Modding & Game Terminology & Dictionary Consensus. GLOSSARY

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Modding & Game Terminology & Dictionary Consensus. GLOSSARY

Post by i_i »

https://wiki.factorio.com/Glossary shared by by Amarula thanks for the Glossaric, i was looking for that a common term used for Modders
use Ctrl + F to find the word your looking for.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Keyboard_bindings  List of ShortCut Keys.
  • Modders Terms also included
  • Alien = Bitters and Worms and other NPC you encounter in the game. the ones that keeps you company in the Lonely Planet.
  • Base = where your Spawn point is Located and All your installations are clumped together
  • Belts = Conveyor belts.
  •   Lanes = a single belt has 2 lanes. a left & right towards it's moving Direction.
  • Bootstrap (Phase) = Very start of the game trying to Reach the Fuel powered Drills.
  • Bitters = Alien Race that messess what you build and kills you in the process the only enemies you get in the game.
  •   Worms = immovable defensive creatures that protect Spawners.
  •   Spawners = where Bitters originate to give your life meaning.
  •   Spitters = aliens that fire projectiles. and can move.
  • Spawn = a point where you get revived when you get killed. or hitch a ride from a moving train's path.
  • Bus = multiple belts side by side in long paths.
  • Burner Phase = Establishing LABS & USING Fueled Facilities.
  • Character = see Engineer
  •   Engineer = the one that's running around the map like it's head chopped off trying to figure out and fix the industry its' trying to build while being attack by bitters.
  • Chunk = a piece of size of a map.
  • Entities = items placed on the MAP.
  • Ingredients = see mats
  •   Mats = (Materials) = ingredients that you need to make an installation or science potion, etc...
  • Mid-game = when your able to use Steam Engines. and start Exploring Resource patches.
    Where you reached past the Green Science. and trying to reach these Stages of Development
  •   Vehicles & Train Stage.
  •   Solar Stage.
  •   Armor Stage. = the fancy upgrades you place on your character QoL, Slots
  •   Weapons Stage
  •   Laser Turrets Stage
  •   Bots Stage.
  •   Nuke Stage.
  •   Rocket Stage.
  • Mods = Features that players of this game made that you download to make your game better or Crash.
    Benefiting from their work, you enjoy that you don't even give thanks and buy them coffee or send them money when they beg for it. because they are starving and Economy can't give them work that they like or find sufficient.
  • Modders = see MODS. skills that they have and we don't.
  • ModPack = combination of Mods
  • Moddable = Mods that have settings in the Menu Screen before initializing the game.
  • Lib = (Libraries) = commonly used code in their different mods.
  • Loader = a mod alternative for inserters.
  • LUA =
  • Nauvis = the whole area of the map including unseen. Where you spend time enjoying yourself "mostly" alone till visitors come.
  • Outpost = Constructing Buildings in the remote ore/oil patches.
  • Pollution = installations on the map emit, that players that usually ignore and wonder why bitters keeps messing their base.
  • RailKill = when you forget to look both ways when crossing a Rail way path.
  • SideLoading= using one of the Belt Lanes.
  • Sprite = the Animations of Entities.
  • Stacker = the system you build to Load Trains.
  • Sushi = Mixing multiple mats in one belt or more.
  • Trash = mats that are not needed anymore. or old tech.
  • Troughput = industrial engineering term for out put of the system or installation being efficient.
  • Turret creep = Strategy using Defensive installations to move close to a Spawner.
  • QoL = (Quality of Life) refers the ability you use or gain by your engineer.
  • Quickbar = where you place links to your inventory to your items. the Bottom Center of your screen.
    Unless a Modder moves it to a vertical position on the side of your screen.
  •   Shortcuts = the buttons available beside your quickbar. to the Right.
  • Zoo = Gathering point of Swarms
  •   Swarms = Bunch of bitters and spitters etc.  
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
Last edited by i_i on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Terminology & Dictionary Consensus.

Post by DaveMcW »

Do not use any of those terms, unless an article with that name exists to explain what they mean.

Currently Sprite is the only term with an article, and it is only relevant for modding.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

These seem to be suggestions for the https://wiki.factorio.com/Glossary which does have entries for entities and outposts.
I'm not sure if there is a need to define some of the fairly self-explanatory phases like the solar phase. It might be helpful for newcomers to see what is meant by bootstrap or burner phases, and I am sure we could have some... vigorous arguments about exactly how to define them 8-)
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Amarula wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:05 pm
These seem to be suggestions for the https://wiki.factorio.com/Glossary which does have entries for entities and outposts.
Ironically that glossary describes a "Boostrap factory" as the entire factory used to complete the research tree before starting to plan a megabase. As most people do not build megabases [citation needed] I find that very unexpected. It illustrates nicely that the term "bootstrap" is not meaningful without defining what exactly is being boostrapped.

The phases listed by @OP are even more vague. I have no idea what "Armor Stage" is supposed to be, and from my own playstyle I would locate "Solar Stage" (if you absolutely must call it that) after "Rocket Stage" - the part where you mass produce solars to produce gigawatt-sized arrays. Because I find nuclear is easy and cheap, and UPS optimizations from solar are not needed when you haven't even launched a single rocket. And when I hear "mid-game" (vanilla) I think oil and blue science, not steam engines.

Furthermore the term "stage" imho implies a clean division. But in my experience bots/nuclear/rockets happen intertwined with each other and trains don't even exist in some base types. So I concur with @DaveMcW: Don't use vague playstyle-based terms.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Modding & Game Terminology & Dictionary Consensus. GLOSSARY

Post by Bilka »

Thank you for the note about "bootstrap" eradicator, I've removed it from the wiki page. Other than that, the first post is not about the wiki, so I am moving this thread (from wiki talk) to general discussions.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

What do you call the entities that are Placed in the Map?

Post by i_i »

The Logistics & Production Category of Items/Mats UNITS? Specifically those group the LPUs?

Return to “General discussion”