The thing that bothers me since game start

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
uliks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

The thing that bothers me since game start

Post by uliks »

I am not sure did anyone notice, but there is one thing that realy make this game looks ugly for me. And that are belts that are muving even if items stay still on them, and item does not even fall from the belt or get destroyed or anything. And whats wors for me to see is that belt is muving even if it is kilometers long and full of items.
I am not sure how no one saw this before or no one cares. Am i the first one. But i am sory if i ruined your vision of how perfect this game is. So sory, but this unrealis is annoying to me, because this game is mostly focused around belts. So i hope i am not only one and they will get fixed in the near future.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The thing that bothers me since game start

Post by starlinvf »

You've never seen a Sushi Belt get backed up before? A well made belt would either back up, or stop... not throw items off it. And even that aside; the benefit is being able to easily tell what direction the belt is facing when its stalled, so you can follow it back to the blockage. If the animation stopped, you couldn't easily tell which way its going.

And I'm pretty sure you're the only one bothered by this. I find it insanely helpful in quickly identifying build mistakes, blockages, and flow control issues.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I am sorry this bothers you. That's just how it works in the game. It's not going to be be changed.

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by khalismur »

uliks wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 pm
[...] So sory, but this unrealis is annoying to me [...]
Was the game supposed to be 'realis'? I didn't get the memo :D

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

khalismur wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm
uliks wrote:
That doesn't surprise me as much as I hope it would. After seeing the big controversy about Gameplay vs Cinematic Trailers the internet was having the other year, I'm pretty sure we're straight up in social dystopia mode. Where narrative is more factual then facts, and perception is whatever the narrative demands.

Instead of being dark and depressing, its colorful and anxiety fueled. Frankly..... Orson Welles gave humanity way too much credit.

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by khalismur »

starlinvf wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:38 pm
khalismur wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm
uliks wrote:
That doesn't surprise me as much as I hope it would. After seeing the big controversy about Gameplay vs Cinematic Trailers the internet was having the other year, I'm pretty sure we're straight up in social dystopia mode. Where narrative is more factual then facts, and perception is whatever the narrative demands.

Instead of being dark and depressing, its colorful and anxiety fueled. Frankly..... Orson Welles gave humanity way too much credit.
What did you hope to be surprised with?

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

I'm sure there was a mod back in the day that caused items to spill onto the ground if they reached the end of a belt.

I can't find it now, but I can't imagine it was all that popular. Interesting idea, but quite unfun for most people I expect.

All the frustration of accidentally deequipping your armor when your pockets are full, but happening all the time while you're still in the burner phase.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Lol, I've never noticed this before (or maybe I have, but didn't care enough to really register it), but come on people - He makes a very good point. It makes absolutely no sense.

In terms of realism, though, that's a rather terrible argument. Far worse crimes against realism in factorio, and realism certainly does not necessarily make a game fun.

If realism is your thing, I suggest you start up a factory IRL. I hear Musk might be hiring.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:33 pm
I'm sure there was a mod back in the day that caused items to spill onto the ground if they reached the end of a belt.

I can't find it now, but I can't imagine it was all that popular. Interesting idea, but quite unfun for most people I expect.

All the frustration of accidentally deequipping your armor when your pockets are full, but happening all the time while you're still in the burner phase.
Not a mod, that was vanilla - it was changed in 0.12. There were mods made later to bring that behavior back. Like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/belt-overflow

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Silari wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:28 am
Not a mod, that was vanilla - it was changed in 0.12.
It is so since beginning of the development. It has never changed.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:17 am
Silari wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:28 am
Not a mod, that was vanilla - it was changed in 0.12.
It is so since beginning of the development. It has never changed.
It never behaved like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/belt-overflow in vanilla, but they would overflow off the end of belts by one instead of stopping at the end of the belt.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yeah, the first item falls off the belt, stayed on ground on the next tile and so it stopped the following items to fall off. That’s right. :D

I remember that this caused strange stuff, like that the end of the belt should not be built under an inserter-input, but one tile before, because otherwise the two items on ground could never been picked up by inserters. That was many times meant to be a bug. And I was quite happy with that change, even, if I need to rebuild many thing an that current factory. :)

In the end the game is about playability, not realism.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

uliks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by uliks »

I realy like the belt managing in the game, and i think it should be much more harder for player. Meybee it should be more complex, i am sory.

(Meybee they should have diferent strenght to push different weights, becouse some times should have different wight, and some times there can fit more items on one square of the belt, witch i realy like in this game.)

But also i find this game way to easy and straight forward. There is actualy nothing to worry about.

Thats why when i played this game, i was always extra careful not leave items on belts. Couse we are not in the factory, and the weather can ruin metal and sensetiv electronic.

Only thing i realy haveing lots of fun are actualy logic gates.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:55 am
I remember that this caused strange stuff, like that the end of the belt should not be built under an inserter-input, but one tile before, because otherwise the two items on ground could never been picked up by inserters
A while ago I watched a YT video where someone showed off his very first base. Built a long time ago and imported into the newest version. It was exactly like that. Inserters picking off from past the build and he wondered why it was like that

Eketek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eketek »

What bothers me is the absurd difficulty of setting up nuclear reactors. It ought to be as easy as cake - Drop load of high-enriched uranium into a chest with a tank of water next to it, then walk away and think no more about it. Just like it would work in real life.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, and seriously, why can't we we stack more than 10 nuclear reactors and 50 centrifuges at a time in our backpack? I mean, come on.

Anyways, silly as this complaint was, it made me think a bit about how factorio could potentially be changed into something more in terms of abstracted production cycles with clearly well defined inputs and outputs rather than one gigantic spaghetti mess of interconnected flowing resources across belts.

This particularly conceptualism works well when you're dealing with trains, schedules, and loading/offloading.

Perhaps that's the right response here to the OP - try trains? That may give you what you're looking for in terms of dealing with back pressure and under/overloads
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Eketek wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:41 am
What bothers me is the absurd difficulty of setting up nuclear reactors. It ought to be as easy as cake - Drop load of high-enriched uranium into a chest with a tank of water next to it, then walk away and think no more about it. Just like it would work in real life.
But... that's not the way it works in real life. Be thankful most of the real world complexity has been shifted into comparatively much less game complexity. The whole heat pipe complexity may be a pain to set up, but once it is, you can just insert a fuel cell anytime you want power, and not have to worry that slamming a reactor from full stop to full power will blow it up.

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

I remember when the change was made that the first item no longer fell from the end of a belt, some people suggested to add a stopper grid graphic there to make it more plausible that item's get stopped. So you're not the only one. I assume it was never a huge concern though. I don't mind watching the belt rub along the lower side of blocked items. Something stops them in the end, I don't have to care how it works.

Only thing that looks weird imo is that some icons have very obvious visual gaps between each other while lying blocked on a belt (iron sticks maybe?). We never know, but I dont quite expect an item rework just for that though. :D

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Here's a worse one: The belts move without any source of power.

It's just done that way to make the game more fun.

CaptainSlide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CaptainSlide »

The conveyor moving and items staying still is exactly how some conveyors work IRL. Bottling lines in particular work this way. The constant motion of the conveyor pushes the bottles along the line and into the next process. Many of the operations like capping or labeling require the bottle to be taken of the line, usually by a "star wheel" (circular disc with a semicircular pockets that fit the bottle). These star wheels have no means of grabbing the bottle other than the force delivered by the motion of the conveyor line. Other machines use scrolls with pause points (ie the helix pushing the goes to a zero angle). Without the force of the line pushing the bottle it would stall in the pause point and not get moving again, which would cause the scroll to push it of the line. Note all of these lines have guides to keep the bottles in place.

Other production lines have conveyors which start and stop.

It's horses for courses and comparing real life to a game is just an exercise in frustration because real life isn't necessarily that straight forward either.

Return to “General discussion”