[0.12.x][v0.12.12] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Which of the new v0.7 additions do you like the best?

Advanced Electronics 3 with CPUs
25%
The Nitrogen/Ceramic chain
17%
The new Pumps and barrel/bottle recipes
11%
The new types of pipes
11%
Factory reballancing
14%
The new Electrolyser graphics!
23%

Total votes: 234

Quelthias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.12] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by Quelthias »

Thus I need blue science to upgrade chemical mixers to electro-chemical or multi-purpose.

Thank you for letting me know, I use factorio.rotol.me and the current recipe listed on the site requires the chemical furnace.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello Bob,

maybe you can implement this fix permanently: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=32503#p229721 ?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

I just got to the point in my build where I noticed that the Electrolyser 3 requires tungsten, where the Electrolyser 2 is just steel and electronic circuit boards. The pattern so far has been that the Mk3 items require titanium and Mk4 requires tungsten.

This creates an awkward situation when pairing electrolysers with chemical plants of the same tier. For someone with a titanium but not tungsten setup, you can make the Mk3 chemical plants but only the Mk2 electrolysers.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

actually, the pattern is different between different factories. Most of them go Iron-Steel-Titanium-Nitinol. No tungsten required at all. Another often used chain goes Iron-Invar-Tungsten-Tunsten alloy.

however, both of these are 4 step, the true chain is 5 step, it's just rarely used.
Iron -> Steel -> Invar/Brass/Aluminium -> Titanium/Tungsten -> Titanium/Tungsten Alloy (Nitinol, Copper tungsten or Tungsten carbide)
There are a few other variations too, such as those using stone and ceramics, or copper and copper alloys, or even Cobalt. But the main two chains are as mentioned above, starting with iron and iron alloys, and going up to either titanium, or tungsten, both of which are a T4 metal (T4 on my chart is defined as requiring science pack 3)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

With the gas venting pump, is it not able to be connected to the circuit network? I'd like to vent excess gas, but I'm not sure how this is usually done. Venting drains EVERYTHING on the line. But I'm wanting to build a large water electrolysis area and put both hydrogen and oxygen on the bus. Each would be used at variable rates, but I don't want production stalled if there's a backup of one or the other. So venting is important. But venting only seems to work if you want to totally not use one of the outputs. How can I supply BOTH hydrogen and oxygen for general use?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Recon777 wrote:With the gas venting pump, is it not able to be connected to the circuit network? I'd like to vent excess gas, but I'm not sure how this is usually done. Venting drains EVERYTHING on the line. But I'm wanting to build a large water electrolysis area and put both hydrogen and oxygen on the bus. Each would be used at variable rates, but I don't want production stalled if there's a backup of one or the other. So venting is important. But venting only seems to work if you want to totally not use one of the outputs. How can I supply BOTH hydrogen and oxygen for general use?
Put a regular pump in front of the vent, wire the pump to a storage tank. Set the pump to anything > 2000 (or any value less than the max for the tank).
Alternatively you can add the flow control mod and use the overflow valve

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Oooh, a pump before the vent. Brilliant. Thanks.

Quelthias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quelthias »

I have hit another snag in my production line.
QuartzSiliconBug.jpg
QuartzSiliconBug.jpg (688.43 KiB) Viewed 6953 times
The electrolyzer is not accepting "item.name.silicon-ore" Is there another ore called Quartz (silicon Ore)?

Or is there something I need to process it?

Or should I change the LUA files?

I am using Bobs mods updated to 0.14.0 (plates, ores, etc.)
Also a few above such as library 14.3, Warfare 0.14.3, boblogistics 14.5 and etc.
Attachments
Item.Name Silicon Ore.jpg
Item.Name Silicon Ore.jpg (702.71 KiB) Viewed 6953 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Reply is on screenshot you posted.
Quartz you have is from Beyond mod so it's a different quartz then the one needed by recipe. You need to find bob's quartz and it will work then.

Quelthias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quelthias »

orzelek wrote:Reply is on screenshot you posted.
Quartz you have is from Beyond mod so it's a different quartz then the one needed by recipe. You need to find bob's quartz and it will work then.
That worked!

Whats weird is the beyond mod quartz can make glass but not silicon wafers (or silicon plate)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The reason my item is named "Quartz (Silicon ore)" is because the item is actually "quartz" internally, and used to be named just as "Quartz". But since, actually quite early on in the tree, things start to require the metal "Silicon", people were asking "Where do I get Silicon ore?". Well, the answer was "It's Quartz", which confused people who didn't realise that Quartz is a silica-oxide crystal.

Couple that with Galena (Which is actually internally named as "lead-ore"), Bauxite and Rutile, and people were finding it difficult to associate an ore with the metal you get from it. So all the ores that were not named "Metal ore", where renamed to "Name (Metal Ore)", This allowed them to keep their technical name, but made it obvious what metal you get from them. The only exception to that rule is that Cobalt ore is still named Cobaltite, because, hopefully, that one is obvious. Also, by default you'll never find it in the game, because you're expected to reduce Cobalt Oxide from Copper in the advanced copper processing recipe.

If other people add ores that use names differently than me (Which if they stick to the "metal-ore" system, should only be an issue with Quartz, Aluminium and Titanium) then that's not my fault.

To note: Why do Quartz, Bauxite and Rutile not conform to "metal-ore" like everything else? Simple. At the time, the "Big mods" in play were DyTech and FMod. Both mods added ores, some where common to both mods, but Cassiterite, Bauxite and Rutile were in FMod that weren't in DyTech. Cassiterite is Tin ore, was also in DyTech, so I opted to go with the more conventional tin-ore name, but kept the other real world names for the other two. Quartz was one of my first unique ores to enter the game, which was basically my alternative to DyTech's Sand. Neither of which had a "metal-ore" name(in DyTech, it wasn't used to obtain a metal, so makes more sense there than my use case). Also why "Silicon" instead of "silicon-plate" internally? again, I found other mods using silicon, and was requested to have compatibility between them, simple solution is to use the same item names they did.

Anyway, if they have a "Silicon ore" item, I can understand where the confusion arises if it can't actually be used to make silicon metal.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

new resources and recipes adds?

ohmusama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmusama »

Maybe I am missing something, but I'm trying to setup a mega bob's base, and there appears to be no barreling or bottling of sulfur dioxide. Any suggestions here?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It's one I missed, probably for some reason that I've forgot.

you could Vent it, or presuming you actually want the gas, convert it into the desired product first, EG, Sulfur (Which is a solid and doesn't need barrelling) or Sulfuric Acid (Which can be barrelled).

IF a fluid in my mod can't be bottled, or barrelled, look at the step before or after, and usually you can do something with it.
I also have a Patreon.

ohmusama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmusama »

If I were to add this to your mod for my playthrough, would you consider this a gas, or fluid? (to put in a bottle, or barrel)

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

ohmusama wrote:If I were to add this to your mod for my playthrough, would you consider this a gas, or fluid? (to put in a bottle, or barrel)
Sulphur dioxide is a gas.

ohmusama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmusama »

Also missing Tungsten Acid barreling :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ohmusama wrote:Also missing Tungsten Acid barreling :D
The main reason why that is missing though is because that one was basically designed to go back to back with the step that comes after it. Tungstic acid is only ones for one thing, so in theory, you can process it straight into the next stage as you make it, then ship that off to make either Tungsten plates, Tungsten Carbide, or copper tungsten. I think those are the only 3 intermediates.
I also have a Patreon.

ohmusama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmusama »

I just keep adding the recipes that are missing as I find them. Next on the list for me is nitrogen dioxide. Then I'll add the sulfer/nitric acid mixture, then glycerol, then nitroglycerin, which is a funny thing to "pipe" around let a lone put in a barrel. Maybe I'll put those in canisters.

The setup looks something like this, where the fluids are flown in by bots, and chunks of the base are disabled when not needed so no beacon drain.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, those that you mentioned have the gaps for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Nitrogen Dioxide is just made by combining nitrogen and oxygen, and is only used to make nitric acid(And maybe a ceramic which was added later), all 3 of which can be put in bottles/barrels.
Sulfuric/Nitric acid mixture is a case similar to tungstic acid. It is made from Nitrogen Dioxide, and used to make Nitroglycerin, and Glycerol again only used for a single product, Nitroglycerin, which is produced from light oil(or is it heavy oil?), which again can be barrelled.

and nitroglycerin for obvious reasons, though I agree piping is a bit dumb, but you need to get it to the factory somehow.

In any case, the idea was that you're supposed to Produce nitroglycerin in a single factory block that takes in nitrogen, oxygen, light oil and sulfuric acid directly. Or compressed air instead of nitrogen, still need extra oxygen though.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”