[0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

evandy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by evandy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm

bobingabout wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:12 pm
evandy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Can you use any fuel cell in any mark of reactor? They just get burned up faster in the higher tiers?
there's an option for bobrevamp. if the reactor revamp is turned on (and you have bobplates and bobpower with new reactors) then you will only be able to use uranium fuel in a uranium reactor, thorium in a thorium reactor and deuterium in a deuterium reactor.
If there option is turned off (or you lack bobpower's additional reactors) then any fuel works in any reactor.
Is that the same revamp as the nuclear recipe change above, or a second click? Definitely planning to run both of those.

Interesting that I will need to run a blended reactor solution in perpetuity to keep the higher tier stuff fueled, but I really like that idea. Will need to see whether to have separate facilities, or go with a big array that blends all types of reactors. Complicated fiddly setups and ratios are factorio after all.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:45 am

evandy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:12 pm
evandy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Can you use any fuel cell in any mark of reactor? They just get burned up faster in the higher tiers?
there's an option for bobrevamp. if the reactor revamp is turned on (and you have bobplates and bobpower with new reactors) then you will only be able to use uranium fuel in a uranium reactor, thorium in a thorium reactor and deuterium in a deuterium reactor.
If there option is turned off (or you lack bobpower's additional reactors) then any fuel works in any reactor.
Is that the same revamp as the nuclear recipe change above, or a second click? Definitely planning to run both of those.

Interesting that I will need to run a blended reactor solution in perpetuity to keep the higher tier stuff fueled, but I really like that idea. Will need to see whether to have separate facilities, or go with a big array that blends all types of reactors. Complicated fiddly setups and ratios are factorio after all.
in theory, since it costs 1 fusion catalyst to make 10 fuel cells, but you have a 50% chance to get one back from recycling 5... that averages out to getting 1 out of 10... so in theory, unless you get unlucky, once you have a batch of deuterium fuel cells, you don't need the previous tiers to make more.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm

bobingabout wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:45 am
in theory, since it costs 1 fusion catalyst to make 10 fuel cells, but you have a 50% chance to get one back from recycling 5... that averages out to getting 1 out of 10... so in theory, unless you get unlucky, once you have a batch of deuterium fuel cells, you don't need the previous tiers to make more.
Hmmmm.... "In theory"... over a really long time, I can see this being an infinite renewable energy source! LOL. But if the factory must grow, then we need more!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 pm

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Hmmmm.... "In theory"... over a really long time, I can see this being an infinite renewable energy source! LOL. But if the factory must grow, then we need more!
you still need to pump more Deuterium in to make more though, so you have to manage all the waste pure water you get from that process. with pure bobs, you can't just vent it. So, where with the other nuclear fuels, you have to find and manage a finite supply, with deuterium, the challenge is managing the byproducts of an otherwise infinite supply.

For the record, on average, with Uranium you're going to get back enough plutonium OR U235 to make another fuel cell too, so that's renewable, and thorium is a "Breeder reactor", you get back more U235 (which in theory SHOULD be U233, but it was kind of pointless to add that when it would effectively result in the same as just giving you U235) than it cost to make the fuel cell in the first place.

it kinda makes the Kovarex process and the Bobingabout process useless in the current versions. (though bobingabout process is a little more useful because that gives you higher fuel valued fuel cells) at least until I implement other uses for them, such as Plutonium RTGs.
I also have a Patreon.

evandy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by evandy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm

bobingabout wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 pm
bobingabout wrote:
you still need to pump more Deuterium in to make more though, so you have to manage all the waste pure water you get from that process. with pure bobs, you can't just vent it. So, where with the other nuclear fuels, you have to find and manage a finite supply, with deuterium, the challenge is managing the byproducts of an otherwise infinite supply.

For the record, on average, with Uranium you're going to get back enough plutonium OR U235 to make another fuel cell too, so that's renewable, and thorium is a "Breeder reactor", you get back more U235 (which in theory SHOULD be U233, but it was kind of pointless to add that when it would effectively result in the same as just giving you U235) than it cost to make the fuel cell in the first place.

it kinda makes the Kovarex process and the Bobingabout process useless in the current versions. (though bobingabout process is a little more useful because that gives you higher fuel valued fuel cells) at least until I implement other uses for them, such as Plutonium RTGs.
Can’t you just electrolyze the pure water and vent the o2 and h2? I haven’t checked but thought you could do this if you needed

EDIT: According to helmod you can electrolyze and vent, and that's usually pretty accurate. Unless the process is so expensive as to be energy negative, then I don't see how that's really a limiting factor. 1 Deuterium Fuel Cell per second takes 1 lead plate, 1 sulphur, and 1,900 water per second. You get an extra 2.375 O2 (19 vent pumps), and 3,751 H2 (38 vent pumps). That's not really all that challenging as far as I can see. You can always use that O2 and H2 with a little compressed air to make rocket fuel; looks like that much is enough for 4-5 rocket fuel per second, but when you're full up then it should be trivial to just vent all the excess gas away.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:06 am

evandy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm
bobingabout wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Can’t you just electrolyze the pure water and vent the o2 and h2? I haven’t checked but thought you could do this if you needed

EDIT: According to helmod you can electrolyze and vent, and that's usually pretty accurate. Unless the process is so expensive as to be energy negative, then I don't see how that's really a limiting factor. 1 Deuterium Fuel Cell per second takes 1 lead plate, 1 sulphur, and 1,900 water per second. You get an extra 2.375 O2 (19 vent pumps), and 3,751 H2 (38 vent pumps). That's not really all that challenging as far as I can see. You can always use that O2 and H2 with a little compressed air to make rocket fuel; looks like that much is enough for 4-5 rocket fuel per second, but when you're full up then it should be trivial to just vent all the excess gas away.
It's still probably around the same kind of infrastructure as setting up uranium/thorium mines and processing plants.
I also have a Patreon.

evandy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by evandy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 am

bobingabout wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:06 am
evandy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm
bobingabout wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

It's still probably around the same kind of infrastructure as setting up uranium/thorium mines and processing plants.
Oh, certainly, no quetion there.

enchant
Inserter
Inserter

Post by enchant » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 am

Checking my power usage, electric furnaces use up the most juice, but robot charging points are an uncontested second. I generally place them willy nilly, but do they use up electricity when not in use, or only when charging a bot?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:52 pm

enchant wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 am
Checking my power usage, electric furnaces use up the most juice, but robot charging points are an uncontested second. I generally place them willy nilly, but do they use up electricity when not in use, or only when charging a bot?
I'd have to look to double check, but I think there is a small power usage when they're just sitting there doing nothing. most of the power gets used when charging though.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”