Consistency in names with more than one word

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Consistency in names with more than one word

Post by FatMcK »

Another thing that should be discussed. Currently there is no consistency about page naming when the name has two or more words in it. In detail if the second (third, etc.) word begins with a big or small letter.

Some examples:

Iron ore
Iron Plate
Active Provider chest

This often makes it hard to edit pages when you try to create links. So should there be a standard?

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Consistency in names with more than one word

Post by TheWombatGuru »

I use https://crowdin.com/project/factorio for official names and capitalization

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Most of the current names are coming from a simple converter, which the devs did to make the very first version of the wiki. It is in most cases "Upper lower lower". If not, then the page is added after that.

Well. Inconsistency. Ugly.

I would prefer to keep that "Upper lower lower", cause it matches with the programming style.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FatMcK »

I also dislike the inconsistency. Looks like the game itself has currently no standard.

Upper lower lower seems for me to be right too. Beside that I would also be ok with Upper Upper Upper as long there will be a standard for the wiki (independent to what the game names are).

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

I think we should name it as it is named in-game, I'm sure the developers will make the name consistent over-time. It is a wiki for the game so I think we should do it the way the game does it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. The in-game names are the same as in the xml, and that are lc. With the first conversion they implemented an uppercase for the first letter, and that was it. :)
But well, anything which looks like a standard is ok for me.

FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FatMcK »

Ok, ingame names then. :P

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Comming from https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... e_proposal

The problem is: Nearly every page has this error. Look around in the wiki. It's Transport belt, Logistic network etc.

It comes from the first conversion by the devs, 2 years ago, directly from the code, they did only an uppercase for the first letter, not the whole word.
But, well, not to late to change this... I'm sure it is possible to change everything into the other direction.

And the longer I see other wikis I think we have decided wrong here, because the question "Why didn't you just put everything in uppercase like everybody else?" will come every 1/2 year. :)

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

I vote for Upper lower lower

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

Yes this is a common problem. Mostly related to the fact that different people work different with names. At some point we have to review all files/pages and rename according to a proper guideline to be yet defined. This will break a lot of current links but in the end it will improve the overall structure of the wiki and the extendability in the future in my eyes.

As there is another discussion regarding the naming itself going, i would propose following according to previous discussion:

"Upper-lower-lower.png" for images. (about 95% of the pictures already follow this guideline)
"Upper-lower-lower-research.png" for images of Technologies. (lots of pictures use this already)
"Upper_lower_lower" for Item/normal pages, so to be addressed even when used with blank spaces.
"Upper_lower_lower_research" for technology pages. (Have to check if that is actually working.)

I found some pictures like "inserterOnSand.png" or "CarGuiRu.png". So a naming convention for the standard items and techs Is easy done. Problematic are the non standard pictures. Question is if pictures should remain English and refer to the English gui so we done need "Furnace-gui-en", "Furnace-gui-fr", "Furnace-gui-es".. ? As the appearance is the same always this would make quite a good load of pictures obsolete, and we don't need to decide where to put the language

Additionally I don't know how many mod content should be covered by this wiki. So it might be a good idea to tag the images and pages with the modname, but this would make the links breaking the text flow again.

Commander Keen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Commander Keen »

Hi.
I also think we should go for this:
Upper-lower-lower.png" for images. (about 95% of the pictures already follow this guideline)
"Upper-lower-lower-research.png" for images of Technologies. (lots of pictures use this already)
"Upper_lower_lower" for Item/normal pages, so to be addressed even when used with blank spaces.
"Upper_lower_lower_research" for technology pages. (Have to check if that is actually working.)

Makes a lot of sense to me. Same rules as on Wikipedia.

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

Seems like german elite Engineering. I like it. :) Saw you started with proper german wiki Translation. Let me know when you Need help, i Focus mainly on english cause this is the Information base for about 80% of users i think.

MouraoBH
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MouraoBH »

Hey everyone.

I've started the pt-br translation but I will eventually help out with the english version so I would like to introduce myself.

Should I go for the convention Upper-lower-lower? Since the pt-br version is at the beginning it is pretty easy to correct it. Please let me know.

Return to “Wiki Talk”