[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

that command should work
and the reason why you know it works is because the game will lock up as it starts regenerting ores. for how long? depends how big your map is and how slow your computer is, for me it locks up for about 10 minutes.

Alternatively, you can manually regenerate every ore seperately. using the following.

/c game.regenerate_entity("nickel-ore")

Full list of ores is here
bauxite-ore cobalt-ore gem-ore gold-ore lead-ore nickel-ore quartz rutile-ore silver-ore sulfur tin-ore tungsten-ore zinc-ore ground-water lithia-water

This is basically all information taken from the first post, except I added ground-water and lithia-water that arn't on the list.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

I've got about 130 hours into my game now, and after having researched ALL the tech (having upgraded just about everything as far as it can go) and begun my quest for "rocket per minute" or perhaps "1000 rockets", I have a few observations.

The rocket itself hasn't changed recipes, which I was a little surprised by. This means most of the late-game goodies and custom resources aren't really used in rocket construction once you get to that stage of the game. Perhaps this could be changed so that all the resource types continue to need mining. A little (or perhap a lot) of everything should go into making a rocket, as this would add significantly to the post-rocket activities. One recommendation I can make right off the bat is to put some silver zinc batteries in the rocket control unit recipe. That would eat up some of that excess Sodium Hydroxide as well as the excess silver.

Another is that there are certain resources which aren't used very much in proportion to how available they are. I thought maybe this would be useful to know when it comes to future balancing. Also, I'm using RSO, if that makes any difference. And I'm using max settings for aliens so that there's an actual need for all the late-game tech.

In terms of byproducts, I've noticed that by far, the most overly-abundant is Sodium Hydroxide. I find this building up in serious quantities, and I currently have 197,000 of the stuff in storage (which is annoying because it only stacks to 100) because not enough things actually consume it.

In terms of raw ores, I find certain ones used only in small quantities.

Gold, Bauxite, Rutile, and Tungsten are all only sparsely used relative to their availability. I think each of these, I've consumed only one full mining site in the entire game. Actually, I think Tungsten is still on its first.

Lithia water goes surprisingly far. I've only pumped from one site and brought it home via rail. Granted, it was far away, but I've found that it lasts an extremely long time. When making Li-Ion batteries, cobalt is actually a more limiting factor.

Silver patches are enormous for how much silver is needed in the game. The same goes for zinc, which is curiously in the starting area. With zinc in particular, I think I've pulled in only one ore patch and never even dedicated a train for it. So silver and zinc trains I have yet to set up. I did set up a Nickel train simply because I did end up using the smallish Nickel patch I was mining and I anticipated needing more as my Nitinol need rose. It turned out I actually needed very little Nickel.

Gems... I'm not sure what to make of gems, but you definitely only need one gem patch ever. I've barely scratched my initial mining site from the looks of it, and I use a hell of a lot of gems. I have over 700 Mk5 lasers protecting my stuff.

Here are my ore consumption stats at 5 days, 12 hours into the game, again having researched ALL the tech and upgraded most everything, and also launched a rocket and preparing to expand rocket production.
3.2M Iron Ore
2.6M Copper Ore
1.5M Crude Oil (delivered via 61k barrels)
1.1M Coal
856k Tin Ore
737k Galena
691k Stone
425k Lithia Water (delivered via 17k barrels)
266k Quartz
193k Rutile
185k Gold Ore
82k Bauxite
71k Nickel Ore
23k Zinc Ore
21k Tungsten Ore
17k Silver Ore
2400 Emerald Ore
2400 Topaz Ore
2300 Diamond Ore
2000 Sapphire Ore
1700 Amethyst Ore
976 Ruby Ore (most abundant used the least?)

So overall, I was rather surprised that I never really had to set up new mining sites for most of these materials. Lead and tin, yes. Definitely needed multiple sites. But everything else pretty much pulled from one spot the entire game.

Also curiously unexpected is that I've consumed nearly a million logs. Makes me glad my "overkill" greenhouse zone was actually needed! I've used 901k and produced 833k. The difference, I cut myself.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Rockets are updated by the 3rd party mod by CMH. I will get around to making an official update for it some time.

RSO would change the availability of each resource, however, there is some imbalance, such as the relative high availability of Bauxite and Tungsten (It's as common as rutile) when most of the high end things come from Rutile. Silver is as common as gold in my mod, which is probably a bit much too.

Zinc is not in the starting area in my mod, that's an RSO blunder. and yes, is a rare ore, as rare, or rarer than gold in my mods without RSO.

Gems, I actually relatively recently divided all values of gems by 10. if you think you have enough gems now, imagine how many you'd have with the old numbers. Then again, you're using RSO, the availability of resources is controlled by RSO.
I also have a Patreon.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I went through a few hundred laser bots, maybe 1,000 laser towers, a ton of laser rifle ammo, a few hundred T8 modules, nothing too fancy and I got through a gems patch (max tier mining drill full of productivity modules) and maybe halfway through the next (default settings, no RSO). Actually I was having to void quite a few of some, particularly one (Amethyst?) which is barely used in anything, to keep my diamond supply going even though Diamonds all had Productivity Modules installed where possible and the others didn't.

So Gems aren't in too bad a place, if anything the problem is they aren't as "consumable" as other resources. You tend to use one in a laser tower or a module and that's it, you have that item for the rest of the game. Even low-tier gem products tend to build into the next tier. Diamonds are used in the top tier laser rifle ammo which does not build out of the previous tier and is more consumable so their consumption tends to be higher than anything else, but even that isn't a huge consumer.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Sophalin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sophalin »

A bug report
I am not sure if this is the correct mod but maybe it will be noticed anyway :)

I am playing w/ bob's mod (all of them) and the chmmod (I am not sure about the name) and many other mods including the one that changes the research to 0.15 style (with 6 SP types).
I started the game three times now and reached quite far and found out that there are no lithia water anywhere.
I walked and drive huge amounts of miles and nothing.
at first I thought I turned off "underground water" option due to the fact that I produce lakes.
than I tried again with the ug water on. but still couldn't find them (not regular waters and not lithia water) when I needed them.
The third time I started with peaceful mode and went to look for them close and far. I found some so I started to build my factory under the impression that when time comes I could find some more.
Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that even the water that I have found in the beginning has gone! I don't know how or where.

Thanks for your attention.
(if there are some question I am available).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:Rockets are updated by the 3rd party mod by CMH. I will get around to making an official update for it some time.

RSO would change the availability of each resource, however, there is some imbalance, such as the relative high availability of Bauxite and Tungsten (It's as common as rutile) when most of the high end things come from Rutile. Silver is as common as gold in my mod, which is probably a bit much too.

Zinc is not in the starting area in my mod, that's an RSO blunder. and yes, is a rare ore, as rare, or rarer than gold in my mods without RSO.

Gems, I actually relatively recently divided all values of gems by 10. if you think you have enough gems now, imagine how many you'd have with the old numbers. Then again, you're using RSO, the availability of resources is controlled by RSO.
I can implement all of those in RSO or you could try to take a look at RSO config for bobs mods concentrating on few parameters like allotment (rarity of ore), richness and size of field.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I can't remember what the issue with map generation I was having was, but setting water to "Starting area only" really screwed up some of the resources.

If you have all of my mods, and NOT RSO, then Lithia water should spawn at the same frequency as oil. ground water should too. If you have an option for ground water on the map generation, it should be in your game.

I've actually seen some maps generate that have a patch of over a dozen lithia water spots in the starting area.
I also have a Patreon.

Sophalin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sophalin »

Well I have water all around. not just in the starting area
and I did choose to have water ground as far as I remember.
Can I look at the choices I made somewhere to be sure?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think if you press Escape and choose restart, it should bring up the map generation screen with the same options as are in your current map... but I'm not 100% on this.
I also have a Patreon.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

bobingabout wrote:I think if you press Escape and choose restart, it should bring up the map generation screen with the same options as are in your current map... but I'm not 100% on this.
It doesn't bring up the map generation screen, it just starts a new map with the same map settings but different seed.
Sophalin wrote:Well I have water all around. not just in the starting area
and I did choose to have water ground as far as I remember.
Can I look at the choices I made somewhere to be sure?
Go to Load game, select your game from the list and click the Map Exchange String button on the bottom left, then copy the string displayed.
Then go to New game and paste that string into the Map Exchange String textfield. All fields will fill out with the same settings that were used when creating that savegame.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Hey Bob,

I started my first game with your mods (full set, no Angel's mods, no RSO) but after managing to get white (ex-red) circuits I found that I have never met following resources on my map:
- Silver
- Gold
- Tungsten
- Aluminium ore
- Lithia water
- Zink
Any others if applicable

I had only the following:
- Iron
- Copper
- Coal
- Stone
- Tin
- Lead
- Quartz

I have used InitialScan to reveal the area. I have never travelled past this area yet.
I had all ored on Low frequency/rich yield/big patches on the game start map generator.

Please advice what could go wrong?

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

nothing. they only spawn outside of the starting area. put some high tier radars down/ drive around with your car/farl and you will find it.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

ukezi wrote:nothing. they only spawn outside of the starting area. put some high tier radars down/ drive around with your car/farl and you will find it.
Confirmed. Made a car and went far exploring. Found all ores. Thanks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, Lithia water CAN spawn in the start area, but it has the same spawn patterns as oil, so it's one of those that often doesn't appear in the starting area.
The rest is correct though, I only added Lead, Quartz, Tin and the two water's to the start area.
I also have a Patreon.

Tlmitf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tlmitf »

So I have a map that I built from a long time ago, and have been adding to it.
I have managed to plop in all of the bobs ores, and angels as well.

As far as I can tell I'm using all bob's mods, but I have run into a problem.

I dont seem to have the recipe for Lithium Perchlorate.
I did some googling and it would seem that I also do not have access to lithia water, or thermal water.

I cant make the lithium batteries needed to make the yellow science packs, and am stuck at this tech level.
I REALLY dont want to have to start again or spawn a map, I really enjoy the map I have made.

Can someone help me out?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

First off, if you're using angel's mods, he changes so much of the stuff that I add, that this information is probably going to be inaccurate, you really need to ask for help in one of Angel's topics.

However, in bob's mods, first you'll need to find a blue oil splat node named Lithia Water. you then mine from this node with a fluid pump (or oil drill) and boil that in a chemical furnace to get your lithium chloride, and the process continues from there. you'll need Lithium processing and Lithium batteries researched to be able to actually make them, and cobalt processing too. The cobalt actually comes from copper ore in the advanced copper processing recipe, you get cobalt oxide as a byproduct. The rest should be self explanatory.

At least, that's how it works in bob's mods, I am unsure what is different when using Angel's mods.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:At least, that's how it works in bob's mods, I am unsure what is different when using Angel's mods.
Nothing more than having thermal water filtered into lithia water instead of pumped directly. Thermal water is obtained from patches on the map just the same.

Tlmitf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tlmitf »

Okay, cool.

I have the cobalt process already setup, just cant find any thermal/lithia water because I didnt place any when I made the map - and the map was generated before I was using bobs and angels mods.
Seems that I am going to have to start again since I cant seem to find any way of spawning in the needed resource patch. I also dont seem to be able to place it in the map editor either.

Guess I'm going to have to start over and spawn a new map with the mods enabled :(

**EDIT**

I found the mod setting, and enabled the recipes for the pump, so I able to generate lithia water! YAY! :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Tlmitf wrote:I found the mod setting, and enabled the recipes for the pump, so I able to generate lithia water! YAY! :D
That's more of a cheat method, it exists because it's how you used to do it before I added the water patch resources, but then people complained so I made it an option.

At least it's working for you.
I also have a Patreon.

isaac1987a
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by isaac1987a »

I'm having an issue with bobs ore mods where stone does not generate in the starting zone. Is there an alternate way to get stone or do I need to fix a setting to get stone. I have all the ores turned on.

Return to “Bob's mods”