Question about respawning specific bob-ores

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Jdeg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Question about respawning specific bob-ores

Post by Jdeg »

Hello fellow Factorians :)

I come to this forum in order to find a solution to a problem that troubled me for a while:

Context:

I recently started a bob's mods play-through (currently about 32 hours in) with RSO and a couple of QoL mods, I used default/ medium settings on everything (basically I did not change anything, which is usually the way I like to play games).

However, I noticed that there was no Nickel, Silver, Cobalt, Sulfur nor Thorium ore near my (decently sized and fully radar mk2 covered) base. After google'ing for a good 2-3 hours I found out how to reveal the map around me only to check if those ores are there and I found that Nickel and Silver are there but very far from my nearest outpost by quite a distance (I started a new game with the same map exchange string), however it appears that the other ores I mentioned (Cobaltite, Sulfur and Thorium) were disabled by default from the get go.

I also found some commands that regenerate ores on the maps, so I changed the startup settings on the mods settings in the main menu and tried them:
  • 1 - /c remote.call("bobores", "Regenerate") : freezes the game for a while but does nothing regarding the ore patches already on the map nor the ones I added in the mod settings (Cobaltite, Sulfur and Thorium) :?
  • 2 - /c game.regenerate_entity("x-ore") : same thing freezes the game for a while but does not change anything. I tried it with ores already on the map no new patches appear and the existing ones do not disappear. I also tried it with the ores I added and no cobalt, sulfur nor thorium appeared :?
  • 3 - /c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true) : Freezes the game a little longer than the previous two and completely regenerates all the ore patches and biter bases, while also spawning the newly added ores. The problem is that I already started tapping into some coal/iron patches outside the starting area and do not want to redo all the (tiresome and boring) work again :(
Questions:
  • So in short what I want is to only regenerate Nickel, Silver ore patches (which are already enabled) as well as Cobalt, Sulfur and Thorium (which were disabled from the start but enabled later in the mod settings) while preserving all the other ore patches and biter bases the way they are :?:
  • Also, I added Angel's infinite ores later and no infinite patches have been spawning. When I call /c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true), however, the new patches apply infinite ores. Is there A way to enable this without regenerating all the ore patches :?:
Remarks

PS: I know there is a way to make Cobalt and Sulfur from Copper ore and Oil respectively and that Thorium currently has no recipes, but I still want them to appear on my current playthrough if possible.

PS2: I use the command /c game.forces.player.rechart() to update the mini map with the newly generated patches on the explored areas.

Thanks in advance for your replies! ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Question about respawning specific bob-ores

Post by bobingabout »

The first 2 methods are correct for bob's ores, the first is a script I wrote that calls the base game ore spawning system, the second IS the base game ore spawning system.
They will add new ores without touching existing ones.

However, if you use RSO, that completely takes over all ore spawning functionality... I personally do not use it (Because I mod, I don't play much, and I need to know that what I'm doing works), and as such, can't recommend on what you should do to respawn specific ores.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Jdeg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jdeg »

Thank you so much for the reply kind sir.

Indeed the bobores commands don't work because of RSO.

I tried calling :

Code: Select all

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate")
instead of

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true)
I'm not sure what the true argument means but this did what I was expecting except replace an iron patch with a sulfur one, while spawning another iron patch nearby and also some cobaltite, nickel and silver.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Jdeg wrote:Thank you so much for the reply kind sir.

Indeed the bobores commands don't work because of RSO.

I tried calling :

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate")
instead of

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true)
I'm not sure what the true argument means but this did what I was expecting except replace an iron patch with a sulfur one, while spawning another iron patch nearby and also some cobaltite, nickel and silver.
Commands above differ in that adding another true parameter resets the random seed - it will create completely new layout of resources.
Due to way that resource spawning works there is no way to respawn only single resource with RSO. And since you modified available ores even first command might change resource layout since there are more ores to place now which changes order of ores in generator.

Return to “Bob's mods”