page name

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

Vivaloz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

page name

Post by Vivaloz »

Hello, how do I change the name of an article? I am currently in the process of translating from English to Dutch.

Also, am I allowed to come up with items names myself for the Dutch version of the wiki? The official factorio translation seen for all Dutch players contains TONS of spelling mistakes and sound like they were translated with google translate. I can however, translate them properly.

Thanks!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: page name

Post by Bilka »

You can translate page names using https://wiki.factorio.com/Template:Translation/nl. Just click on "Edit" on the page and the format you need should be obviuos from the existing source text. Adding translation there will also autotranslate links that use Template:TransLink (often shortened to just {{L|item name}}). You can find some more useful information about translations on https://wiki.factorio.com/Factorio:Translation_guide.

Generally, it is preferred that you use the official translations for item names. However, you can improve the official translations by contributing on crowdin. It seems like Dutch doesn't have a proofreader there, which explains why translations might not be of the best quality.

Thank you for the translation efforts!
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

You can find all the official translations in 2 text files the Factorio game directory. For the Steam version of the game in the default install location it is (for Dutch):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\base\locale\nl\base.cfg"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\core\locale\nl\core.cfg"

Load both files in 2 tabs of the text editor of your choice and use the official names from there instead of searching for it ingame or making up own translations for existing official translations. In the end, you need to make your own translation only for the actual wiki text, not for all the ingame stuff. However, if the official translation is faulty, consider improving it at Crowdin. Just make an account there, rework a bad translation, and usually it will just show up with the next patch of the game.

By the way, check DeepL for good machine translations: https://www.deepl.com/translator
At least for German, you can use Deepl translations from English to German almost verbatim, only reworking game specific terminology. I did half of all the German wiki pages with the help of Deepl. If you're lucky, Dutch is as good.

Vivaloz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vivaloz »

Tertius wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:48 pm
You can find all the official translations in 2 text files the Factorio game directory. For the Steam version of the game in the default install location it is (for Dutch):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\base\locale\nl\base.cfg"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\core\locale\nl\core.cfg"

Load both files in 2 tabs of the text editor of your choice and use the official names from there instead of searching for it ingame or making up own translations for existing official translations. In the end, you need to make your own translation only for the actual wiki text, not for all the ingame stuff. However, if the official translation is faulty, consider improving it at Crowdin. Just make an account there, rework a bad translation, and usually it will just show up with the next patch of the game.

By the way, check DeepL for good machine translations: https://www.deepl.com/translator
At least for German, you can use Deepl translations from English to German almost verbatim, only reworking game specific terminology. I did half of all the German wiki pages with the help of Deepl. If you're lucky, Dutch is as good.
Definitely going to change some things on Crowdin. I don't need a digital translator, because I am Dutch myself. Dutch is a special language for translating, because the majority of the Dutch will probably not even notice the mistakes. To be honest, for some rules in our language, I only see mistakes. I, however, can spot these and translate them correctly. Thanks!

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Honestly, trying to translate everything from scratch is so tedious and so straining, you will likely stop after a few articles. Short articles are ok, but once you get to the real big ones like the general articles about oil processing, electricity or circuit network, or the tutorials, you will probably lose interest. The texts are endless, endless. It's just too much. There were quite a few started but never finished manual translations I found while going over everything.

I am German myself, but I always started with a digital German translation to get a basic translation as start. This is much easier than doing everything from scratch. I can really recommend that approach. Better half machine with manual correction than doing everything from scratch and never finish. 5 minutes for a short article, one hour for the longer ones. You're actually alone, and if you spend a whole evening for only one article, you will never finish.

Vivaloz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vivaloz »

Tertius wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:35 pm
Honestly, trying to translate everything from scratch is so tedious and so straining, you will likely stop after a few articles. Short articles are ok, but once you get to the real big ones like the general articles about oil processing, electricity or circuit network, or the tutorials, you will probably lose interest. The texts are endless, endless. It's just too much. There were quite a few started but never finished manual translations I found while going over everything.

I am German myself, but I always started with a digital German translation to get a basic translation as start. This is much easier than doing everything from scratch. I can really recommend that approach. Better half machine with manual correction than doing everything from scratch and never finish. 5 minutes for a short article, one hour for the longer ones. You're actually alone, and if you spend a whole evening for only one article, you will never finish.
You underestimate my patience. There's 418 articles left to translate for Dutch and I'm going to translate all of them. Manually.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

I am dutch. can I help?
My long time gripe would be that I would like to translate "inserter"with "grijper" instead of "robotarm":)

Vivaloz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vivaloz »

disentius wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:26 pm
I am dutch. can I help?
My long time gripe would be that I would like to translate "inserter"with "grijper" instead of "robotarm":)
Daar ben ik het volledig mee eens. Ik zou willen dat al die machines wat 'robuuster' zouden klinken. Grijper is een goed voorbeeld daarvan. Ook vind ik dat 'bijter' gewoon raar klinkt. Die beesten zouden knagers moeten heten.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

@Vivaloz I saw you started translating many articles. If you don't mind, I'd like to share my knowledge I built translating almost every German wiki article over the course of the past year (even existing ones, since they were very outdated):
  • you don't need to translate the update history according to the official translation guide: https://wiki.factorio.com/Factorio:Translation_guide
  • Use the {{L|Item name}} macro instead of [[Item name/nl|Dutch item name]] if possible. This will save you much work looking up the Dutch item name. Links to not yet existing translated page names will appear read and in English - instead of reverting to the [[Item name/nl|Dutch item name]] construct, add the translation of Item name to the Dutch translation template, so it will actually appear in Dutch.
  • create a lookup table with terminology you intend to use throughout all articles. This ensures unified terminology. May be the table I created on my user page can help finding frequently used terminology often translated differently (however, its probably language specific): https://wiki.factorio.com/User:Tertius3
  • a unified terminology is important. For example in German, you need to define how you translate power, electric power, electricity, current, power production, power consumption in a unified way. It's all around electricity, but you have words like "Strom", "Energie", "Stromverbrauch", "Energieverbrauch", "Elektrizität". Or the circuit network. In German, I found translations like "Schaltnetz", "Schaltungsnetz", "Schaltnetzwerk", "Schaltungsnetzwerk", "Netzwerkschaltung" throughout the wiki. I unified all of them to "Schaltungsnetz" according to the official ingame translation. I'm sure the are Dutch equivalents you need to decide which ones to use as well.
  • clean up the main translation template Template:Translation/nl. Organize by categories and sort alphabetically to detect duplicates. For example, the Dutch template has 3 duplicates of Coal. This helps translation performance. See the German translation template, in my opinion I sorted and categorized it reasonably well. It started as 47kb monster, I was able to shrink it to 38k by removing outdated and duplicate text.

Return to “Wiki Talk”