Factorio Wiki's MediaWiki version

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Factorio Wiki's MediaWiki version

Post by TheWombatGuru »

Hello,

The current MediaWiki version used on the Factorio Wiki is 1.19.3, could it be updated? I would like to use these functions: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Mag ... other_page.

Greetings,

TheWombatGuru

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio Wiki's MediaWiki version

Post by dyf123 »

Which version is hoped to will be used?1.23.5 is stable and LTS,but 1.22.12 is legacy.

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

The current 1.19.3 is also stable, but i'm hoping for 1.23 or higher for some functions that were added in that version.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I'm afraid that some things might get broken by the update, are those new things needed?

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

Well, we don't really need them, but it would be nice to use them. And what things would break? Things that can't be fixed, or things that just require some work, because I would be willing to fix the then broken things.

TheWombatGuru

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would also help out to fix broken pages, but this has to be coordinated a bit:
- schedule. In week xx we make the update. and if the things are broken a week for fixing.
- emergency plan, if everything goes wrong. A return to the old version should be possible.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

I agree with ssilk

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

Sorry for necroing.

Along with the rising complexity of the game goes the need for proper documentation.
Forums usually bundle a lot of documentation and direct feedback/support, but using this as a base for documentation is hard, especially if the reader hasn't been there from the start and joins during the process.
A (media)wiki is not the consumer/provider interface like forums. It's ability to enable users to participate and contribute are limited, it's user-base smaller, and it's use as a multiplicator of usefull ideas and influences is not that strong.
A (media)wiki is foremost a knowledge database, giving (in most cases) a short summary or introduction in a first layer of information, but -can- lead into deeper layers that provide further insight and so on.

Though administrating a wiki costs time and resources (and therefore money), it can be a useful tool. As long as users contribute content, it grows on its own (not everything has be be filled in by employees), but it has to be moderated and supervised on a regular basis. Enabling these contributing users the access to a comfortable editing environment and user-rights -can- influence quantity and quality of the written content.

I'd like to see the wiki updated, and some expansions implemented. I am aware that this would cost some hundred dollars (or * 27.02 Czech korunas).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's not the money, it's the time it will cost. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Wiki Talk”