[0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Recon777 »

Ahh. Missed that thread cause I didn't realize that most of page one in this forum is pinned threads. lol

The plan seems pretty solid. With inserters released, it may be tolerable to play through vanilla to try it out. It does make sense that the research side of things is going to take a LOT of thinking. Basically rebalancing everything.

If I might make a few suggestions, it does seem that vanilla has made the modular armor MUCH more accessible in that it only requires red and green science now. This is a HUGE improvement to the game because before, you have to spend 2/3 of your game time without a personal roboport and the ability to really use blueprints. I recommend keeping it that way. The rebalance which vanilla has provided seems like a fairly good one.

The "dark blue science" I'd recommend making another color. There's already blue science. Maybe make tier 4 "yellow" science or "purple" science. Or maybe, since vanilla has completely changed things, you'll have to do something entirely different.

Bob's Enemies may need a buff. In my complete playthrough of the current Bob's suite, I found that eventually, the enemies are pretty much no threat. Now that might not be a bad thing, since a player might want it so that there is always a technological solution to the enemies and never a point when you've maxed out your tech and are still getting overrun. That might be bad. But I did feel like the top tier enemies were a bit light. Maybe there could be a very rare spawn of a kaiju level alien which requires a special effort to defeat as opposed to a normal perimeter of top tier laser turrets. I did find that I never had to build the reinforced concrete. And I never had to build my laser walls tighter than spacing the turrets one-turret width apart. I was running max alien settings as well. The kaiju idea might be the best solution if you could pull it off. But more to the point, it seems that vanilla has now introduced even better weapons with the uranium ammunition. Unsure if they've buffed the enemies though.

I highly recommend asking Angel if you can incorporate his warehouse and advanced water storage mods into your mod suite. I find those to be practically essential, and I've tweaked them to run independently of Angel's just so I can use them.

I also recommend making the rocket require a lot more of the custom Bob's tech and materials. Currently, it's pretty much unchanged from vanilla, and once I've got all my science done, I don't really have a use for all the other tech. The late game still seems to be about launching rockets, so if there's no new "goal" then I recommend making the rocket recipe much more complex. And speaking of the late game goals, I suppose the above kaiju suggestion might be a good one because if you regularly got kaiju attacks which you had to manage with a special defensive effort, that would certainly make the late game much more interesting while requiring people to continue to produce top tier weapons indefinitely.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:Ahh. Missed that thread cause I didn't realize that most of page one in this forum is pinned threads. lol
I should fix that by unpinning most of them. I only really need one of these big general discussion posts pinned.
Recon777 wrote:The "dark blue science" I'd recommend making another color. There's already blue science. Maybe make tier 4 "yellow" science or "purple" science. Or maybe, since vanilla has completely changed things, you'll have to do something entirely different.
Base game has purple still, it's just used for something else. And I already use "Yellow" for "Science pack Gold", which is 1+2+3 for the alien lab.
Also, fairly sure there's a yellow in base game now too. I've also been rethinking even using Science pack gold for "Alien Science", It's time for a full science pack restructure.
Recon777 wrote:Bob's Enemies may need a buff. In my complete playthrough of the current Bob's suite, I found that eventually, the enemies are pretty much no threat. Now that might not be a bad thing, since a player might want it so that there is always a technological solution to the enemies and never a point when you've maxed out your tech and are still getting overrun. That might be bad. But I did feel like the top tier enemies were a bit light. Maybe there could be a very rare spawn of a kaiju level alien which requires a special effort to defeat as opposed to a normal perimeter of top tier laser turrets. I did find that I never had to build the reinforced concrete. And I never had to build my laser walls tighter than spacing the turrets one-turret width apart. I was running max alien settings as well. The kaiju idea might be the best solution if you could pull it off. But more to the point, it seems that vanilla has now introduced even better weapons with the uranium ammunition. Unsure if they've buffed the enemies though.
Did you ever encounter the leviathan? Also one of the things with my enemies is that they all have a weakness and a resistance, you need to find the right ammo to kill them most effectively with.
Recon777 wrote:I highly recommend asking Angel if you can incorporate his warehouse and advanced water storage mods into your mod suite. I find those to be practically essential, and I've tweaked them to run independently of Angel's just so I can use them.
If someone else has done something, I prefer to leave it as it is... The only reason I went against this rule for Greenhouses is because of a very high demand for it, and for Inserters GUI, none of the options I saw felt "Complete".
Recon777 wrote:I also recommend making the rocket require a lot more of the custom Bob's tech and materials. Currently, it's pretty much unchanged from vanilla, and once I've got all my science done, I don't really have a use for all the other tech. The late game still seems to be about launching rockets, so if there's no new "goal" then I recommend making the rocket recipe much more complex. And speaking of the late game goals, I suppose the above kaiju suggestion might be a good one because if you regularly got kaiju attacks which you had to manage with a special defensive effort, that would certainly make the late game much more interesting while requiring people to continue to produce top tier weapons indefinitely.
Rocket changes is on the todo list. The only reason why I haven't done it yet is because CMH did it for me, and I stopped work on the 0.14 mods because I knew that when 0.15 was released, I would need to rewrite so much.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:Did you ever encounter the leviathan? Also one of the things with my enemies is that they all have a weakness and a resistance, you need to find the right ammo to kill them most effectively with.
Nope, I don't recall seeing one titled Leviathan. To be honest, I never had to use any of those custom ammo types. I ended up jamming all this stuff in my Iron Man suit and I could basically walk straight through any sized biter nest with impunity.
http://imgur.com/NWTlmqC

What's Leviathan like? Is it a proper Kaiju level event where you really need to pay attention or he'll demolish your perimeter?
If someone else has done something, I prefer to leave it as it is
Fair enough. Maybe I can bug Angel to release stand-alone versions of these.

Overall, it does sound like you're really on the right track with things. I'm very much looking forward to it. I suppose it'll take several months though. I may have to force myself to stay away from Factorio until then. At least until the essential mods are updated.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Recon777 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Did you ever encounter the leviathan? Also one of the things with my enemies is that they all have a weakness and a resistance, you need to find the right ammo to kill them most effectively with.
Nope, I don't recall seeing one titled Leviathan. To be honest, I never had to use any of those custom ammo types. I ended up jamming all this stuff in my Iron Man suit and I could basically walk straight through any sized biter nest with impunity.
http://imgur.com/NWTlmqC

What's Leviathan like? Is it a proper Kaiju level event where you really need to pay attention or he'll demolish your perimeter?
It's just a monster with really high resistances.

Honestly, it's not that big of a threat unless it's tanking hits for the swarm of biters behind it. That is one time where you may lose a stone wall or two, by itself there's little to worry over. Even though a few of them together can be hard to kill and may destroy a few walls and maybe a turret, they're still a limited threat, depending on the strength of your defense perimeter. Laser alone won't cut it with them, which is something they tank best. (Fortunately)

With infinite science permitting even more OP defenses, even the leviathan biters won't really be much hassle anymore. The inclusion of uranium ammo alongside these infinite upgrades will decimate almost everything in a second with the high bonuses you can reach.

It would be nice to see the higher evolved biters have more varied effects when it comes to defenses. Like the electric spitter shooting an EMP blast to stun laser turrets, but allowing gun turrets to function fine. Something to that effect on the "badass" line of biters would make them, well... more badass.

But in short, I agree the biters aren't really special even at higher evolutions. They're just slightly more beefy, but by the time they get to that point you're likely armed to the teeth and starting infinite research.

jaw2009
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jaw2009 »

I just started using bob's mods they are awesome, but i cant seem to find the lithium ion battery on the mods. what all do i need to get them to appear? i have all the mods except for the enimies one and a few others. i got the research and still no batts.
if all fails i have the replication mod too so i can use it for them if needs be. thanks. Jaw2009.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

jaw2009 wrote:I just started using bob's mods they are awesome, but i cant seem to find the lithium ion battery on the mods. what all do i need to get them to appear? i have all the mods except for the enimies one and a few others. i got the research and still no batts.
if all fails i have the replication mod too so i can use it for them if needs be. thanks. Jaw2009.
It should be unlocked via battery 2 research once you've researched Lithium processing, and cobalt processing.
It's also on the bob's intermediate products tab, not the base game intermediates tab.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

HOSH
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by HOSH »

Sorry to but in, but a big thing I found with bob's and other mods if you know you need something, but it is not researched so you can create it, use the research t screen and just search for the item... It has helped me a lot with bobs. I had vanilla partially memorized but still forget the progression for bob's a lot of the time. Sometime you have to search for a similar word for it to come up, this one example would be battery, pulls up all 3 battery researches and all the other the battery packs.

Helveg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Helveg »

Hello,

I was sent here to report bugs from one of your other posts. When I add bobplates 0.14.0 Factorio throws the error "Error in assignID, item name 'basic-circuit-board' does not exist".

I removed the only mention in the entire bobplates 0.14.0 folder to basic-circuit-board. It checked whether data.raw.item contained a def for it in your entity-recipe-update.lua, which should just return false and not cause Factorio to demand that the definition exists... Even without the only mention of it removed it still won't start, yet if I remove the folder bobplates 0.14.0 out of my mods folder, the error is solved.

I am puzzled because if Factorio is looking for the definition of "basic-circuit-board" it means that somewhere something should mention this, but it doesn't?

EDIT/SOLVED: It was in only combination with angelsrefining 0.6.13 where it still called to that outdated definition.

Edgeek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Edgeek »

When I click the button in the upper left corner I get an error:

Code: Select all

Error while running event on_gui_checked_state_changed (ID 3)
Unknown style bob-logistics-checkbox
stack traceback:
	__boblogistics__/control.lua:198: in function 'create_gui'
	__boblogistics__/control.lua:231: in function 'show_gui_options'
	__boblogistics__/control.lua:337: in function <__boblogistics__/control.lua:334>
Use version boblogistics_0.14.5; Factorio 0.14.23

KiwiHawk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

Edgeek wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:26 am

stack traceback:
	__boblogistics__/control.lua:337: in function <__boblogistics__/control.lua:334>
This is a really really old version of both the base game as well as Bob's mods. Six years ago. I suggest that you upgrade to the latest version.
Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

KiwiHawk wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:45 am
Edgeek wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:26 am

stack traceback:
This is a really really old version of both the base game as well as Bob's mods. Six years ago. I suggest that you upgrade to the latest version.
0.14.23 is last version with 32bit support. So I can guess this guy has old pc

Return to “Bob's mods”