The wiki

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

The wiki

Post by Teurlinx »

I've been working a little on the wiki and have noticed the following:

Some users really want information about how optimally to build Science pack 1, 2, how many wire factories per electronic circuit factory etc.

Others will greatly resent this information spoiled for them. For them it's about discovering the optimal ratios themselves rather than build from an IKEA manual.

I suggest we decide on a line to take for the wiki on providing this kind of 'spoiler' information.

Yemala
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: The wiki

Post by Yemala »

Wouldn't it make the most sense to either have the supply chain/manufacturing information included but simply hidden by default (spoiler tag, or similar), or if that isn't supported, just outside of the 'main' article? Either way, there are no instant spoilers for someone just looking for documentation, but the information is available to people who want to optimize.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I wouldn't like optimal guides in the main article. I'd rather have some secondary articles with tutorials for people who want it.
Ignore this

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I planned to do like Gammro said.

There is also a lot more to think about, then just this. There are different views on the wiki: The beginners, the technical description of each item, those which want to know more, those which think they haven't undertstood anything, modders. And of course those, which want to have a hint, but it should not reveal too much. :)

Each type of user has another wish and the job as document writer is to get aware of them and bring the users to the information they need, even, if that changes with every new version. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Wiki Talk”