Why don't forests regenerate over time.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Why don't forests regenerate over time.

Post by Rjskeet »

Let's be honest theres 2 enemy's in factorio. The Bitters and those absolutely vile trees. Bitter bases can regenerate and expand. While forests really only get cute down and never are seen again once cleared away. I feel like it would be cool to have forests regenerate and trees spawn back in(slowly) once a mining outpost shuts down or pollution receds it would make it seem like nature is healing. Also would make trees into a farm able resource.

I would like to know peoples thoughts on this, because after burning away forests I thought about it and realized all those resources are completely gone never to be used in expanding my glorious factory. Has anyone else felt that way?

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why don't forests regenerate over time.

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

What would you use trees for? The only thing that makes sense would be wooden chests, which you shouldn’t need unless you are striving for extreme ups and the natural trees should yield enough wood for.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 am
What would you use trees for? The only thing that makes sense would be wooden chests, which you shouldn’t need unless you are striving for extreme ups and the natural trees should yield enough wood for.
Wooden chests increase UPS? Compared to what?

BaggyK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BaggyK »

Other larger chests. The more slots the chest has, the more processing power is needed to add or remove items.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

But you can reduce the slots of any chest using the X button.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

One of the elements of the Krastorio 2 mod that I particularly enjoyed was the green house, that allowed you to generate wood making it a farmable resource, and also allowed you to grow trees to plant to make your own forest. Making fertilizer from dead biters to increase wood production was fun too.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Qon wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:27 am
NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Wooden chests increase UPS? Compared to what?
Apparently this is no longer the case (inserters now remember the slot they were using,) but larger chests, even when limited, used to cost more time because the inserter had to check each slot to decide whether or not to place the item should be placed there.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

TaylorItaly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TaylorItaly »

To get back to the question of op : There was a mod for .18 which let trees grow all over the place.
As i first played with him and didn`t adjust the numbers right , the trees would rise everywhere , they where a truly enemy ,
after a while it was unplayable.
To bad that mod isn´t updated anymore.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
There is no use for wood but natural behavior and diversity increases immersion to game even that have not straight meaning for gaming. If devs use lots of resources for visual things I prefer this more than fancy buildings. I hope even more that ugly waste around biter colonies and nuclear craters would decay during time. Long time, like 20-50 h for full recovery, would be OK, because I play very long games. Also possibility to plant trees from saplings would be nice for aesthetic improvements. There could be headquarters area with parks, water pool etc. in base.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Hannu wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:27 am
NotRexButCaesar wrote:
There is no use for wood but natural behavior and diversity increases immersion to game even that have not straight meaning for gaming.
I considered making a mod that adds wood resource to all buildable things.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I played a map once with tree spreading. It turned into a jungle base.

I used

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Noxys_Trees

and recommend it for that trees don't grow on paved tiles with that mod (otherwise they would drive you nuts). And

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CharcoalBurner

along with it (you will get a lot of wood, you have no use for, when you expand the base).

Return to “General discussion”