Upgrading robots

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Upgrading robots

Post by enchant »

I typically don't bother using the vanilla robots and build mk2 bots from the start for general use. I'm building my first bot-based base and currently have about 20k logistic bots flying around.

Them mk4 bots sure are shiny, but since I've already got so many mk2s in the field, how do I replace them? Is there any way to recall specific robot types that are out working? About the only thing I can think of would be to do a global shutdown of my electricity, wait for them to run out of things to do and run around collecting them. I'm not above doing that, but if there is a more elegant way of doing it, I'd prefer that.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Upgrading robots

Post by bobingabout »

This question is asked a lot. there's no real solution to the issue.

Basically, remove them from the system upgrade them, put the new ones in the network.

I heard you can use a filter inserter to remove a specific type of robot from the roboport if it docks there, but otherwise, many people recommend running some sort of big job, and grabbing them out of the air as the approach to perform it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Thanks for the good info. I'm going to try saving a game and basically turning off the base by unplugging the power and see if that gets them to ultimately stop flying.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

enchant wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Thanks for the good info. I'm going to try saving a game and basically turning off the base by unplugging the power and see if that gets them to ultimately stop flying.
I think if you do that, and a roboport runs out of power, the robots inside it's area of influence will fly to the nearest port of the same grid.

basically, for that to work, you'll need a roboport that is part of the network near your powerplant that you leave turned on when you turn off everything else, and eventually, all the robots should fly back over to that one port.
then you can go around and clean out all the other roboports before turning the power back on.
I also have a Patreon.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

bobingabout wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:11 pm
basically, for that to work, you'll need a roboport that is part of the network near your powerplant that you leave turned on when you turn off everything else, and eventually, all the robots should fly back over to that one port.
then you can go around and clean out all the other roboports before turning the power back on.
I did that, but it appears that they all just parked themselves at the nearest available port, regardless.

It was a bit of running around, but I managed to find all of the little buggers.

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

useful, but late to the party :P
I also have a Patreon.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

But I'll definitely give that a try next time around.

Now I need a mod to give me 12 quintillion blue circuits to make new new mk4 bots.

Return to “Bob's mods”