The wiki is gone

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

The wiki is gone

Post by slpwnd »

As mentioned before couple of times, the wiki has been attacked by spam bots. The result was even worse than we expected. We had to shut down the wiki recently to prevent further spamming. The wiki database had over 5GB. We hoped to clean it by keeping only the non-spam users and deleting everything else. However in process of doing so, the database has been severely damaged and the useful data couldn't be recovered anymore.

It is quite a big loss especially considering there were the tutorials for modding and scripting. The experience we have had with php and mediawiki has been rather bad. We don't have plans to start a new wiki in the close future. However if someone does we will support him in his efforts.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The wiki is gone

Post by ssilk »

Whaaa. And I was thinking last week, to make me PDF-copies of all wiki-pages, because the Internet is so bad here.
If not all data is lost and you can wait you can send me a DB-dump, but I'm home again after October 1st.

Quite interesting: the search engines has cached the pages:
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=factor ... dWCirwhLBn

If you're fast enough you can rescue the stuff like this....

And quite interesting:
http://factorio.wikidot.com/
http://factorio.wikia.com/wiki/Factorio ... ity_Portal

... Help is near... :) and I want use this to link to this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=1270
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

@ssilk:
Thanks for offering help. We have contacted the service provider and asked him whether he has a recent backup of the database. We will let you know how it turns out.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

No problem.
Some questions to the starting wiki-portals from the links above: I mean it doesn't make sense to have many. This is counter-useful and will lead to ugly effects. So I think you are forced to make a decission, which one you will support or just tell the direction, or if there is there a preference... Think this is really needed!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

factorio wikia is finally alive with the help of Novakat77. NOW I need to learn how to do this shit.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

The wikidot one was made by us. It was an early dead-end experiment.

It seems that we will be able to revive the old wiki (including all the spam). Kovarex should put it online in the matter of days. As mentioned before, the best way to proceed seems to be to manually copy the pages (or maybe use a crawler that copies everything that is transitionally accessible from the main page). Anyway we can assume that the data from the old wiki will be saved. Which is a great news:)

The question is what next. I think that we do need a wiki. However one of the problems is that we don't have the time and experience to manage it. We can take care of the more technical part of the wiki (modding / scripting references and tutorials) though. But we could really use the help with the rest. Anyway If you guys can recommend wiki software / hosting that you have good experiences with, then let us know.

TroZ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TroZ »

This is good news that the wiki will be back shortly.

Not just for modding information (for which the wiki was indispensable), but also just for basic game play concepts (it took me quite a while to figure out about using both sides of a transport belt).

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

TroZ wrote: Not just for modding information (for which the wiki was indispensable), but also just for basic game play concepts (it took me quite a while to figure out about using both sides of a transport belt).
We decided to put this information to tips and tricks as well btw.

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

slpwnd wrote:The wikidot one was made by us. It was an early dead-end experiment.

It seems that we will be able to revive the old wiki (including all the spam). Kovarex should put it online in the matter of days. As mentioned before, the best way to proceed seems to be to manually copy the pages (or maybe use a crawler that copies everything that is transitionally accessible from the main page). Anyway we can assume that the data from the old wiki will be saved. Which is a great news:)

The question is what next. I think that we do need a wiki. However one of the problems is that we don't have the time and experience to manage it. We can take care of the more technical part of the wiki (modding / scripting references and tutorials) though. But we could really use the help with the rest. Anyway If you guys can recommend wiki software / hosting that you have good experiences with, then let us know.
I wondering if i can copy the modding and scripting tutorials and put it up on wikia.That way if one of the website fall,the other has a backup.

Return to “Wiki Talk”