[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Rue99 »

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. I shan't hold my breath, but will be very pleased to see those changes should they ever see the light of day!

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Hey Bobingabout what changes in the new boblibrary?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It's listed in the first post of this topic, as always.

It's a bugfix that should finally make pumpjacks actually be placable on water spots. Completely untested.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by LittleMikey »

bobingabout wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:
mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:it will fire at whatever the personal laser defence will fire at because it's just a personal laser defence with a different projectile.
But is it possible in the game to make a weapon target worms and hives only?
Only with a bunch of scripting
I don't want to do a bunch of scripting. it could butcher performance.
It sounds like with the railway gun coming in 0.16 there might be a way to make things only target nests, which would save you a lot of work ^_^

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

LittleMikey wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:
mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:it will fire at whatever the personal laser defence will fire at because it's just a personal laser defence with a different projectile.
But is it possible in the game to make a weapon target worms and hives only?
Only with a bunch of scripting
I don't want to do a bunch of scripting. it could butcher performance.
It sounds like with the railway gun coming in 0.16 there might be a way to make things only target nests, which would save you a lot of work ^_^
The biocanon already only targets nests in 0.15. But that isn't in the vehicle grid. Maybe that makes a difference in what can be done.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Bobingabout:

I have recently reached the end-game era of your mods for 0.15, and in my endeavor nearing this milestone, I have come across some "inconsistencies." I call them that because I do not know if you had any of them planned or were simply overlooked. I already mentioned the battery construction times to you in an earlier post (5.0 seconds for vanilla batteries; 0.5 seconds for lithium-ion and silver-zinc). Here are some of what I found:

Chemical Furnaces
Thank you for the steel version! Unlike the original furnace line, this one does not upgrade up the chain. The stone version is not in the recipe for the steel version, and the steel version in not in the recipe for the electrical version. The Electrical Chemical furnace upgrades into the Electric Multi-Purpose Furnace nicely!

Metal Mixing Furnaces
Again, thank you for the steel version! Unlike the original furnace line and similar to the Chemical Furnace line, this one does not upgrade up the chain. The stone version is not in the recipe for the steel version, and the steel version in not in the recipe for the electrical version. The Electrical Metal Mixing Furnace does not upgrade into anything. So, once I have unlocked the Multi-Purpose Furnace, all of these became obsolete and are populating a chest in the corner of my base. Was this supposed to be the end of the line for these?

Electric Furnaces (Recipes)
I feel the gaps between Electric Furnace (1) to Electric Furnace 2 and Electric Furnace 2 to Electric Furnace 3 are very unequal. Electric Furnace (1) is perfect where it is at: requiring 10 steel, 5 electronic circuit boards, 10 stone bricks, and a steel furnace. This was great to get to. Now, the bridge to Electric Furnace 2 is LONG, very long. Electric Furnace 2's recipe is 5 electronic logic boards, 15 invar plates, 10 tungsten plates, and an Electric Furnace (1). I say this all due to the tungsten plates. There is a long period of time to get tungsten going to even make this furnace viable to upgrade to. The recipe for Electric Furnace 3 is 5 electronic processing boards, 15 copper-tungsten plates, 10 tungsten carbide plates, and Electric Furnace 2. Basically, the steps to get copper-tungsten and tungsten carbide are small following the unlocking of tungsten plates. So quick, in fact, that I never even upgraded to Electric Furnace 2, I just went from Electric Furnace (1) to Electric Furnace 3. I think Electric Furnace 3 is fine where it is at and its recipe is fine. My only gripe is with the recipe for Electric Furnace 2. Maybe use Titanium plates instead of Tungsten plates? Or this can be a spot for Aluminum, as Aluminum is tier 2 like invar plates. Maybe take a look at it for balance reasons?

Multi-Purpose Furnaces (Recipes)
Exactly the same reasoning for the Electric Furnaces. BUT maybe make these a little harder. I mean that if you consider Aluminum for the recipe for Electric Furnace 2, then maybe Titanium is used here for the Multi-Purpose Furnace. These are more valuable and that tier difference can help make it feel as such, but it will not be as drastic as in reaching tungsten.

Modules (Recipes)
First of all, the modules are great! Well done here. Complexity is worth the payoff. I did find one difference here and that is with the recipe for ALL modules #3. This is the only stage in all of them that does not require Module Contacts in the recipe. All other seven recipes require Module Contacts, just not modules #3.

I hope this is helpful and is not intended as at complaint post.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

RocketManChronicles wrote:Chemical Furnaces
Thank you for the steel version! Unlike the original furnace line, this one does not upgrade up the chain. The stone version is not in the recipe for the steel version, and the steel version in not in the recipe for the electrical version. The Electrical Chemical furnace upgrades into the Electric Multi-Purpose Furnace nicely!

Metal Mixing Furnaces
Again, thank you for the steel version! Unlike the original furnace line and similar to the Chemical Furnace line, this one does not upgrade up the chain. The stone version is not in the recipe for the steel version, and the steel version in not in the recipe for the electrical version. The Electrical Metal Mixing Furnace does not upgrade into anything. So, once I have unlocked the Multi-Purpose Furnace, all of these became obsolete and are populating a chest in the corner of my base. Was this supposed to be the end of the line for these?
Basically, this is how the base game does it. Stone doesn't upgrade to steel, steel doesn't upgrade to electric, so I kept that... annoyance, with my extra furnace types.
RocketManChronicles wrote:Electric Furnaces (Recipes)
I feel the gaps between Electric Furnace (1) to Electric Furnace 2 and Electric Furnace 2 to Electric Furnace 3 are very unequal. Electric Furnace (1) is perfect where it is at: requiring 10 steel, 5 electronic circuit boards, 10 stone bricks, and a steel furnace. This was great to get to. Now, the bridge to Electric Furnace 2 is LONG, very long. Electric Furnace 2's recipe is 5 electronic logic boards, 15 invar plates, 10 tungsten plates, and an Electric Furnace (1). I say this all due to the tungsten plates. There is a long period of time to get tungsten going to even make this furnace viable to upgrade to. The recipe for Electric Furnace 3 is 5 electronic processing boards, 15 copper-tungsten plates, 10 tungsten carbide plates, and Electric Furnace 2. Basically, the steps to get copper-tungsten and tungsten carbide are small following the unlocking of tungsten plates. So quick, in fact, that I never even upgraded to Electric Furnace 2, I just went from Electric Furnace (1) to Electric Furnace 3. I think Electric Furnace 3 is fine where it is at and its recipe is fine. My only gripe is with the recipe for Electric Furnace 2. Maybe use Titanium plates instead of Tungsten plates? Or this can be a spot for Aluminum, as Aluminum is tier 2 like invar plates. Maybe take a look at it for balance reasons?

Exactly the same reasoning for the Electric Furnaces. BUT maybe make these a little harder. I mean that if you consider Aluminum for the recipe for Electric Furnace 2, then maybe Titanium is used here for the Multi-Purpose Furnace. These are more valuable and that tier difference can help make it feel as such, but it will not be as drastic as in reaching tungsten.
I suppose I could try and rework some of the recipes a little, but the "heat proof" resources chain is Iron, Steel, Invar, Tungsten, Copper tungsten alloy. (Or Carbide) Titanium was avoided on purpose due to it's wide use elsewhere, and I needed a window for Tungsten. They're considered to be Tough/Heatproof equivalents, despite the difference in difficulty to produce.
RocketManChronicles wrote: Modules (Recipes)
First of all, the modules are great! Well done here. Complexity is worth the payoff. I did find one difference here and that is with the recipe for ALL modules #3. This is the only stage in all of them that does not require Module Contacts in the recipe. All other seven recipes require Module Contacts, just not modules #3.

3 was missing the contacts on purpose because I was looking at the number of ingredients per recipe. I felt that if I included the contacts the recipe would have too many for this stage.
I also have a Patreon.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

also electronic assembly has double the speed of the fitting normal one, but there is no equivalent of MK2 only one for MK1 and MK3, Costing first and third level electronics. There is not one for MK2 electronics. That also means you can't build MK3 electronics in an electronics assembler without having MK3 electronics first.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

bobingabout wrote:
RocketManChronicles wrote:Chemical Furnaces

Metal Mixing Furnaces
Basically, this is how the base game does it. Stone doesn't upgrade to steel, steel doesn't upgrade to electric, so I kept that... annoyance, with my extra furnace types.
RocketManChronicles wrote:Electric Furnaces (Recipes)

I suppose I could try and rework some of the recipes a little, but the "heat proof" resources chain is Iron, Steel, Invar, Tungsten, Copper tungsten alloy. (Or Carbide) Titanium was avoided on purpose due to it's wide use elsewhere, and I needed a window for Tungsten. They're considered to be Tough/Heatproof equivalents, despite the difference in difficulty to produce.
RocketManChronicles wrote: Modules (Recipes)

3 was missing the contacts on purpose because I was looking at the number of ingredients per recipe. I felt that if I included the contacts the recipe would have too many for this stage.
Ok, this all makes sense. I figured there were good reasons behind it all, so I wanted to make sure just in case. Thanks Bobingabout! Great mods to play through so far!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

It would still be nice to break with that vanilla annoyance and provide an upgrade path, e.g. Stone furnace + steel => steel furnace. It's good if that is more expensive than building from scratch. Because you have to tear out some stone tiles and put in heat resistances steel tiles after all and so on.

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

Hello Sir Bob!

I have a huge appreciation for what you created with your mod suite. It enhances the game by more than just a few bits here and there.

What I would love to know is: Are you in contact with the Devs prior to releases so you have an easier time/head start to update your mods?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SaintFlow wrote:Hello Sir Bob!

I have a huge appreciation for what you created with your mod suite. It enhances the game by more than just a few bits here and there.

What I would love to know is: Are you in contact with the Devs prior to releases so you have an easier time/head start to update your mods?
No more than the rest of you. I do however have access to the source code of the game on github, but I'm not in the Discord channel.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:

No more than the rest of you. I do however have access to the source code of the game on github, but I'm not in the Discord channel.
yous mod update?
mods in cool and excellent! angels_youki_bob = very cool game

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Airat9000 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

yous mod update?
mods in cool and excellent! angels_youki_bob = very cool game
I will update mods. There's a lot of things to fix.
I also have a Patreon.

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

bobingabout wrote:

Thanks for answering! I kinda expected that. It's a shame though! However, thanks again for your astounding work. And Happy Fixing ...uh..Merry Christmas!

MagikMurlok
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MagikMurlok »

What is the difference between all the pipes? And if there are differences, what should I be using for what?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

MagikMurlok wrote:What is the difference between all the pipes? And if there are differences, what should I be using for what?
The in game tooltips should give you the important differences between them.

There's the standard pipe chain: Iron, Steel, Titanium and Tungsten, and the main difference between them is as they go up in tier (Those are listed in order), the underground pipe range goes up, and they have more health.

Then there's the Thin pipe chain: Copper, Bronze, Brass, which are thinner than normal pipes... the lower capacity increases flow speed, but the base game fluids are already tuned for maximum flow, so can cause an "unstable simulation" state where the fluid seems to bounce back and forth through the pipe unrealistically, however, they can improve the flow of "Thick" fluids, which currently include crude oil, heavy oil, and tungstic acid.

Then there's the fat pipes: Stone, Plastic, Ceramic, and I don't really recommend using them... they were supposed to be for gasses (thinner fluids), but I changed gas flow back to standard base game values, because it would cause the "unstable simulation" situation in all other pipes, and was often game-breaking when used in the thin pipe chain.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
MagikMurlok wrote:What is the difference between all the pipes? And if there are differences, what should I be using for what?
The in game tooltips should give you the important differences between them.

There's the standard pipe chain: Iron, Steel, Titanium and Tungsten, and the main difference between them is as they go up in tier (Those are listed in order), the underground pipe range goes up, and they have more health.

Then there's the Thin pipe chain: Copper, Bronze, Brass, which are thinner than normal pipes... the lower capacity increases flow speed, but the base game fluids are already tuned for maximum flow, so can cause an "unstable simulation" state where the fluid seems to bounce back and forth through the pipe unrealistically, however, they can improve the flow of "Thick" fluids, which currently include crude oil, heavy oil, and tungstic acid.

Then there's the fat pipes: Stone, Plastic, Ceramic, and I don't really recommend using them... they were supposed to be for gasses (thinner fluids), but I changed gas flow back to standard base game values, because it would cause the "unstable simulation" situation in all other pipes, and was often game-breaking when used in the thin pipe chain.
Isn't that somewhat turned upside down? In RL gases use thin pipes and thick fluids use wide pipes.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

it is. that is one of the curiosities of factorio fluid simulation.

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

Is there any way to activate the "transmit productivity" setting without having to start an entirely new game? Didn't notice it somehow got disabled and I'm already a fair bit into a new game.

Return to “Bob's mods”