Created a Crafting template

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Created a Crafting template

Post by TheWombatGuru »

Hello guys,

Today, I created a crafting template for the wiki, it is currently used on https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... orage_Tank .
This template is easy to use, and one does not have to memorize the names of the icons because they are converted to more memorable names like "Iron Plate" instead of "iron-plate" in a sub template.
On some pages like Assembling Machine 1, other info is given in the hard coded crafting grid, I think this should be in the infobox and the crafting area should be for crafting only.

Do you guys like the template, do you miss a feature, or something else? Please leave a comment here or on a talk page of one of the new templates.

Greetings, TheWombatGuru

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Created a Crafting template

Post by TheWombatGuru »

Also, in this template the same code can be used for all languages, this can be seen on the Storage Tank/nl page. The images link to the correct Dutch articles even though there is no extra code for that on the page itself. Kinda cool in my opinion.

TheWombatGuru

FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FatMcK »

I like it, seems much easier to use. But I think in the long run the recipes will all be moved to the Infocard templates. Is it possible to include your crafting template there?

Edit: It seems to be problematic with items where the image links have different names. For example Iron armor where the image file is basic-armor.

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

yes, it can be moved to the infocard, though, I won't do that just now, I'll first test some more.
With regards to your question about iron armor, you need to "learn" the template that you want to display the file basic-armor when typing iron armor, you can add that into the template Template:ConvertName ( I added it for you ), and from now on you can always refer to it by typing Iron Armor (and also still by typing basic-armor)

TheWombatGuru

FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FatMcK »

Cool, had a look at the ConvertName template. Easy to edit too. I thought meanwhile about renaming all icons, but your solution is simpler and better.

And I have a suggestion for the crafting template. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to change the info input into something like this:

Code: Select all

{{Crafting
|input1 = Iron Plate, 20
|input2 = Steel Plate, 5
|input3 =
|input4 =
|input5 =
|time = 3
|output = Storage Tank, 5
|raw1 = Iron Plate, 20
|raw2 = Steel Plate, 5
|raw3 =
|raw4 =
|raw5 =
}}
It looks more bulked at first, but I think it would be even easier to copy&paste edit recipes later on.

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

yes, we could do it that way, but i think it's easier for the editor to do it the way it is now. your way is a lot easier to make though, then you don't even need Template:Crafting/parsing

Return to “Wiki Talk”