Confused by logistics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Confused by logistics

Post by LittleMikey »

Hi guys!

So I'm new to Bob's Mods. In my current base I'm slowly figuring it all out, I have red green and grey science under production, and I'm starting to unlock Logistics technology.

Can somebody please explain to me what the Robochest and Logistic Zone Interface do? I'm trying to figure it out on my own but just can't work it out.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Confused by logistics

Post by bobingabout »

The standard Roboport is an all in one device.

A Robochest is a roboport with lots of storage for robots, but very little of anything else, it has a single recharge point, and doesn't expand the network. it offers to wire connections.
Robot recharge pads come in 2 sizes, 2x2 and 3x3, and offer 4, or 9 recharge points, but nothing else.
Logistic zone expander expands the area of your network, but others nothing else.
And the Logistic zone interface is just a box where you can connect your red and green wires to read information from the logistic network.

So... the two specific entities you asked for. Robochest is robot storage, and the LZI is to connect wires to the network. If for example you do a big grid of roboports, they're probably spaced out a fair bit, so where you want to have your array of circuits to control a factories production might not be near a roboport, the LZI can just be placed anywhere within the zone and offer a local point to connect wires to.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Griggers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Griggers »

Is the LZI still useful since you can now connect wires to roboports?
Or do you intentionally keep it to allow players to make logistic networks without roboports?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Griggers wrote:Is the LZI still useful since you can now connect wires to roboports?
Or do you intentionally keep it to allow players to make logistic networks without roboports?
I only actually added it in after you were able to connect wires to Roboports. And it's use is... rather situational. It depends how close your roboport is to where you want the data. consider the fact that my higher tier roboports will give you a much higher range, you might not want to route the wires from one of those distant roboports to your decision making area... This is where the LZI comes in. You don't have to route the wires anymore, just plop one of those down, and connect to it instead.
I also have a Patreon.

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by LittleMikey »

Thanks for the info, Bob!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I found that robochests are useless, not to call them harmful. A simple mk1 roboport opens once and lets one robot leave per tick. So when you mark a forest for deconstruction a big robot swarm comes flying. Not so with robochests. They are slower by several magnitudes making your robot network very sluggish.
Last edited by mrvn on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:I found that robochests are useless, not to call them harmful. A simple mk1 roboport opens once and lets one robot leave per tick. So when you mark a forest for deconstruction a big robot swarm comes flying. Not so with robochests. They are slower my several magnitudes making your robot network very sluggish.
They shouldn't actually be any significant difference in the way they work, a Robochest is literally just a Roboport without the repair tool storage, and only 1 recharge port.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
mrvn wrote:I found that robochests are useless, not to call them harmful. A simple mk1 roboport opens once and lets one robot leave per tick. So when you mark a forest for deconstruction a big robot swarm comes flying. Not so with robochests. They are slower my several magnitudes making your robot network very sluggish.
They shouldn't actually be any significant difference in the way they work, a Robochest is literally just a Roboport without the repair tool storage, and only 1 recharge port.
Don't ask me to explain it. :)

But try it. Create a roboport, place 50 construction bots on the map and watch them enter the roboport. Mark a forest for destruction and watch them leave.
Now do the same with a robochest mk1.

Somehow with the chest here bots enter/leave the chest one by one while they stream with a roboport.

Return to “Bob's mods”