Alt-F4 #34 - How Did We Get Here?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AlternativeFFFF
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Alt-F4 #34 - How Did We Get Here?

Post by AlternativeFFFF »

This week’s issue #34 has Nanogamer7 start on a potential new series of articles about the very origins of Factorio. This week features a dive into potential inspirations for this masterpiece of a game, with a diversion into game design here or there. Stay awhile and listen!

Continue reading: https://alt-f4.blog/ALTF4-34/

alarig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Alt-F4 #34 - How Did We Get Here?

Post by alarig »

I think that the game “Soviet republic (workers and resources)” has been largely inspired by factorio as you have a belt system to transport stuff, some trains with signals and you also have to transport stuff from one factory to another to transform your resources into something usable.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Recently tried Satisfactory and realized again how most other factory simulations (sadly) are a essentially dumbed down* version of factorios system (intended or not). Other games force me to repeat the same one-belt+splitter solution over and over again. Factorios addition of a second belt lane and inserters makes the puzzle so much more diverse it's not even funny anymore.

* And before the haters come: I'm not bashing. It has other qualities. I'm only talking about the logistics part.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

eradicator wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:50 pm
Recently tried Satisfactory and realized again how most other factory simulations (sadly) are a essentially dumbed down* version of factorios system (intended or not). Other games force me to repeat the same one-belt+splitter solution over and over again. Factorios addition of a second belt lane and inserters makes the puzzle so much more diverse it's not even funny anymore.

* And before the haters come: I'm not bashing. It has other qualities. I'm only talking about the logistics part.
I remember being disappointed that Satisfactory didn't have a second belt lane.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

The Mechanized Assault & Exploration (M.A.X.) games (1 : 1996 and 2 : 1998) could potentially have been an inspiration :
in them you have to mine metals, oil and gold,
and then all of these resources, including fuel and ammo need to be physically transported to their destination via units with cargo or Connectors (think bundles of pipes) :

Transfer tutorial :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Tkju23oJE&t=1007s
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “General discussion”