the zen of factorio code

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

the zen of factorio code

Post by meems »

hi,
Factorio code seems to be a world leader wrt processing enormous amounts of data yet running extremely fast and smooth.
When I try to program my own factorio inspired ideas, my code can only handle a few thousand 'items' before significant slow down occurs.

When John Carmack pioneered fast 3D engines in the 1990s, his co-worker Michael Abrash wrote 'The Zen of Graphics Programming' that described how John's amazing code worked.
Is there an equivalent 'The Zen of Logistics Programming' that covers how Factorio coders create such fast logistics code?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: the zen of factorio code

Post by ssilk »

A lot of information about that can be found in the Factorio blog. It’s spreaded over the years.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

I had a look at the blog, its not hashtagged or ordered other than by date, so at first inspection it seems there's some work to do to filter all the blog posts about fast logistics code algorithms and program structures.

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

thanks

Hirthe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hirthe »

Chill out games that focus on growing and relaxing rather than shooting or racing are not a rarity. They are not given the same exposure as their blockbuster counterparts, but they are plentiful and popular click here
Last edited by Hirthe on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Hirthe wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:11 am
Chill out games that focus on growing and relaxing rather than shooting or racing are not a rarity. They are not given the same exposure as their blockbuster counterparts, but they are plentiful and popular.
You mean clicker-type games?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

starlinvf wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Hirthe wrote:
Chill out games that focus on growing and relaxing rather than shooting or racing are not a rarity. They are not given the same exposure as their blockbuster counterparts, but they are plentiful and popular.
Sim something, stuff tycoon, whatever simulator, ... and I've not even mentioned idle incremental games (those you don't need to destroy your mouse to play).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Koub wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 pm
starlinvf wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Hirthe wrote:
Sim something, stuff tycoon, whatever simulator, ... and I've not even mentioned idle incremental games (those you don't need to destroy your mouse to play).
But the goal of Cookie clicker is to automate cookie production, so you don't need to click. At least until the chipocalypse starts.

Return to “General discussion”