Server setup - Wiki change

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

Post Reply
Demon1337
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Server setup - Wiki change

Post by Demon1337 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 pm

So as i have applied for the Wiki editing and plan on helping get everything in a specific section in line i have a bit of a question for the community as a whole.

Just to give a little background. I wrong a how-to guide for setting up a Factorio headless server on a Linux system. Generally this is a guide I hope to be useful for even the newest of people to Linux and servers. However, here is the conundrum. What would be a better approach. Totally dropping the current setup and bringing it into my guide or using a link method to link to my guide and proper formatting all around of course.


My guide in RAW format for reference. https://pastebin.com/d5STvfqH

Yes, this is my first post on the forums. I have been mainly on reddit and in my notepad++ writing this guide and making a script.
Demon1337 - Server Hobbyist and hope to be future developer.

User avatar
Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am

Re: Server setup - Wiki change

Post by Bilka » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Please make your guide in the tutorial namespace and link it the on the multiplayer page. Remenber that WIP pages have to be in your userspace.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Demon1337
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Server setup - Wiki change

Post by Demon1337 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Bilka wrote:Please make your guide in the tutorial namespace and link it the on the multiplayer page. Remenber that WIP pages have to be in your userspace.
I understand that, however at what point would it make more since to update the current server page? Even as someone more advanced with Linux i find the current guide to be lacking.
Demon1337 - Server Hobbyist and hope to be future developer.

User avatar
Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am

Re: Server setup - Wiki change

Post by Bilka » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Demon1337 wrote:
Bilka wrote:Please make your guide in the tutorial namespace and link it the on the multiplayer page. Remenber that WIP pages have to be in your userspace.
I understand that, however at what point would it make more since to update the current server page? Even as someone more advanced with Linux i find the current guide to be lacking.
If that is the case, I think the best idea would be that you copy the current multiplayer page to your userspace, and modify it to include your guide (if it doesnt end up too much longer). Then we could have a look at that page, make some adjustments if needed, and then it would get put into the main wiki.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Demon1337
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Server setup - Wiki change

Post by Demon1337 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Bilka wrote:
Demon1337 wrote:
Bilka wrote:Please make your guide in the tutorial namespace and link it the on the multiplayer page. Remenber that WIP pages have to be in your userspace.
I understand that, however at what point would it make more since to update the current server page? Even as someone more advanced with Linux i find the current guide to be lacking.
If that is the case, I think the best idea would be that you copy the current multiplayer page to your userspace, and modify it to include your guide (if it doesnt end up too much longer). Then we could have a look at that page, make some adjustments if needed, and then it would get put into the main wiki.

Thank you, thats what i was looking for. I will have to take some time to sit and write it all out and how to integrate the good points to the article. Due to the range of distros that Linux has it may be a good idea to have a server page dedicated to Linux though i will need to investigate further on certain aspects before i can say that would be a needed venture. I will gladly however copy the current guide out and try to piece meal it into my guide. Though i think length may be hard to ignore.
Demon1337 - Server Hobbyist and hope to be future developer.

Post Reply

Return to “Wiki Talk”