RL equivalent:
High Explosive (HE)
High Explosive Incendiary (HEI)
Armour-Piercing (AP)
Armour Piercing Incendiary (API)
Armour-Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS)
High-Explosive Fragmentary tracer (HEF-t)
Penetrator with Enhanced Lateral Effect (PELE)

Those values are only examples to represent general idea behind it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:original:
damage = 40 cooldown = 120
damage = 60 cooldown = 120
damage = 60 cooldown = 90
Without looking it up now, I think I changed them to...
Damage 25, cooldown 150
Damage 30, cooldown 120
damage 35, cooldown 105

To note: the change makes the MK2 turret on par with the sniper rifle the player can use.
orzelek wrote:Adding custom ammo turrets to usual research is what I do at start. It seems that having them outside it is.. strange. Separate research tree is also good :D
(Gun turrets research are nightmare to migrate so make sure it works from the start - any later changes will end up doing strange things :D)
There should be no issues, because I never added the sniper turrets to any research in the first place.
Also, the original turrets are fixed with a migration script that copies the multiplier bonus value of the original turret onto them, meaning it doesn't matter what level the research is when you install the mod, it always sets the right multiplier to my turrets when the script runs.
DerivePi wrote:I'd like something like the void pump for sodium hydroxide. Can't find a useful game product that is produced from NaOH (other than alumina) and we need significant amounts of H-Cl (which requires an equal production of NaOH). Maybe create a surface applied soap that slows down enemies? Or, find more uses for aluminum. Otherwise, NaOH gets crated and shot.
Yup, similar reason to why I didn't make a way to make wood in my mod, due to treefarm's existance, Someone else already made a void chest mod, so, use that. It's already been linked to you, so I won't.

I am looking at adding more things that require Sodium Hydroxide though.
Degraine wrote:Ores seems to be having a problem spawning gems from other ores. My coal miners' expected resources show diamonds correctly, but have yet to produce any after harvesting well over a thousand coal.
If the option is turned on, producing gems from ores is a CHANCE, not a guarantee. Diamond is the rarest of the gems, I think the chance is something like 0.5%. Try filling a whole chest, and see what happens.
Apos wrote:Regarding weapons and damage:

I think what'd be beneficial in balancing weapons and making them more realistic is to rely more on ammunition type than turret tier. Let's say turret type and tier gives you fire rate and range, when rounds tell game what damage and penetration they cause. I.e.:
Turret: Range 50, 10 Rounds per Second
Turret Mk II: Range 55, 12 Rounds per Second
Sniper Turret: Range 300, 0.3 Rounds per Second
Sniper Turret Mk II: Range 330, 0.3 Rounds per Second
etc.

Standard bullet: 20 damage , 1 piercing power
Penetration bullet: 8 damage, 10 piercing power
and then add new types of ammo:
FMJ: 12 damage, 12 piercing power
Explosive round: 30 damage, 1 piercing power (+ area of effect?)
That's actually similar to what I have at the moment anyway. if you look at the 7 ammos i added, there's a standard ammo, piercing, explosive, fire, acid, poison and impact(this last one mostly just because the damage type exists, and I had a spare alien artifact colour to work with).
Each type of ammo will do around the same ammount of damage, some of them doing Area effects like explosive, others leaving an effect on the ground, like poison. Dealing more or less damage has more to do with the type of weapon you're using when you fire the weapon, where the ammo you use determines what type of damage they do. An SMG for example will do less damage per bullet, but spray them 15 times a second before speed bonuses. A rifle will deal 15 times the damage per shot, but only fire once per second, before speed bonuses.

Tiers of turret will add some extra damage per tier, but they are more aimed at fire rate. The problem with rapid fire type weapons is that if you're trying to fire more than 60 times a second, you may get issues with tick updates, I've never actually tried to set a fire rate that results in more than one shot per tick before.
I also have a Patreon.

Ezzue
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezzue »

Couldn't find any reports about this, so I'm just asking:
What do I do?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Udklip.PNG
Udklip.PNG (60 KiB) Viewed 4651 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I did a full file search to find out if that icon had been used in a strange way. It hadn't, they're all legitamate uses. So the error doesn't make sense, nothing should be loading the icon at point 63x63 size 1x1.

Try deleting cropcache.dat and reloading the game.
I also have a Patreon.

Ezzue
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezzue »

bobingabout wrote:I did a full file search to find out if that icon had been used in a strange way. It hadn't, they're all legitamate uses. So the error doesn't make sense, nothing should be loading the icon at point 63x63 size 1x1.

Where is cropcache.dat located?
And thanks for the answer!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ezzue wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I did a full file search to find out if that icon had been used in a strange way. It hadn't, they're all legitamate uses. So the error doesn't make sense, nothing should be loading the icon at point 63x63 size 1x1.

Actually it's crop-cache.dat, I said it from memory before, and it's in the factorio root directory, so, in factorio folder, not any subfolder.
I also have a Patreon.

Ezzue
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezzue »

bobingabout wrote:
Ezzue wrote:

Actually it's crop-cache.dat, I said it from memory before, and it's in the factorio root directory, so, in factorio folder, not any subfolder.
That worked! Thanks!
But would I have to do that ever so often?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You only usually have to do that when icons change, or sometimes when you have errors, like this case. To be honest the file isn't even important, it just saves a few seconds during loading time.

What that file is... the game scans an icon for empty space around the image, then "crops" the empty space out, this then saves video RAM and reduces drawing times in game (Because it isn't drawning empty space). it then stores the new dimensions in that file, so next time you load the game, it just loads the crop cache file and crops the images using the stored data so it doesn't have to processes every icon image again.
I also have a Patreon.

netmc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by netmc »

I'm sorry if this was posted already... I went back through about 1/2 the pages and didn't see this anywhere. (I'm just starting with Bob's Mods.) I found that mining galena by hand yields lead ore with a very good chance of nickel. Mining with the electric miner yields only lead. Is there something I am missing?

Return to “Bob's mods”