Icons for Train Station Names and Chat

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

djw801
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Icons for Train Station Names and Chat

Post by djw801 »

Not sure where to post this, so if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to wherever is appropriate.

I'm trying to name a train station with either an Icon for a crude oil barrel or for the assembler recipe for emptying a crude oil barrel.
Normally when I'm trying to name something with an Icon I go to the wiki page for the item/fluid/whatever and just look up the prototype type and the internal name.

I've noticed that the page for barrels is missing that information.
I'm sure I can figure out how to name the train stations using the pattern I've noticed in other icons, i.e. [type=name-name].

While poking around on the wiki to try to find this information, I was not only unable to find the information, but I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be a page dedicated to explaining how to name nameable entities with Icons. Nor does there seem to be a page explaining how to use them in the chat for multi player.

If there is a page for naming and chat with Icons feel free to direct me to it. [and maybe make it easier to find.] Either way, it would be very useful to have the missing information added to the wiki page for barrels.

Thanks, DW

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Icons for Train Station Names and Chat

Post by ickputzdirwech »

See rich text. I agree with you it is not very intuitive to find. You can also find out internal names in game by pressing ctrl-shift-f when hovering over an item, recipe or technology.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Barrel names are procedurally generated. Especially for modded fluids the pattern is likely to not be what-you-expect. The easiest way to get the icon (not the name) is to:
  1. Pick up the item with your mouse.
  2. Open the chat console.
  3. Shift+LeftClick with the item onto the chat console.
  4. Press Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C to copy the icon.
  5. Close the chat.
  6. Open whatever you want and press Ctrl+V to paste the icon.
For the name you can also F4 -> Ctrl+F "show-debug-info-in-tooltips".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

The rich text page is now also linked from the train stop page. The console page already mentions using rich text in chat. The rich text page explains the shift-click option to insert icons, which means you do not need to remember or use internal item names.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 pm
The rich text page is now also linked from the train stop page. The console page already mentions using rich text in chat. The rich text page explains the shift-click option to insert icons, which means you do not need to remember or use internal item names.
Would it be difficult to make shift+lmb work on the actual train stop name? (Or other textboxes)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Wiki Talk”